Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easy and effective low frequency fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone verify this happens on non tinted Model Ys? If so could you specify what has been tinted and what hasn’t? For me I used the Xpel XR plus, which I know is a 1.5-2mm high end, extremely durable tint. On all glass including clear on windshield. But nothing on the roof glass.
Yes, it happens on non-tinted cars. Mine had the low frequency booming at delivery. Applying a tint (all windows + roof) made no difference.

I can see how tint would make the car a bit quieter since it's softer (more sound absorbent) than glass. I don't see how it would make it any louder. I certainly wouldn't pull it off.

My best guess is that while messing with your hatch during the job they somehow changed one or more of your stops.

Adjust them to all be equally firm as the first step. For an hour and a couple of dollars, you could make the rigid stops I described in the first post in this thread. No need to scrap a nice tint job.
I'm with @MY-Y on this one. I also think they removed/adjusted your hatch stops while removing the plastic around the hatch window. Adjust those properly and see if it goes away.

Reactions: ilovecoffee
I'm with @MY-Y on this one. I also think they removed/adjusted your hatch stops while removing the plastic around the hatch window. Adjust those properly and see if it goes away.
Oh right if it's applied to the rear hatch window then the two hatch stops in the middle (not the ones at the tail lights) have to be removed to take out that trim piece.

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
I had both buffeting and low frequency resonance and they are not related. You can actually feel the buffeting if you sit in the cargo space and touch the rear glass on hatch while someone else is driving the car over potholes etc. Vinyl tubing fixed that, and no amount of rigid stop adjustments helped before I added vinyl.
The low frequency resonance comes from metal panels and wheel wells and you need to add butyl and maybe foam to fix it (I added both). After fixing both, I took 600 miles trips with no ear pressure or headache. It still not a Lexus and has stiff suspension but I am not committing to coilover yet.
How did you do it?

Looking to do the vinyl tubing inside the rear rubber seal soon enough. Can anyone verify the diameter as I’ve seen both 5/16”and 3/16” used in this thread. As one poster mentioned the 5/16 didn’t fit for him. Has the rubber seal inside changed diameter in recent builds? Thanks so much. I have a ‘23 so I want to make sure I’m headed in the right direction.

Looking to do the vinyl tubing inside the rear rubber seal soon enough. Can anyone verify the diameter as I’ve seen both 5/16”and 3/16” used in this thread. As one poster mentioned the 5/16 didn’t fit for him. Has the rubber seal inside changed diameter in recent builds? Thanks so much. I have a ‘23 so I want to make sure I’m headed in the right direction.
5/16 should fit for anyone. It might take a few opens and closes and driving around to settle in place for some though.

I'm using 3/8“ but that's probably the absolute biggest you could fit and I wouldn't recommend starting with that.

3/16" might not accomplish enough as it is probably too thin.

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet