TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Ebay

Discussion in 'Model S' started by irvineboy, Feb 13, 2016.

1. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

Any advice from buying a car long distance on ebay? The seller has a lien on the car and buyer needs a loan. How have others done this?

2. Ampster

Ampster Member

Assume the loan or use an escrow to hold title while paying off old loan and seller with new loan and new buyer money.

3. Quantum`

Quantum` Member

Careful though, you can not sue someone in another state. (lack of personal jurisdiction)

4. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

If controversy involves a transaction worth more than $75,000, federal court is an option. :)

5. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

Seller says everything is done through his broker. I have never done this before and not sure why it goes through a "broker". Ebay has escrow.com but I dont think that handles title transfers, etc. Is this a red flag?

6. Ampster

Ampster Member

It is a red flag to me, unless the broker is also an independent fiduciary. Escrow.com says it handles motor vehicles. That implies that it handles titles since proof of ownership on a motor vehicle is the title documents issues by the state where the car is registered.

7. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

8. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Does anyone know if the Ebay member called "telsa_motors" with a location in California is actually Tesla motors? They sell new Tesla stuff and they have "Buy-It-Now" prices that are better than the prices at Tesla's website, plus they have free shipping on a lot of items. And in looking at their feedback (152 - 100% positive), they accept a lot of "offers" that are below the "Buy-it-Now" prices, and you can make offers on many of their listing...

tesla_motors | eBay

Interesting.

9. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Quite so. Especially since I just bought a CHAdeMO adapter and paid more than they're asking.

10. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

Don't think this is Tesla's. And I think Tesla would be interested in the trademark infringement.

User ID Effective Date End Date
    tesla_motors Jan-08-17 Present
    tesla_store Dec-08-16 Jan-08-17
    gomelinfo777 Feb-08-16 Dec-08-16

• Informative x 1
  11. harry

harry Member

Do we really think Tesla would be buying tea, toys, clocks, etc. through a company eBay ID? (Check the "feedback as buyer" section for this ID.) There is no way it could be Tesla's. I do wonder where the stuff is coming from, tho. Out the back door of a SC? --- Just saying.....

• Informative x 1
  12. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Stay away without a clean title ...

Someone I know bought a car... the seller sent a check to the bank .. bank confirmed receipt and a clear title on the phone, transaction completed. Few weeks later, check did not clear, lien still in force. Dude got screwed out of thousands .....

13. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Curious on why you bought it from eBay for $435 when Tesla is selling it for only $15 more.

14. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

#14 Canuck, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    Good eye. I never caught that.

@ohmman bought his Chademo adaptor from Tesla but was saying perhaps he could have saved money from the ebay vendor.

If Tesla was the vendor, and the items came with a warranty, it might be worth making an offer at say $400 for the Chademo adaptor, since you also get free shipping. If accepted, you could save perhaps $100. That might be worth it. But given it's not Tesla, I will be staying away. I already have the Chademo adaptor anyway but it's interesting to see what he has for sale. I also wonder where he got this stuff.

• Like x 1
  15. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

He is probably one of those people that got 1k per referral and bought some merchandise to sell.

• Informative x 1
  16. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

That would take a helluva lotta referrals to account for the stock this seller seems to have.

Nonetheless, he/she is using a registered trademark and I'm positive Tesla would not be cool with this.

17. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

I bought my Chademo adaptor from an ebay vendor (babysharkev) for $400 with free shipping. Came in a sealed Tesla box. Had no problems with it. This vendor has a a bunch of Tesla stuff.

18. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Did he tell you how he obtained it? I like to know the source of my products so I am not inadvertently supporting any nefarious activity.

19. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

I agree, he told me he was licensed re-seller. You can look him up on ebay. Has been on there since 2002, lots of feedback, all positive. He seems to be selling Tesla electrical products (the cable bundle, wall chargers, etc.). All are there for list price or best offer with free shipping.

• Informative x 1
  20. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Active Member

I asked the seller "tesla_motors" the following question:

The response was:

I was very tempted by the potential discount, but I wonder if these adapters were purchased fraudulently. I have had zero problems with Tesla taking care of any of the issues I've had with my vehicle, but I wouldn't blame them for denying warranty service on an ill-gotten adapter.