Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eaton Center in Toronto is getting a Tesla Showroom

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the permit status

C7B58CF6-157F-444B-AD81-91073A3081D9.png

Doesn't seem like such a bad idea to me. It's an extremely high-traffic downtown shopping center that's a 5-10 minute walk from the bulk of the office towers in the downtown core. If someone wants to check out a Tesla on their lunch break, it's a much better location than Yorkdale Mall.

From a demographic perspective, I'd think Tesla would want to have a store close to an area where thousands of (generally) well paid people come to work on a daily basis.o_O

Doesn't seem like such a bad idea to me. It's an extremely high-traffic downtown shopping center that's a 5-10 minute walk from the bulk of the office towers in the downtown core. If someone wants to check out a Tesla on their lunch break, it's a much better location than Yorkdale Mall.

From a demographic perspective, I'd think Tesla would want to have a store close to an area where thousands of (generally) well paid people come to work on a daily basis.o_O

But people who shop there either 1. Can't afford a Tesla or 2. Able to afford a Tesla but won't buy 1 because they live/ work downtown, can't justify spending $$$ for the car to be parked most of the time & TTC is more convenient.

According to Cadillac Fairview’s shopper statistics for the Eaton Centre:

- Average age is 34
- Professionals represent only 11%
- Tourists account for 38%
- Average shopper household income is $77K/yr, vs $121K at Sherway Gardens, $109K at Markville, $89K at Fairview

The GTA has 4 Tesla sales locations, Montreal only has 1, Ottawa has 0... Eaton Centre is great exposure as the mall sees 50M annual visits. Should Tesla still be spending big bucks on exposure, or on locations that can maximize sales (and service!) under one rooftop, in markets that are underserved compared to the GTA?

Last edited:
But people who shop there either 1. Can't afford a Tesla or 2. Able to afford a Tesla but won't buy 1 because they live/ work downtown, can't justify spending $$$ for the car to be parked most of the time & TTC is more convenient.
You do realize that a huge number of people who work downtown don't live downtown, right? There are tens of thousands of people who live in the suburbs, who own houses, and who commute downtown either by car or transit to work in the downtown core. Those people will be more likely to buy a Tesla than someone who lives in a 400 square foot box and takes the TTC to work, and this store will be located a short walk away from where many of them are working.

Regardless of individual opinion, Tesla has obviously determined that it makes sense for them to have a store in this location, and I suspect they understand their business requirements and reasons for choosing this location better than we do, so...

Reactions: I am 3LECTRIC

Do you ever shop there lol? It's demographic is very young.

Maybe it’s simply just a temporary lease and it’s a good marketing opportunity. There’s a high Asian content from Toronto University who will be going back to Asia with high end jobs or are from wealthy families, also parents visiting will no doubt check one out before putting money down or waiting for the GF 3 to be up and running. Or even buy their kids one for graduation. I don’t see it as a bad thing if the revenue is greater than the expense, they may even throw a few HPWC’s in the carparks. That would offset the expensive parking fees.

I think Tesla has given up placing more stores in la belle province. Too costly to make French only signs for a tiny part of the North American market! Had the Parti Quebecois and the Robert Bourassa Liberal government of the late seventies not implemented Bill 101, Montreal would be a thriving metropolis. A far cry from what it is now.

• Disagree
Reactions: PatP
I think Tesla has given up placing more stores in la belle province. Too costly to make French only signs for a tiny part of the North American market! Had the Parti Quebecois and the Robert Bourassa Liberal government of the late seventies not implemented Bill 101, Montreal would be a thriving metropolis. A far cry from what it is now.
WTF are you saying? That Tesla can’t afford to speak in French or what?

Reactions: PatP and bijan
Target would be the 905's who drive in for work or drive down with the family for a weekend shopping/day trip to the city. Think about it? Who benefits the most from a 500km AWD car? It's the folks out in the snow belt that drive a lot out of necessity. The folks who gas up their trucks, SUVs, and Minivans. The folks who'd get free access to the HOV lanes in rush hour.

People who put 3000km+ a month will do the math and come to realise they can get an amazing car at the same TCO after five years and not burn fossil fuels... the decision makes itself.

Now if the government would put a HOV lane during rush hour across the 401 - that'd be fantastic! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

As a fan I'm really hoping the Eaton Centre location still happens.. sigh.

I work in the Toronto downtown core where (1) the average income is quite high and (2) most of these workers are in non-tech fields like finance, consulting, and corporate management positions. They all have heard (mostly crap in the media) about Tesla and Elon but maybe 1 in 5 will have any basic knowledge of the cars, the supercharger network, charging at home, etc.

I guarantee the majority of the oldschool middle aged workers who can be swayed from their next BMW, Mercedes, Audi, or Porsche need to see and feel the car before really giving it a serious thought. Most will never be bothered to go seek out the Tesla stores in Oakville or Lawrence in person but almost everyone who works downtown WILL make their way to Eatons Center at least once or twice a year to run errands, get Apple Store service, or do last minute gift shopping.

This store location would really be THE prime location to educate the a ton of potential buyers in the financial heart of Canada.

/rant

Reactions: 5JMJ