TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Echo Auto by Amazon in Tesla

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Rogallo, May 15, 2019.

1. Rogallo

Rogallo Member

Amazon Echo Auto arrived today. Seems like the only good way to use it in my 2015 Model S so far is with a separate USB powered speaker connecting the Echo Auto to those speakers with a 3.5mm plug. Has anyone else been successful with a workaround? All other possible connections fail. https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Echo-Auto-first-your/dp/B0753K4CWG Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 9.53.48 PM.png

• Informative x 1
  2. DCEV

DCEV Member

#2 DCEV, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Can you not pair it with the car, essentially treating the car as a Bluetooth speaker?

Wish I could double press the voice button in the car to access Alexa...

3. glide

glide Member

That’s not how it is supposed to be used.

You should just be able to pair to the car’s BT connection. There should be no other speakers involved.

Your phone connection is also required for it to work. Are you using an iPhone or Android? Is it also paired to your phone?

4. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

Oh I so wish if Tesla voice command is better. I would be so cool to properly speak to the car and do stuff with it. The existing voice control isn’t very good and takes way too long to activate.

Tesla (or your car’s name), activate autopilot.
    Tesla, turn up the heat to 22 degrees
    Tesla, navigate, play, open sun roof, activate sentry mode etc...

• Like x 2
  5. Rogallo

Rogallo Member

Old iphone 5, very glitchy between the car BT, keeps needing to connect/reconnect. Hoping someone has cracked the code to using the way you describe.

6. glide

glide Member

Huh? That’s how it’s supposed to be used out of the box.

It’s not clear to me what you are doing to try and set the unit up.

Are you sure the iPhone 5 is even supported?

• Like x 1
  7. Rogallo

Rogallo Member

Does not pair well, constant reconnect, rebooting, glitching.

8. glide

glide Member

9. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

Well, Apple is know to not support old products. In fact some would argue that they intentionally cripple them through iOS update to encourage you to buy a new unit. First it is performance degradation (purposeful or not), then come breaking API changes so your favourite app no longer work on older iOS, but your old device cannot be upgraded to new iOS (even though that may cripple performance).

10. glide

glide Member

If OP would check the package in sure it will say which devices, OS, and BT protocols are supported.

This sounds like a case of you need to upgrade your 5 year old phone.

11. P100D_Me

P100D_Me Member

'argue', they got caught red handed doing it (remember the battery life fiasco).

12. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

I have one. You pair it to your phone. The phone is the only thing paired to your Tesla. It works great, I wish I could talk to my Tesla like I do to the Amazon device in it.

"(remember the battery life fiasco)"

And the CPU throttling fiasco for years before they admitted it was to push phone sales. I stopped buying Apple devices for that reason long before they were caught.

13. Joelgjr

Joelgjr Member

Whenever Alexa comes up in conversation I can tell whose over the age of 50