Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eCall emergency call system needs service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same problem. eCall warning message. Rear cameras show a black screen, GPS stuck and also: the display lost its ability to automatically adjust to available light and switch night/day automatically.

I tried to reboot, as well as the Switch Off command in the menu. It did not help. So I reported the problem to Tesla via the app and made an appointment.

As I had to wait 2 weeks and fixing it also needed 2x 30-45 mins drive, I decided to try the disconnect 12v + Hi-Volt battery trick myself. This Youtube video proofed to be very helpful with that:
I am not a mechanical wizard, but this was an easy job taking me 5 minutes - because I kept on checking whether I was doing the right thing. And it immediately fixed all problems I encountered!

A few days later, having secured the fact that the car was still doing fine, I canceled the service appointment in the Tesla app. I was called within 30 minutes on what was happening. I explained and got confirmation that most likely, this should have solved all issues. If not, please report again to Tesla.
The Tesla guy also gave me one advice that I like to share here. If you reboot your car (foot on the brake pedal + pushing both steer wheel buttons), KEEP EVERYTHING PRESSED IN FOR 20 SECONDS. Apparently, the car will then take longer to restart which might already make the difference.

My last remark was to the Tesla guy. I told him to appreciate the call, but I would have strongly preferred to have a call shortly after I reported the problem, to instruct me on what I could already try myself before visiting the Tesla maintenance center. As this would have saved me (and in the future, other drivers) a lot of hassle, googling, experimenting and/or a preventable and time-consuming visit to a Tesla maintenance center.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
The Tesla guy also gave me one advice that I like to share here. If you reboot your car (foot on the brake pedal + pushing both steer wheel buttons), KEEP EVERYTHING PRESSED IN FOR 20 SECONDS. Apparently, the car will then take longer to restart which might already make the difference.

Just as I was beginning to think it was a fallacy, the brake + scroll wheel reset seems to have been mentioned by a Tesla service guy.

tbh, I do brake pedal reset as a matter of course when I need to reboot or do a software update as its unlikely to have any negative impact. I always count whilst I'm holding everything in and last few have taken much longer than normal. I was up to the 50's before the T appeared on the 202036.3.1 update and was beginning to think that we had a problem. I would normally have expected to be in the 30's.

Same issue here.
Tried soft and hard reset to no avail.

Don’t have any issues with rear camera or autopilot as others have reported, but everything does seem to take a while to start up when I get in the car. E,g I can get in the car start driving and the screen will be either blank or frozen, with no radio or anything for up to 60 seconds or so.

Will try the 12v battery disconnect trick tomorrow, see if it helps.
If not I’ll just have to raise a service request.

So i updated to this software earlier (2020 M3P).

I got back in the car about 10 hours later and i now have this message 'eCall emergency call system requires service - Contact Tesla Service'.

I also have no LTE connection now either.

Any ideas before I go hunting Tesla?
16049526969945147062920284319133.jpg

A hard reset (both steering wheel buttons and brake pedal until the screen restarts) could be worth a try - it worked for my model 3 earlier this year when it decided it didn’t want to charge.

Have you tried a reset?

Yes indeed, it seemed to work until i put my pin in. Then it set itself to my profile and the error message came back.
A hard reset (both steering wheel buttons and brake pedal until the screen restarts) could be worth a try - it worked for my model 3 earlier this year when it decided it didn’t want to charge.

Same thing happened.

Update: after having done the hard reset, whilst nothing halpened and i continued driving. It seems to have resolved itself when i wasnt looking as i got home and its disappeared.

Bit of Monday evening excitement.
I had a similar experience when I first drove today after the recent software update. To be honest the message flashed up and I had no clue what it said, as it disappeared too quickly. It is only seeing this thread that I can recognize what the message was. I assume it is now all resolved, and may have been spurious in the first place?

Reactions: stonecoldrmw

Just as I was beginning to think it was a fallacy, the brake + scroll wheel reset seems to have been mentioned by a Tesla service guy.

tbh, I do brake pedal reset as a matter of course when I need to reboot or do a software update as its unlikely to have any negative impact. I always count whilst I'm holding everything in and last few have taken much longer than normal. I was up to the 50's before the T appeared on the 202036.3.1 update and was beginning to think that we had a problem. I would normally have expected to be in the 30's.

I just stumbled upon further confirmation that brake pedal reboot is a real thing in official Tesla documentation. It also adds weight that my matter of course brake pedal reboot after an update may be beneficial in some circumstances. I'm not the main driver of the car, so I will also do a preemptive reboot to reduce the chance that a problem does occur when I am not in the car - the one occasion I didn't, I suffered screen flicker on the test drive. I always try and take the car for a quick test drive, but this is not always possible.

upload_2020-11-20_9-16-58.png

Last edited:
I just stumbled upon further confirmation that brake pedal reboot is a real thing in official Tesla documentation. It also adds weight that my matter of course brake pedal reboot after an update may be beneficial in some circumstances.

Rather than changing what happens during the reboot sequence my theory is that the recommendation to press the brake pedal is a safety thing ... in case the electric brake should release during the reboot and allow the car to roll if on a slope. The reason I suggest this is simply because there's no reason to have 2 different levels of reboot ... if holding the brake pedal down is more effective then why have a facility to do a reboot without?

Rather than changing what happens during the reboot sequence my theory is that the recommendation to press the brake pedal is a safety thing ... in case the electric brake should release during the reboot and allow the car to roll if on a slope. The reason I suggest this is simply because there's no reason to have 2 different levels of reboot ... if holding the brake pedal down is more effective then why have a facility to do a reboot without?

My understanding is that resetting with the brake is a "soft" reset that reboots the infotainment and parts controlling the screen. The car can still be driven when this is happening.
The foot-on-brake is a full reboot of all the car's systems and the car cannot be driven or moved during this

<edit> Here you go: Reboot instructions for your Tesla - Tesla Info

My understanding is that resetting with the brake is a "soft" reset that reboots the infotainment and parts controlling the screen. The car can still be driven when this is happening.
The foot-on-brake is a full reboot of all the car's systems and the car cannot be driven or moved during this

<edit> Here you go: Reboot instructions for your Tesla - Tesla Info

I know this has become accepted fact (and I still do it myself) but I haven't found any mention in Tesla sourced text info of 2 levels of reboot using the scroll wheels. They describe the 2 button method (without mentioning the brake) and they describe the power off via the screen. I know some Tesla service staff have been reported as mentioning the brake usage but they are as likely as any of us to believe what they've always done is the proper way. I'm being stubborn and determinedly holding out for reliable documentary evidence! (BTW that site isn't a Tesla official info site.)

I know this has become accepted fact (and I still do it myself) but I haven't found any mention in Tesla sourced text info of 2 levels of reboot using the scroll wheels. They describe the 2 button method (without mentioning the brake) and they describe the power off via the screen. I know some Tesla service staff have been reported as mentioning the brake usage but they are as likely as any of us to believe what they've always done is the proper way. I'm being stubborn and determinedly holding out for reliable documentary evidence! (BTW that site isn't a Tesla official info site.)
@VanillaAir_UK found it mentioned a few posts up:

eCall emergency call system needs service

Yes, that is described as the Touchscreen reboot. In the manual that same Touchscreen reboot is described without the brake ... but still it's just the screen reboot... so which is right? And are they different? They are both just rebooting the screen. If they were described as Touchscreen plus something else reboot I would understand. Why wouldn't it be in the latest manual and why are people who are not like ourselves (i.e. steeped in Tesla info!) denied this invaluable information? I've done both (and more often with the brake for good measure) but they both do the same thing and I've never cured anything using the brake technique when the buttons on their own didn't work!

Yes, that is described as the Touchscreen reboot. In the manual that same Touchscreen reboot is described without the brake ... but still it's just the screen reboot... so which is right? And are they different? They are both just rebooting the screen. If they were described as Touchscreen plus something else reboot I would understand. Why wouldn't it be in the latest manual and why are people who are not like ourselves (i.e. steeped in Tesla info!) denied this invaluable information? I've done both (and more often with the brake for good measure) but they both do the same thing and I've never cured anything using the brake technique when the buttons on their own didn't work!
Yeah, could be clearer for sure. The FAQ title says my vehicle or touchscreen is unresponsive but the bullet just refers to touchscreen.

I got one of these this morning. Nothing seemed untoward. Did a footbrake reset and it went away.
it hasn’t come immediately following supercharging or a s/w update.
perhaps I just woke the car earlier than it would like!

IN ADDITION
just noticed that the iPhone Tesla widget was displaying a red generic M3. Opened the app and it put itself right.

Last edited: