TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Easy Way to Convert iTunes ALAC to play in Model S USB Port

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by Avexzek, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Avexzek

Avexzek Member

Having trouble to play Apple ALAC format music file on your Model S ? or feeling trouble to export your iTunes Playlists to ur USB ?

This program may help.... !!

https://github.com/tattwamasi/TeslaTunes

Enjoy

2. ITSELE

ITSELE Member

Imagine having your entire collection of music (including high resolution 24 bit files) available to you in your Tesla.

I would like to personally recommend TeslaTunes. I converted from ALAC to FLAC the old fashioned way (manually with XLD) and it took me over a week of babysitting the process (I have 50,000 songs). It's also complicated by having aac and mp3 files that DON'T need to be converted and you have to filter those out by creating smart playlists, etc...

With TeslaTunes, you just choose your options and let it do the rest. It takes about a day for my collection but I have many hi resolution files (24 bit) that take a little longer. I dump them on a 2 TB drive and plug this into the USB port. I hide the drive behind my center console in the back.

I wish Tesla would support Apple Lossless (ALAC) as it is open source but TeslaTunes makes it easy to convert. I'm sure it's on their "to do" list at a very low priority.

3. Avexzek

Avexzek Member

By The Way ITSELE ..... Do you have any solutions for the Album Cover Art problem... ? So far none of the my music file from USB can display the Cover Art ... !!

4. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

And how long does it take your S to scan the music on your 2TB drive? I have a reasonably fast 32gb flash drive and it takes it ~30 seconds before you can play any music.

5. ITSELE

ITSELE Member

Crazy late reply...sorry. Model S does not support embedded Album Cover Art. It downloads Album Art from the internet using the album, artist, and track name tags. If you have this "metadata" correctly listed in your files, then the album art will be downloaded automatically.

6. Avexzek

Avexzek Member

No Worry ITSELE !! Thanks for the reply !! And now Spotify do all the job for me !!!

7. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

My 128gb stick can take up to 30 minutes to load. Really annoying when Tesla suggests pulling USBs before rebooting...

8. ITSELE

ITSELE Member

It takes about 30 minutes and I have about 1.5 TB of music...about 50,000 songs. Once it loads you don't have to reload until the car reboots i.e. with a system update. It hasn't been a problem really.

I think the load time is a function of how much metadata it has to read i.e. how many tracks and albums which is why my 1.5 TB of music takes the same time as your 128gb stick.

Anyway, I don't have to reboot that often. I just wish tesla supported ALAC (apple lossless) so I don't have to convert my entire library.