Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But I don't think you can keep doing things that way. As you move towards a more mass market product you move from the early adopters to the average consumer. They have different expectations.

Oh, I agree. I was just suggesting that the "small office" model might be a cost-effective way for them to have a presence in regions where it is not currently viable to fully set up shop (ie: Saskatchewan). As before, such locations would be temporary.

History is littered with failed EV companies that put social issues ahead of the bottom line. I find Tesla's approach of actually having a working business model both refreshing and necessary. Tesla still gets heat for building a "luxury" car rather than an affordable one for the masses right away, but the wisdom of this choice has become clear. They are accelerating the advent of sustainable transport under the constraint that they need to be profitable and survive. I trust they are making the right decisions as far as that goes.

You're probably right. Sometimes I forget Tesla is a "player" now with shareholders to appease and isn't the tiny idealistic startup it used to be. It would be nice to see coverage in line with mochouinard's map by the end of the decade. They should have the US and Europe completed by then and Tesla have stated repeatedly that they will never stop building out the network. Still, we need to keep pressure on them and let them know there is demand up here so they don't just forget about us. The tone of this thread felt like it was shifting toward "just be glad you're getting anything at all" and I find that disagreeable.

Ok so we have reached Decemeber 1st with Kingston not up and running. This is more than a little distressing. Presumably it's a simple matter to hook up. How do we make some noise and get this happening?

The crew that installed the SC's busted their butts to get done quickly and efficiently. It seems crazy to me that the project is now at a complete stand still. Is this a scheduling issue? Equipment? Hydro? Inspection/permit?

If someone knows...let me know how/if I can help on the ground.

I think I owe someone drinks...I predicted this would have been done last Friday, d'oh!

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Last edited:
Montreal Update:

Based on Kingston install, it look like it would be fully connected by opening night friday.
IMG_20141201_120812.jpg

While I was there, they started install the Tesla Logo !!!
IMG_20141201_115729.jpg

General view of the front of the building. They kept the metal cover where the underground cable terminated. I don't think they will dig cross the street, install the pipe, refill everything and fix the sidewalk by Friday ! Either this SuperCharger won't be fonctionnal, OR it can be powered by the current they already have going into the building. It only 2 stall, so maybe they can. Worst case senario, they rent a generator, but it would more than suck if people end up filling their car with electricty from gasoline.
IMG_20141201_120703.jpg

The crew that installed the SC's busted their butts to get done quickly and efficiently. It seems crazy to me that the project is now at a complete stand still. Is this a scheduling issue? Equipment? Hydro? Inspection/permit?

Presumably the crew that installed the SC's has completed their contract and now can get paid. The rest is someone else's job.

Are you familiar with what is happening in Hope, BC? Or should I say not happening?

This pattern has been repeated many times. There was a Supercharger installation in Arizona which waited, if I remember correctly, 5 months for a utility transformer. At least it looks like the transformer is on site in Kingston, so hopefully it won't be a long wait.

Perhaps the "by the end of the year" in the announcement was not a typo.

Montreal Update:

Based on Kingston install, it look like it would be fully connected by opening night friday.

While I was there, they started install the Tesla Logo !!!

General view of the front of the building. They kept the metal cover where the underground cable terminated. I don't think they will dig cross the street, install the pipe, refill everything and fix the sidewalk by Friday ! Either this SuperCharger won't be fonctionnal, OR it can be powered by the current they already have going into the building. It only 2 stall, so maybe they can. Worst case senario, they rent a generator, but it would more than suck if people end up filling their car with electricty from gasoline.

Many "Mobile" Superchargers are powered by building power, so that should work for a single Supercharger Cabinet. As long as the building can provide a 225 Amp, 3-Phase, 480 Volt connection for a 135 kW Supercharger Cabinet, or 350 Amps at 208 Volts for a 90 kW Supercharger, they can skip the Distribution Cabinet.

This Kingston delay is really bugging me too. I have a drive to Ottawa on Dec 13th. Without that supercharger I may be forced to take my ICE, and pay for a hotel instead of camping in my nicely-warm Tesla for a few hours (I will be up late at a wedding and then have to leave for home VERY early the next morning, so a hotel seems like a total waste of time and money given I'm solo on this trip, and the trunk makes a great bed with a mattress/pillow)

Please get it hooked up, Tesla!

So I'm going to be passing through Kingston on Saturday.

If my pattern holds then it will be running next week.

Of course I'm also going to the Montreal store opening... if my pattern holds they won't have their Supercharger running in time. In that case I might not be able to make it to Kingston!

I asked for an update from my Kingston contact and got this response:
The transformer is in place but the ball is back in the builder's court for metering requirements before the City can flip the switch. I am trying to get an update from the developer.

The last photo I saw from the site was Monday morning, when the transformer was there but the concrete pad for it wasn't done. Have they installed the transformer since then? I suspect not -- I'm guessing "in place" just means it's sitting on the ground at the site, and "flipping the switch" is actually getting Utilities Kingston to put in the concrete pad, install the transformer, pull the cables and hook it up. Then there's Tesla's commissioning test to do... looks like I'm out of luck for Dec 4, but maybe it'll be there for the return trip on Dec 10.

No Barrie would indeed be bad news. I can often get to the cottage driveway in Muskoka but not within "extension cord distance" of the building. The round trip is out of the car's range, and stopping in Orillia or Barrie Level 2 sites just robs me of the limited weekend time I have to spend there.

No Barrie would indeed be bad news. I can often get to the cottage driveway in Muskoka but not within "extension cord distance" of the building. The round trip is out of the car's range, and stopping in Orillia or Barrie Level 2 sites just robs me of the limited weekend time I have to spend there.

Try this for your cottage

Tesla UMC Extension Cord via Camco 50 AMP 30 PowerGrip - TESLARATI.com

I made my own but this looks way better.

- - - Updated - - -

file:///Users/lanceneveu/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Mail%20Downloads/C197B334-0452-4515-9CF8-FA7A68ECC82F/IMG_4836.JPG

Montreal is coming along!

Montreal Update:
The 3 HPWC is in placed, but no power into them... I still took a pose for prosperity :)
IMG_20141202_212447.jpg

And I'm officially the first Tesla to connect to the Montreal SuperCharger !!! WEE :)
IMG_20141202_213135.jpg

Ok since I can't claim I'll be the first to charge, this is the best I'll get so, leave me be :)

They paved the section they excavated. but hard to see much with the snow.

The HPWC I tried, the button on the remote didn't work. As far as I know, it should even if not powered on no ? (my Mobile connector seem to do it, or there is a left over charge).

Well if the left over charge theory pan out, well the SuperCharger button did work, so could that mean that it was energized not long time ago but not 'enabled'... This could give good chance that it functional already but not enabled yet !!!

Michael, I'd be interested to know what your rated km range is to get to Barrie from 400/407. I'm up the 400 extension towards Parry Sound and will need to drive about 206 km (one way) from door to door.

And I'm at the Best western in Kingston, coming from Montreal (stop at Cornwall to top off the batteries)... Charging at 40km/h...
I'm quite frustrated that the SC is almost ready, but not plugged yet. I'm sitting at Tom's Place (snack bar next to the Best Western) in front of the fireplace, so the 3h wait could be worse...
Going back to Montreal on Sunday... Could you join me and pray that the SC will be up by then (let me dream a little!).

And I'm at the Best western in Kingston, coming from Montreal (stop at Cornwall to top off the batteries)... Charging at 40km/h...
I'm quite frustrated that the SC is almost ready, but not plugged yet. I'm sitting at Tom's Place (snack bar next to the Best Western) in front of the fireplace, so the 3h wait could be worse...
Going back to Montreal on Sunday... Could you join me and pray that the SC will be up by then (let me dream a little!).

Too bad you didn't get dual chargers... I get 69km/hr at BW Kingston. But then when the supercharger comes up, it won't matter any more!