Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easy way to bypass new AP speed limit restriction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok sorry, so it seems that this works only in canada or anywhere KPH is used. I could not try this in the US yet but it seems that it has the opposite effect in the US :(. Here is a video link I just uploaded.

Speed limit is 30 KPH units set to KPH. AP limit is 30KPH. Units changed to MPH. Limit increases to 30MPH which is 48KPH.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
...and in doing this you of course are prepared to void any warrantee relating to auto pilot and its use, right?

Let alone the potential legal issues that might arrise against Tesla for responsibility for any accidents you may or may not cause.

...Just sayin'

Dan
Hey, my first "Dislike'!

Guess I saw it coming. My concen here is that Tesla is obviously breaking new ground with their autopilot. There are going to be people...lots of people, looking for a reason to shut it down, delay it, anything they can do to negate the obvious advantage this technology gives them.

Tesla has put these speed restrictions in place for a reason. To hack around them is to put the entire project in jeopardy. Enjoy the technology as it is now and let's patiently wait for Tesla, the public and the government to warm up to it without giving people a reason to shut it down.

As always, just my two cents. I would hate to see a few individuals ruin it for everyone else.

Dan

I would guess that Tesla reads the signs and coverts them into U.S. vs metric. This helps in Canada because changing to mph is faster (30mph>30kmh, i.e. 48kmh)

In the U.S. as one person stated, car will go slower, (30mph read as 30kmh, or 18mph)

That does not matter you can simply raise the speed limit on the AP to any desired speed. Try it it works.
Hey, my first "Dislike'!

Guess I saw it coming. My concen here is that Tesla is obviously breaking new ground with their autopilot. There are going to be people...lots of people, looking for a reason to shut it down, delay it, anything they can do to negate the obvious advantage this technology gives them.

Tesla has put these speed restrictions in place for a reason. To hack around them is to put the entire project in jeopardy. Enjoy the technology as it is now and let's patiently wait for Tesla, the public and the government to warm up to it without giving people a reason to shut it down.

As always, just my two cents. I would hate to see a few individuals ruin it for everyone else.

Dan

Dan,

No one is really hacking anything here. Just pointing out a bug in the software.
I agree with you as long as Tesla keeps improving and making technology safer. Problem here is that with this upgrade it's unsafe to use the AP on an undivided road. One of the decision factor when I purchased the car was the AP. Now they are slowly removing its functionality. Not cool.

Dan,

No one is really hacking anything here. Just pointing out a bug in the software.
I agree with you as long as Tesla keeps improving and making technology safer. Problem here is that with this upgrade it's unsafe to use the AP on an undivided road. One of the decision factor when I purchased the car was the AP. Now they are slowly removing its functionality. Not cool.
They are removing functionality because they switched systems and the Nvidea system needs driver miles to be input to learn to the level that the Mobileye system had. Once it gets there (which will be very soon) the functionality compared to the original system will be through the roof. Patience is a difficult thing. Hang in there, it's going to be great.

Dan

They are removing functionality because they switched systems and the Nvidea system needs driver miles to be input to learn to the level that the Mobileye system had. Once it gets there (which will be very soon) the functionality compared to the original system will be through the roof. Patience is a difficult thing. Hang in there, it's going to be great.

Dan
But that does not address the concerns of those of us ON APv1 who's original functionality has been first limited to +5mph and now neutered to just the speed limit. We don't have the new Nvidia hw/fw for this APv2, so why reduce the functionality of the Mobileye system that already accurately performs at +5mph on most roads where it is advisable to enable to utilize Autosteering?

But that does not address the concerns of those of us ON APv1 who's original functionality has been first limited to +5mph and now neutered to just the speed limit. We don't have the new Nvidia hw/fw for this APv2, so why reduce the functionality of the Mobileye system that already accurately performs at +5mph on most roads where it is advisable to enable to utilize Autosteering?
So you find it unreasonable that they limit you to following the law when using auto pilot? What would a judge do to Tesla if you were involved in an accident where the software allowed you to break the law by speeding? Let alone the public outcry.

They have to implement these restrictions if we are ever to see this technology accepted.

Dan

Conventional cruise control has been used by every auto manufacturer in the world for decades with no constraints on speed. That's the precident here. They don't need to reinvent the wheel. AP is an evolution of a technology that has already established that the speed one drives is up to the driver not the CEO of the company that makes the car. More especially given the cars ability to correctly even be aware of what the speed limit is, is fairly limited.

To avoid potential law suits...plain and simple.

Dan

This has nothing to do with law suits. I drive my 90D in the UK. We have the highest concentration of speed cameras in the world. If I drive at 70mph ( the speed limit ) on the motorway, I am overtaken by 90% of the traffic! I do not like having the Autopilot crippled, as it has worked just fine for the 6 months I have owned the car. I worry that as I have AP1, the new software for AP2 will not function correctly on my hardware. I have refused the latest update. I will continue to refuse the updates until I see new features that actually benefit me.

Just tried OP's trick! In Canada, switching to miles indeed allows you to set any speed! Now the difficult part is trying to figure out what speed is "safe" to set to lol. Typically I limit myself to speeding at <15km/hr in city roads (dependent on road)...but the conversion from km/hr to miles/hr will always be confusing

(I.e. Autopilot let me drive 60mph in a 80km/hr zone (50mph) after changing my settings from kph to mph)