TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Easy DIY aero mod reduces wind noise and *probably* increases range

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by ratsbew, Aug 6, 2018.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

I simply put a run of black electrical tape along the window seams on top of the car. If you do it well, it could almost pass as a factory seal. I definitely notice a decrease in wind noise when driving and I suspect that it may add a mile or two of highway range (maybe???).

The front is harder to make look good since it is curved. The rear seam is straight and dead easy to make it look okay.

As for residue, just use goo-gone and it comes right off. Clean that up with some dish soap.

The tape does contract length if you have it slightly stretched when you apply it. Aim to not have much tension on it when you apply it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 1
  2. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

Good DIY, but this is more elegant :)

• Informative x 1
  3. garrity

garrity Member

• Informative x 1
  4. chilman408

chilman408 Member

5. garrity

garrity Member

As I recall they use the hollow core to better allow for temperature flexing

• Like x 1
  6. Fusion

Fusion Member

Wonder if they could make an official seal. Hum... would you guys buy a set if there were an option for a better looking one that kinda just snaps in and looks better than the tube?

7. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

Tubing solution looks like it will come out in a commercial car wash. ???

8. JFW1103

JFW1103 Member

Nice find, Trevor B. I saved the link.

9. Wubbles

Wubbles Member

Is the noise reduction kit still needed on newer model 3s that supposedly addressed the wind noise issue

And any downside in installing the kit? Is it easy to remove and reinstall for whatever reason.

10. Narekzo

Narekzo Member

This might be a dumb question but is there a particular reason why Tesla didn't seal that up in the first place?