Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ebay - Roadster 1.5 - Vin 5YJRE11B081000301 - Salvage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... I also feel bad for the buyer at this inflated price.

Yeah I feel bad for the buyer also, as I picked up #164 for about the same price and it has absolutely no damage to it at all, apart from the salvage title from theft and ESS is physically missing. My local service center is even willing to put in an ESS in it (for 40k), but I'm holding out for either building my own ESS, or waiting for the new "400 Mile" ESS to come out.

Why was the ESS missing in #164? That's what they stole? I heard the ESS's are programmed with the VIN so moving them around need some special tools.

I agree on that auction for #301 that there's some odd things, I believe he bought the roadster with a dead ESS, then bought the UMC to charge it back up and when that didn't work he looked into the ESS replacement cost and went "Zoinks, I'm in over my head." Then unloaded it.

Here's some links on #301 before it was crashed:

Fusion Red Tesla Roadster for sale #301

(links are dead within the post below)
Red #301 - Van Nuys

2008 Tesla

Untitled 1

The latter one had 4300 miles on the odometer when it was still alive in Scottsdale Arizona. Looks like the person who bought it next (most likely Ohio) took it for its last ride in one original piece.

Last edited:
Hope the guys that bought it don't end up needing to replace the battery. I tried to break down the value in total if the vehicle were parsed out, I estimated it between 25 and 30K. I think once this thing got above 20k, it was no longer a good buy unless they get lucky enough to have a repairable ESS. The body work is easy enough to repair, frame doesn't seem to require repair, luckily no seatbelts, airbags or windshields needed. Hope it gets rebuilt rather than torn down though!

Yeah I feel bad for the buyer also, as I picked up #164 for about the same price and it has absolutely no damage to it at all, apart from the salvage title from theft and ESS is physically missing. My local service center is even willing to put in an ESS in it (for 40k), but I'm holding out for either building my own ESS, or waiting for the new "400 Mile" ESS to come out.

So in other words you bought a roadster for 20K, and you are blinking at owning a complete functioning roadster for 60K.

Given current prices, you can get the roadster sold for 75K.

If I were you, I might just go ahead and buy the ESS.

Just MHO.

Best,

T

So in other words you bought a roadster for 20K, and you are blinking at owning a complete functioning roadster for 60K.

Given current prices, you can get the roadster sold for 75K.

If I were you, I might just go ahead and buy the ESS.

Just MHO.

Best,

T

75K seems unlikely as non salvage cars seems to be in the 60's i.e. here's buy it now for 71k (base model 1.5) on ebay. Also due to the salvage title of #164, I don't think it would actually sell that well, but I could be wrong as an refurbished ESS would have a warranty that comes with it.

I like to use all the knowledge I gained learning about #783 ESS, to make my own lighter and cheaper ESS, hence my search for a bricked ESS 1.5. But if Tesla comes out with a cheap 400 mile ESS, then I might go down that route.

Last edited:
Why was the ESS missing in #164? That's what they stole? ....
Lots of speculation and word of mouth, but my only fact is I got papers from the sale that included the insurance company reason of salvage, it says theft. Also I know the ESS was removed professionally (99% sure of this) as having removed/installing one myself it's not a small feat.. and there are no indications that it was removed in a non professional manner.

... I heard the ESS's are programmed with the VIN so moving them around need some special tools.
Well people have said that about PEM's too, but that in fact has turned out not to be true.

75K seems unlikely as non salvage cars seems to be in the 60's i.e. here's buy it now for 71k (base model 1.5) on ebay

Agreed, as I just purchased a 1.5 in excellent condition with 12K miles and with a refurbished ESS with one year warranty, and I paid $60K. And I know of a good 1.5 near me, with low miles, that sold through shiftcars.com a few months ago in the low 60's.

I have thought a little about selling mine if money gets tight for us. Its a 2010, 25k miles, salvage title, great condition other than title (180 ideal miles @ ~151CAC). What do you all think it might sell for?

I have thought a little about selling mine if money gets tight for us. Its a 2010, 25k miles, salvage title, great condition other than title (180 ideal miles @ ~151CAC). What do you all think it might sell for?

They say anything that has a salvaged title goes for half of the current selling price of a comparable vehicle with a clean title. Typically market will pay more than 50% depreciation due to the title. However what will work against this is that anyone who will be buying a Roadster as a collector car will not consider a salvage, so the clean titles will always hold a higher value. There are others who beware of the salvage title since they don't know the full story on the car and worry about its integrity. So in essence you're funneling the market down to a smaller amount of buyers who are willing to purchase in that state.

In my own experience I've seen salvage title cars go for 30-40% of the price of a clean title car. I don't see that percentage changing for the Roadster.

They say anything that has a salvaged title goes for half of the current selling price of a comparable vehicle with a clean title. Typically market will pay more than 50% depreciation due to the title. However what will work against this is that anyone who will be buying a Roadster as a collector car will not consider a salvage, so the clean titles will always hold a higher value. There are others who beware of the salvage title since they don't know the full story on the car and worry about its integrity. So in essence you're funneling the market down to a smaller amount of buyers who are willing to purchase in that state.

In my own experience I've seen salvage title cars go for 30-40% of the price of a clean title car. I don't see that percentage changing for the Roadster.

While in many cases this is true, rare and collectable cars are somewhat different. Rarity of the cars will lift market value despite a salvage title.

A Ford Focus with a salvage title will have a different percent salvage cost relative to a 1969 GTO Judge, for example.

Our Roadsters are rare birds, and as such they will value out somewhat differently.

While I agree that a salvage title Roadster will not value out at 100% market value, it should be well above 50%.

That being said, I think my point about the car with the missing EMM is misunderstood.

I would throw in a new EMM in order to have a cheap roadster for me to keep and drive myself. Heck, I would even modify it to allow less computer restriction on the motor in order to allow greater high end and greater acceleration (There are rumors that Roadsters can accelerate better than 0-60 in 3.0 seconds when modified). There is no warranty, so who cares. Just modify away and drive it like you stole it. You can also try to make your own battery pack that allows duel charging, or anything else your heart desires. You have the PERFECT platform for a test vehicle!

I would not sit on it and wait for a used EMM to come on the market.

Anyway, that is just my way of looking at it, and of course I may be in a minority.

Your mileage may vary, as they say.

Best,

T

While I agree that a salvage title Roadster will not value out at 100% market value, it should be well above 50%.

No way above 50%. The salvage title car will always float up with the value of the clean title car, but the risk is to great. Plus I'd never personally risk paying 6k+ for a salvage car. With the Roadster my ceiling is 12k due to parting it out and breaking even or making a little above the work/cost. A well educated buyer will wait for one to come online for sale that's clean and pay more to ensure the title is clean.

Consumer Reports calculates that a salvage-title car is worth 50 percent of its Kelley Blue Book value, at best. I'm sure there's good statistics behind that.

Second, you can't fully insure a salvaged title car. So the risk is even higher. So you're going to risk having someone hit and run on your 6k+ car and lose it all? That's what people don't want to risk.

Before buying my Roadster I considered a salvage title one and passed. I've bought/sold cars, salvaged/clean title cars in since I've been 17 and understand the market for them. Also I won't ever buy a salvage car unless I know the full history.

A salvage Roadster allows a person to try the car, with risk, and possibly make out, break out even. But in most cases it'll run you more in the long run.

Last edited:
While I agree on this for any mass produced car, I think all bets are off in the long-term on any car where there was only ~2500 of them made.

How much would you pay? Also you can't fully insure, so you're open to risk losing out in your investment close to 100%? It'll never be picked up by a collector with that type of title.

Who's your target audience? You won't get someone with lots of $$. You also won't get someone who's good with their $$. You'll only get someone trying to get into a car they've been admiring at a price point that they can afford and risk losing it all at any moment driving it.

Salvage cars make good cars to experiment with as well as track cars.

Being rare, the value will follow a good percentage off of what the clean title rare vehicle will bring. Its relative.

No way above 50%.

We will respectfully disagree. The E-bay sales car is a dog, but the car with no EMM is ripe for restoration and a decent price due to lack of structural issues.

In any event, I would have bought an EMM and slipped it into the other car, and not planned on selling it. A fully operational Roadster for 60K seems great to me.

Have a great weekend Wiz.

T

We will respectfully disagree. The E-bay sales car is a dog, but the car with no EMM is ripe for restoration and a decent price due to lack of structural issues.

In any event, I would have bought an EMM and slipped it into the other car, and not planned on selling it. A fully operational Roadster for 60K seems great to me.

Have a great weekend Wiz.

T

Honestly I don't think ebay is a good market gauge. There's different buyers there. Many ebay buyers are ones who are uneducated and pull the gun without doing research. Those in the broad car market do thier homework. So how much would you risk not having fully insured and pay Tobash?

I constantly am scanning the road driving for other people's adverse actions in my Roadster and its fully insured. One I love it, two its a rare car I appreciate, three its lots of $ tied up. I can't imagine the stress if it wasn't insured.

Honestly I don't think ebay is a good market gauge. There's different buyers there. Many ebay buyers are ones who are uneducated and pull the gun without doing research. Those in the broad car market do thier homework.

Ebay is the perfect gauge. Money is money. Such data can be used against insurance companies on a claim.

I also used to sell cars and restore them, probably not too different a car man than you.

We have two differing but valid perspectives. From your past posts and your posts to me, you are obviously a good guy.

I think I'm gonna just leave it at that and say I accept your opinion. I won't weigh in on this again. You're a fellow car guy. I respect that, a lot.

Best,

T

Well its whatever the market yields. Again you're funneling out your audience by having a salvaged title, that alone affects the price having less people to offer it to. Do a search on "classic cars salvage title selling" and you'll see the results, read the forums. These are people who are in the market.

If I had a salvage vehicle, I'd document with pics of the original car with the damage with pics of the repair process. That way you can show some sort of confidence to the buyer and can justify a higher price than the rest of the salvage cars that may also be in the market. In some of the forums I read that some people have succeeded in getting full insurance, but the premium is very high.

Lastly, Tesla does not officially support selling parts nor repairing Roadsters, Model-S's with a salvage title. It can be done but its difficult and some service centers will turn their back on you.

I'm happy to see a classified ad with a salvage title classic/exotic car that got over 50% of its clean title value where the price of the car was over $25k.

Cool you're a hands on guy too. Discussions are good. And in reality the price a car brings in does come down what the market holds and demand for the vehicle which also supply/# produced of the car plays a key role.