Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eberhard upgrade of MC to 40 amps with adapters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BBHighway, since you intend to keep your MC120, you might just get some adapters from the NEMA 14-50 plug on your MC240 to whatever 208-240V outlet you might connect to. Of course you'll be limited to 30A and would have to manually set the VDS if the available current is less than that.

Yes, exactly. It's like you were reading my mind!

BBHighway, since you intend to keep your MC120, you might just get some adapters from the NEMA 14-50 plug on your MC240 to whatever 208-240V outlet you might connect to. Of course you'll be limited to 30A and would have to manually set the VDS if the available current is less than that.

That could cause a fire if you just put a 10-30 amp adapter on a NEMA 14-50 plug, then plug it all into a NEMA 10-30 receptacle.. If the car is still thinking to pull 40 amps, yet the adapter is daisy chained into a NEMA 10-30 (30 amp) receptacle, then it will get hot and could cause a fire.

The beauty of the Eberhard RFMC design is that this cannot happen. The diode in the plug adapter communicates with the micro controller in the box. This prevents the car from pulling more than is possible for the NEMA receptacle that you are plugged into.

If you are just putting a plain adapter on a NEMA 14-50 plug, be very careful about the amps you pull via the VDS.

The standard MC240 from Tesla is only 30 amp capable right now, so you can't really over-draw through it. (e.g.: NEMA 10-30 to 14-50 to MC240 is probably OK).

When they finally offer a 40amp capable version people will have to be more careful.

We have designed a new box for the Roadster Foundry Mobile Connector. It is a smoother look and is more waterproof.

http://www.evcomponents.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RF40AMP

3803557103_062d951a1f_o_d.jpg

James,

is it lager than the "old" one?
I am sure many want to know. Besides the technical features, one big advantage of the RFMC is that it is/was so much smaller than an MC240.

It is the same size as the previous one. The dimensions of the sticker are just off on that concept photo. The new design is really good and slightly more waterproof by reducing the number of penetrations into the box.

It is 1/3 the size of the big bulky MC240 from Tesla.
It also has more adapter options, will work with European electric standards and will do any voltage and amperage from a household outlet all the way up to 40 amps.

We think we could make it do 240 volts / 48 amps on the Tesla VDS when plugged into a 50 amp outlet. But those silly NEC rules are holding us back from offering that to the public.

At 240 volts and 48 amps, that is 68% of what the HPC provides at home.
A 5 hour recharge from empty while on the road with the MC. That would be really useful.

3742168934_8c73004583_o_d.jpg

Last edited:
I am going to redo the stickers so that Martin Eberhard's name is still on the sticker. But I also want to get my company's name on there.

The original was an engraved metal plate. But when it came time to order more, I found out they are $23 each, even when ordered in volume. So we opted for stickers. This actually reduces the number of penetrations in the box.

We have designed a new box for the Roadster Foundry Mobile Connector. It is a smoother look and is more waterproof.
3803557103_6d1ab27657.jpg

I can't say I like the new box. What's the material? You sure it's more waterproof? There may be fewer penetrations in the box, but what about that huge seam along the side? From the photo this looks like a standard thin wall metal project enclosure. They're not particularly waterproof nor robust and they get beat up pretty easily.

3740781396_8ab0420ff7.jpg

The original box is clearly smaller just by looking at the size of the cylindrical receptacle. The plastic can scratch, but it won't dent like metal can. It's also made to be weather resistant; it's molded plastic and the top screws down compressing a gasket. Screw holes, like the ones holding on the label plate, can be sealed with a little RTV compound, but water likes to wick along a seam (which is why it's nice to have a compressed gasket there).

Anyhow, just my opinion based on a photo and a lot of experience building electronics boxes.

You can consider the first batch of RFMC originals as the "Signature 14" each with an engraved metal plate ordered by Martin Eberhard.

Someone sent me an email that I found funny.

Martin Eberhard made the first 10-12 himself. This will be considered the Founder Series RFMC.

The ones that my team creates that still have the metal engraved plate (until we run out) will be the Signature Series RFMC.

Then standard production will continue with merely a sticker on the box.

Tesla traditions must be maintained....

To honor Tesla tradition, maybe James can show us an artist's rendering of of a Sports Edition with carbon fiber accents that are mysteriously missing in the delivered RFMC.
Well, not to sound too cynical... but to truly follow tradition, it would have to cost James more to build than Martin originally told him it would. Then James would have to effectively raise the price by making "optional" items that were previously included as standard. :tongue::smile: