Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And they took me in yesterday without an appointment. They had a technician test drive the car to decide if it was serious, or could wait. It turned out they had to replace the left and right front rear lower control arm. It is a full day process since they need to drop the battery out.

( My summer tire change appointment earlier this year was bumped by a day since they had unexpected drop-ins that required service asap, which I didn't mind).

But with the SC's being so busy...I see a 3rd SC opening soon in Ontario.

Those of us in Ottawa using Montreal or Toronto for service would like to see a SC in Ottawa.

Tranmere is leased space in an industrial mall. Tesla has no incentive to invest in a supercharger at this location. Not to mention the lack of physical space to put one, or the fact the Tranmere is not conveniently located near any major highways.

4.3km from the 410 and 2.2km from the 407 says otherwise. (That's less than Lawrence Avenue SC from the 401 @ 4.6km) That said I personally would never want a SC there as I can't imagine ever using it. :)

It's a bear to get to Tranmere at rush hour, or anywhere near rush hour.

Maybe I'm just numb to GTA traffic, but I actually don't find it that bad. Just get off Hwy 407 at Dixie Rd., drive one block and you're in the industrial subdivision about 1 km from the service center. I've gone there before and after work many times when it would be considered "rush hour" and have not had any trouble at all. Certainly if you're coming from afar, as you would, just getting through Toronto on the 401 would be rough. The 407, although a toll road, is generally pretty good.

While I haven't gone to the Lawrence Ave. site in rush hour, I used to work at Lawrence and Underwriters (a couple km further east of the DVP) and that was brutal in rush hour.

Maybe you guys should start a Eastern Canada Service Center thread ;)

Yeah, we certainly do digress when there is no new Supercharger activity...

- - - Updated - - -

mknox the last time I took my Roadster to Tranmere it was an hour from the 401 to the service center.

From the 401 you would probably be going north on Dixie. Lots of truck traffic along there and I can see that being rough in rush hour. As I say, the 407 is much better. Even if there were room for Superchargers, it would really only be of benefit to 407 travellers, not those on the 401. However, I maintain the same is true of Lawrence... not particularly convenient for 401 travellers, but they do have lots of space there. Yorkdale Mall does have a big lot, and I always thought that would have been a better Supercharger site.

Yorkdale would be a great site but it will never happen.

Parking is at a huge premium there. The new construction area there now is adding 5 levels of underground parking and they are projecting this will still not be enough.
They keep building parking structures, realizing they can add more retail, taking down the parking structure adding the retail and rebuilding the parking.

I know there's probably Auto space to be had at 401 + Dixie and all along the 401 going west but i'm not sure does Tesla locate near or at Auto Malls?

I know there's probably Auto space to be had at 401 + Dixie and all along the 401 going west but i'm not sure does Tesla locate near or at Auto Malls?

There are a few restaurants adjacent to the Dixie/401 Auto Mall and it would also be a good spot with easy on/off of the 401.

But back to Yorkdale... Tesla does have a block of spots already that, if electrical capacity were made available, could be a good spot for even 4 Superchargers:

Yorkdale_1.jpg

I think that it is advisable to place key superchargers outside of major urban areas, as chargers within urban areas wind up not being available to long-distance travelers due to locals getting their daily charge for free.

In the Toronto context, that means relieving any overcrowding by putting the next GTA superchargers: 1) somewhere between Bowmanville and Cobourg; 2) someplace west of the city like at the 401 and Trafalger Road; and 3) perhaps in Grimsby for when people are driving back from a Bills game in December with a cold soaked Tesla.

But back to Yorkdale... Tesla does have a block of spots already that, if electrical capacity were made available, could be a good spot for even 4 Superchargers:

Is that an old photo, or did they replace the HPWCs with Clipper Creek J1772s? Capacity is way short, last year they even had to cut the HPWCs down to 48A from 80A.

Which brings me to the Montreal Center. As you know, when they had the grand opening ceremony the two Supercharger stalls were not powered on. In addition, the HPWCs were all set to 40A. Since it was an open house, an owner-electrician was able to walk to the back and discover a freshly delivered, 500 kVA transformer, waiting to be hooked up. This unit came online to power the Superchargers, but it doesn't seem big enough to allow for much future growth. Therefore, any additional stalls in the Montreal area are likely planned for another location, probably in 2016.

I think that it is advisable to place key superchargers outside of major urban areas, as chargers within urban areas wind up not being available to long-distance travelers due to locals getting their daily charge for free.

Agree, but Yorkdale Mall just happens to be right adjacent to Hwy 401 for travellers going through Toronto. (Toronto isn't always the destination).

- - - Updated - - -

Is that an old photo, or did they replace the HPWCs with Clipper Creek J1772s? Capacity is way short, last year they even had to cut the HPWCs down to 48A from 80A.

It's a very old photo that I was just using to show the space. Capacity is indeed limited there, but a Supercharger would involve a whole different set of infrastructure aside from whatever capacity the mall had to give for the Level 2 charging stations. Not saying it wouldn't be expensive... just possible.

In the Toronto context, that means relieving any overcrowding by putting the next GTA superchargers: 1) somewhere between Bowmanville and Cobourg; 2) someplace west of the city like at the 401 and Trafalger Road; and 3) perhaps in Grimsby for when people are driving back from a Bills game in December with a cold soaked Tesla.

1)As discussed many times Cobourg is optimal IMHO, Not sure why nothing is even planned yet between Kingston and Toronto! It's the last well travelled gap in Southern Ontario.
It's 106km to Lawrence, which is good as I think it'd be best to skip Lawrence if possible due to traffic, west of Cobourg might be too close to Toronto which may be the origin for a lot of trips so you'll have destination charged already. It's also 147km to Kingston SC which is an achievable distance in bad weather even for S60's. Any further east would be Colborn which has very little in terms of infrastructure and amenities (sorry big apple) or Trenton/Belleville which might be too far if drivers are coming from the west who skipped charging at Lawrence SC and is only 81 km from Kingston SC.

3) It would have been good if the Buffalo SC was closer to the city/border rather than beside the Airport. Along the 190 would have been ideal.