TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ebay

Discussion in 'Model S' started by irvineboy, Feb 13, 2016.

1. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

Any advice from buying a car long distance on ebay? The seller has a lien on the car and buyer needs a loan. How have others done this?

2. Ampster

Ampster Member

Assume the loan or use an escrow to hold title while paying off old loan and seller with new loan and new buyer money.

3. Quantum`

Quantum` Member

Careful though, you can not sue someone in another state. (lack of personal jurisdiction)

4. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

If controversy involves a transaction worth more than $75,000, federal court is an option. :)

5. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

Seller says everything is done through his broker. I have never done this before and not sure why it goes through a "broker". Ebay has escrow.com but I dont think that handles title transfers, etc. Is this a red flag?

6. Ampster

Ampster Member

It is a red flag to me, unless the broker is also an independent fiduciary. Escrow.com says it handles motor vehicles. That implies that it handles titles since proof of ownership on a motor vehicle is the title documents issues by the state where the car is registered.

7. Kandiru

Kandiru Member