Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eCall emergency call system needs service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had this warning pop up earlier after charging on a public charger. The car had seemed to have lost all GPS location data. Navigation was not updating. Autopilot was not available. Rear camera went blank.

I was able to drive home and tried a two button reset. This didn't help and the problem remained. I had read the sentry USB can sometimes cause problems with the rear camera somewhere so I removed the usb drive I use and tried a two button reset again. The car seems all OK now. Went for a little drive and everything is back to normal.

Anyone else experienced this? I remained surprisingly calm throughout. I think having spent months reading this forum prepared me for the worst!

Car is running version is 2019.21.12.2

Reactions: Rooster6655
Had this warning pop up earlier after charging on a public charger. The car had seemed to have lost all GPS location data. Navigation was not updating. Autopilot was not available. Rear camera went blank.

I was able to drive home and tried a two button reset. This didn't help and the problem remained. I had read the sentry USB can sometimes cause problems with the rear camera somewhere so I removed the usb drive I use and tried a two button reset again. The car seems all OK now. Went for a little drive and everything is back to normal.

Anyone else experienced this? I remained surprisingly calm throughout. I think having spent months reading this forum prepared me for the worst!

Car is running version is 2019.32.12.2

I had the exact same thing happen on 27th Oct minutes after I had supercharged, and was moving and I setting a navigation destination.
Message - eCall emergency call system needs service
Map showed car near charging location, rear view camera screen black. No cruise or autopilot. 2 button reset did not change anything. Drove a few miles on motorway then stopped at next services, held brake pedal and did 2 button reset, still no change, map still showed car at previous location, rear view black etc.
Opened driver's door, selected Power Off, got out, closed door and locked the car. Waited 5 mins, then went back and unlocked, then all was OK. Software 2019.32.12.2, same as yours. Not had a problem since.

• Informative
Reactions: Compuguide
I had the exact same thing happen on 27th Oct minutes after I had supercharged, and was moving and I setting a navigation destination.
Map showed car near charging location, rear view camera screen black. No cruise or autopilot. 2 button reset did not change anything. Drove a few miles on motorway then stopped at next services, held brake pedal and did 2 button reset, still no change, map still showed car at previous location, rear view black etc.
Opened driver's door, selected Power Off, got out, closed door and locked the car. Waited 5 mins, then went back and unlocked, then all was OK. Software 2019.32.12.2, same as yours. Not had a problem since.

Thanks. A problem shared is a problem halved and all that. Hopefully just a one off then. My car was also showing at the previous location.

Excuse my ignorance but is a foot on the brake plus 2 button reset a slightly "harder" reset? Does selecting Power Off just accelerate the power down that happens automatically after a while?

Car is running version is 2019.21.12.2
I suspect it’s a bug in the software version. I’m also on 12.2 and I got the same warning while driving last week. In my case the error message cleared itself after about 30 seconds, and I’ve not seen it since!

Excuse my ignorance but is a foot on the brake plus 2 button reset a slightly "harder" reset? Does selecting Power Off just accelerate the power down that happens automatically after a while?

Very good questions, I've never found any information showing the difference between a double button reset and a brake on double button reset. Certainly looked very similar to me. Maybe the hard reset is an urban myth.

Had this exact set of problems. Fixed it in the exact same way.

Thanks for the info, always good to know. Where did you mange to glean this nugget of information?

I'd read it some where and have used both - after software update I do a hard reset even though its probably unnecessary. Needed a soft reboot couple of times too. Hard reset definitely is different as you can hear the various systems responding.

But just found this which shows the various options How to reboot your Tesla if something is going wrong

• Informative
Reactions: Compuguide
I have had this problem, however if I do a soft reset it seems to fix the problem.

Had a Tesla tech over to me today to fix another unrelated problem, and aksed him about it and he said it's a bug in the software that should be fixed with upcoming updates.

Just had this on 2019.40.2.1 38f55d9f. No amount of 2 or 3 button resets seems to help (and I've driven an hour since it failed whilst parked for 30 min). Will leave it overnight, and then power-off for a bit longer if it is still not happy. One point of note, the location where it failed has poor cell coverage, so maybe the GPS assisted fix is getting messed up.