Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easy iTunes playlist syncing for Tesla USB flash drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Major Lance, seeing "Unknown Object Type"

Went through all the steps, several times (thanks for clarifying what CLI means and where the folder is)

Successfully got the Sudo command to work as seen in your screenshot

Installed the script

When I run the script, though, I get the error "Unknown Object Type"

Thanks for your help...

seth

This is fabulous. Thanks for the generous contribution. Going to try it now...

thanks major lance and Ra San, running ra Sans program now. Copying 17,286 files and playlists from my iTunes library. soon hope to hear my songs in my way. thanks again too you both. I love slacker, but sometimes you need to listen to an album or playlist in the order it is meant to be.

Ra-San: Seems to have worked I won't have time to properly check it until after work tonight. But I seemed to stop copying at S (Not T's to Z). Is there a way to just scan and add missing folders? I just popped in the min i usb this morning so songs appeared but were still loading and I had to exit to go to work.

I think I may delete and start from scratch as i have a nested old music folder embedded within iTunes Music folder (when they moved xml lib file i had major repairs and this seemed to work so I left a nested subfolder with some duplicates and the missing music). Think I will try to flatten into proper format on my mac pro and than re-run the program and see if it all shows up than.

Thanks again... I am eagerly awaiting having access to my iTunes playlists and music.

thanks again

love the program missed listening to my albums in proper order versus slacker. one issue lot my songs seem duplicated in the tesla but on the usb i see only one song listed.. any thoughts?
Did you duplicate tracks into multiple folders on your USB stick, e.g. because you put multiple playlists into different folders, and one or more of those playlists duplicate some number of tracks? I suspect so. If you are then playing by the folder tab only, you will only have duplicates if you put duplicates into that specific folder, BUT if you use some of the other tabs in MS Media Player, they only look across all folders and will see the dupes and show them on the non-folder tabs.

If that does not makes sense, please be a lot more specific as to how you've built and organized your USB stick, and what tabs you are using to playback in your MS. While much of the info is up-thread, THIS page on my personal website may also be of some assistance.

I suspect there is a file with no extension, and I overlooked that particular case when I was logging the extensions skipped. I fixed it on my system, and am testing. Will push it if I think it's solved. In the meantime, if it's just a stray file, you can move it, or you can use playlists instead of the folder copy (presuming all the playlists files have extensions). Will try to have a fix out on Wednesday.

Update: I tried to recreate it, but couldn't. I'd thought I'd tested that case before and handled it ok - in some of the sample screenshots that's why it shows the " files skipped: <some number>" in the extensions skipped list, because no extension was getting reported to me as an empty field vs. a non-existent one (which probably sounds odd, but makes a difference to the part that crashed).

Regardless though I don't at the moment see where else it would be, and there's was a potential issue there so I "fixed" it (hard to say fixed though, when you can't see the problem).

I also enabled a log message for skipping a file with an unknown or empty extension. I had it turned off in the interest of not adding too much cruft to logs, and I haven't added an "enable verbose logging" setting or anything yet (probably should). You can see the log messages in the Console app.

Here's the updated app. https://github.com/tattwamasi/TeslaTunes/releases/download/1.2.2/TeslaTunes_1.2.2.zip

I'm really not sure this is the issue for you, so would appreciate you letting me know after you have a chance to try the update. You can PM me, use the issues feature on the project page, or whatever. I did already add an issue for it in the issue tracker: crash when scanning library
I don't seem to be getting my AIFF files converted and copied. Here is a screenshot from the Teslatunes app...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 5.57.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 5.57.48 PM.png
    192.3 KB · Views: 66
I don't seem to be getting my AIFF files converted and copied. Here is a screenshot from the Teslatunes app...
This free app isn't (intended to be) a full-blown format converter. From my reading the TeslaTunes ReadMe and GitHub introduction, as well as the example image showing all AIF were skipped, the app appears to be oriented to dealing with FLAC, MP3 and AAC.

If you need TeslaTunes to provide some of the tagging benefits to circumvent MS (and I assume MX from your sig) Media Player problems, I suggest you:
  1. Use another utility to first convert your AIF tracks (and any other that were skipped) to a format that TeslaTunes will accept (FLAC would be a good choice for your AIFF tracks), placing those converted files into a temporary directory
  2. Then point Tesla Tunes at that temporary set of files as input, so it can take care of the very unique title and tagging changes other utilities are not designed for
Good luck.

Reactions: msnow
This free app isn't (intended to be) a full-blown format converter. From my reading the TeslaTunes ReadMe and GitHub introduction, as well as the example image showing all AIF were skipped, the app appears to be oriented to dealing with FLAC, MP3 and AAC.

If you need TeslaTunes to provide some of the tagging benefits to circumvent MS (and I assume MX from your sig) Media Player problems, I suggest you:
  1. Use another utility to first convert your AIF tracks (and any other that were skipped) to a format that TeslaTunes will accept (FLAC would be a good choice for your AIFF tracks), placing those converted files into a temporary directory
  2. Then point Tesla Tunes at that temporary set of files as input, so it can take care of the very unique title and tagging changes other utilities are not designed for
Good luck.
Thanks. I'd forgotten that AIFF isn't actually Apple Lossless.

What we really need is the Tesla media player to support m3u playlists (like 99.99% of all the cars and media players) and all of this will be just a distant memory! Or, add Apple Carplay support (sorry Android user) and we'll have even more...

My two cents! :)

I wonder why, after another year, this has not been addressed nor solved within the Tesla firmware. Using Spotify does not replace being able to listen and control playlists which many of us have curated over many years.

I have an iPod with bluetooth but the car will only allow one device to be connected, [therefore phone disconnects] and I feel it is essential to be able to control the playlist from the touchscreen, and to be looking at one's phone or iPod when driving.

A USB stick will play music, as we all know, though the car, so what small piece of software is missing from the car to allow it to recognise the output from, for example, an iPod.

Tony
Manchester
England

My travels force me to drive a lot of economic rental cars and almost always I can plug my iPhone in a USB socket and play music right away without loss of quality over BT. The speakers on those cars do suck but that is not the point here. The point is what prevents Tesla from making this work? If cost was a constraint they can surely absorb that in the UHFS package cost.

Folks: We're going further off-topic here, as this thread is oriented to @majorlance's Applescript to assist with syncing tunes to a USB stick. I'd suggest there are better threads to discuss:

TeslaTunes: Easy iTunes playlist syncing for Tesla USB flash drive

Infotainment Issues, lack of features and wishlist:

Reactions: msnow