Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eberhard upgrade of MC to 40 amps with adapters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the pigtails are all cross compatible between the old RFMC and the new RFMC.

I am sure a clever person can devise a way to permanently mount the unit.

Since you will have two of them, 1.0 and 2.0, I would use this one on the road. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
My Roadster Foundry Mobile Charger arrived today! Here, I've got it all packed into the trunk, next to the EAA Avcon adapter. The RFMC comes with an impressive length of thick 240V cable. I'm starting to think about what kind of more organized packing solutions I can come up with:
7828_101869343161678_100000158373541_54325_5676380_n.jpg

Here you can see the new design box, along with the yellow handled 14-50 plug, which works nicely with the Avcon adapter:
7828_101869353161677_100000158373541_54328_1042748_n.jpg

And, the entire setup:
7828_101869339828345_100000158373541_54324_6841482_n.jpg

There are a few more pictures in the album here (Facebook).

Still waiting on my charger...

SByer, what is the white car parked behind your Roadster?

The black rims look awesome on your car, btw.

Edit to add: We should (as a collective group) see if we can come up with a more organized solution for chargers in the trunk. Hate having to lose 50% of my trunk space just for charging stuff.

I'm still looking for a soft bag for my RFMC kit. I am leaning towards having one made that fits in the soft top inset. I prefer to stow the soft top "On top" anyway rather than stack heavy stuff or spill-able groceries on it.

I saw these Pocket Pods from Covercraft who make a Tesla cover with netted holes for charging fan flow.

If one of these pods were made to fit the lower trunk hole it could have a zipped or velcro'd trunk-like lid with maybe a stiff board insert with only gravity holding it down on the outside edegs. The long cable would hug the outside edges of the pod and all the pigtails should fit neatly in the center. When closed, you can store whatever you like on top. The arrangement would be much like many cars have spare tires stored.

Ding! TEG gets the prize! Yes, it's that Tropica.

I'm getting ~ 198V, 32A through this setup (gotta go check on it to make sure that I still am...) Not sure why the 198V. The Avcon box itself nicely states that it's good for the 32A continuous (rated at 40A). The adapter is good for that as well.

Yes, some sort of stiff-sided box with a firm top would work. The thick 240v cable isn't going to coil very tightly and is pretty much going to have to own half the trunk.

I'm getting ~ 198V, 32A through this setup (gotta go check on it to make sure that I still am...) Not sure why the 198V. The Avcon box itself nicely states that it's good for the 32A continuous (rated at 40A). The adapter is good for that as well.

It sounds like voltage sag from going through too many adapters. You likely started at 208 volts as your best possible. That is common in commercial buildings. We can recharge at 208 volts and 40 amps at our warehouse.

Yes, some sort of stiff-sided box with a firm top would work. The thick 240v cable isn't going to coil very tightly and is pretty much going to have to own half the trunk.

The cable coils nicely around the bottom border of the entire trunk. You barely notice it and can have the connector and box rest in the middle.

I'm still looking for a soft bag for my RFMC kit. I am leaning towards having one made that fits in the soft top inset. I prefer to stow the soft top "On top" anyway rather than stack heavy stuff or spill-able groceries on it. I saw these Pocket Pods from Covercraft who make a Tesla cover with netted holes for charging fan flow. If one of these pods were made to fit the lower trunk hole it could have a zipped or velcro'd trunk-like lid with maybe a stiff board insert with only gravity holding it down on the outside edegs. The long cable would hug the outside edges of the pod and all the pigtails should fit neatly in the center. When closed, you can store whatever you like on top. The arrangement would be much like many cars have spare tires stored.

On the floor of the Roadster trunk there are three stiff boards with a carpet-like surface on top of them. The two on the high sides are simply velcro'd down and the one in the lower center section has a tab to pick it up if you want to access the ridged bottom floor.
The RFMC junction box box is just slightly too big (tall) but if the center section board is removed and replaced with a soft bag to hold the junction box cables as show below then the bag could have a lid that sits on top of the opening lip and nicely fits between the two outside boards. That way the trunk floor now is flat with the charge cable hidden below.

CIMG6957.jpg

Very neat.

CIMG6964.jpg

Last edited:
Packing the RFMC

I pack the RFMC into the trunk by just coiling the cable around the perimeter of the bottom, putting the box and end wherever makes sense for the other items being stuffed into the trunk.

0009.jpg

I like that it's small and flexible for how it gets packed.

Your charger is being tested tonight with 5 others. Sorry for the delay. We ran into a box shortage. Have 25 more now.

Received it! Thanks!

On the floor of the Roadster trunk there are three stiff boards with a carpet-like surface on top of them. The two on the high sides are simply velcro'd down and the one in the lower center section has a tab to pick it up if you want to access the ridged bottom floor.

I have been playing with trying to coil mine on top of one of the "high sides" as you call them to leave the rest of the space available for the top or for taller things I might want to carry. I think if I could get a stiff box... or even just a stiff vertical divider to turn that area into a box to keep the cables from escaping I would be happy.

The experiments continue.

Never thought of that. The material is so thin that I would worry that the plug pointy bits would cut or poke through the bag.

True, but I was thinking that if the soft top bag was a good fit, then using it as a template would be possible, and improve upon it including by adding heavy plastic linings strategically to guard against such punctures/cuts.

True, but I was thinking that if the soft top bag was a good fit, then using it as a template would be possible, and improve upon it including by adding heavy plastic linings strategically to guard against such punctures/cuts.

Again, good thinking. Given that the cords fit in the inset as doe the bag with roof, I don't see why they wouldn't fit in said bag.

I just may give it a shot.

I've ended up coiling mine like Tom does, with the Avcon adapter at the other end of the trunk. It means I had to reverse the order of plugging in vs. putting on the soft top (yes, I actually store and zip up the soft top every time), but hey, I'm human, I'm adaptable.

There's even still room for my gym bag in the middle. Who says the trunk is tiny? ;-)