Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easy Way to Convert iTunes ALAC to play in Model S USB Port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imagine having your entire collection of music (including high resolution 24 bit files) available to you in your Tesla.

I would like to personally recommend TeslaTunes. I converted from ALAC to FLAC the old fashioned way (manually with XLD) and it took me over a week of babysitting the process (I have 50,000 songs). It's also complicated by having aac and mp3 files that DON'T need to be converted and you have to filter those out by creating smart playlists, etc...

With TeslaTunes, you just choose your options and let it do the rest. It takes about a day for my collection but I have many hi resolution files (24 bit) that take a little longer. I dump them on a 2 TB drive and plug this into the USB port. I hide the drive behind my center console in the back.

I wish Tesla would support Apple Lossless (ALAC) as it is open source but TeslaTunes makes it easy to convert. I'm sure it's on their "to do" list at a very low priority.

Imagine having your entire collection of music (including high resolution 24 bit files) available to you in your Tesla.

I would like to personally recommend TeslaTunes. I converted from ALAC to FLAC the old fashioned way (manually with XLD) and it took me over a week of babysitting the process (I have 50,000 songs). It's also complicated by having aac and mp3 files that DON'T need to be converted and you have to filter those out by creating smart playlists, etc...

With TeslaTunes, you just choose your options and let it do the rest. It takes about a day for my collection but I have many hi resolution files (24 bit) that take a little longer. I dump them on a 2 TB drive and plug this into the USB port. I hide the drive behind my center console in the back.

I wish Tesla would support Apple Lossless (ALAC) as it is open source but TeslaTunes makes it easy to convert. I'm sure it's on their "to do" list at a very low priority.

By The Way ITSELE ..... Do you have any solutions for the Album Cover Art problem... ? So far none of the my music file from USB can display the Cover Art ... !!

By The Way ITSELE ..... Do you have any solutions for the Album Cover Art problem... ? So far none of the my music file from USB can display the Cover Art ... !!

Crazy late reply...sorry. Model S does not support embedded Album Cover Art. It downloads Album Art from the internet using the album, artist, and track name tags. If you have this "metadata" correctly listed in your files, then the album art will be downloaded automatically.

Crazy late reply...sorry. Model S does not support embedded Album Cover Art. It downloads Album Art from the internet using the album, artist, and track name tags. If you have this "metadata" correctly listed in your files, then the album art will be downloaded automatically.

No Worry ITSELE !! Thanks for the reply !! And now Spotify do all the job for me !!!

And how long does it take your S to scan the music on your 2TB drive? I have a reasonably fast 32gb flash drive and it takes it ~30 seconds before you can play any music.

It takes about 30 minutes and I have about 1.5 TB of music...about 50,000 songs. Once it loads you don't have to reload until the car reboots i.e. with a system update. It hasn't been a problem really.

My 128gb stick can take up to 30 minutes to load. Really annoying when Tesla suggests pulling USBs before rebooting...

I think the load time is a function of how much metadata it has to read i.e. how many tracks and albums which is why my 1.5 TB of music takes the same time as your 128gb stick.

Anyway, I don't have to reboot that often. I just wish tesla supported ALAC (apple lossless) so I don't have to convert my entire library.