Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Echo Auto by Amazon in Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amazon Echo Auto arrived today. Seems like the only good way to use it in my 2015 Model S so far is with a separate USB powered speaker connecting the Echo Auto to those speakers with a 3.5mm plug. Has anyone else been successful with a workaround? All other possible connections fail. https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Echo-Auto-first-your/dp/B0753K4CWG
Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 9.53.48 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
Amazon Echo Auto arrived today. Seems like the only good way to use it in my 2015 Model S so far is with a separate USB powered speaker connecting the Echo Auto to those speakers with a 3.5mm plug. Has anyone else been successful with a workaround? All other possible connections fail. https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Echo-Auto-first-your/dp/B0753K4CWG View attachment 408216

That’s not how it is supposed to be used.

You should just be able to pair to the car’s BT connection. There should be no other speakers involved.

Your phone connection is also required for it to work. Are you using an iPhone or Android? Is it also paired to your phone?

Oh I so wish if Tesla voice command is better. I would be so cool to properly speak to the car and do stuff with it. The existing voice control isn’t very good and takes way too long to activate.

Tesla (or your car’s name), activate autopilot.
Tesla, turn up the heat to 22 degrees
Tesla, navigate, play, open sun roof, activate sentry mode etc...

Reactions: DCEV and Rogallo
That’s not how it is supposed to be used.

You should just be able to pair to the car’s BT connection. There should be no other speakers involved.

Your phone connection is also required for it to work. Are you using an iPhone or Android? Is it also paired to your phone?
Old iphone 5, very glitchy between the car BT, keeps needing to connect/reconnect. Hoping someone has cracked the code to using the way you describe.

Old iphone 5, very glitchy between the car BT, keeps needing to connect/reconnect. Hoping someone has cracked the code to using the way you describe.

Huh? That’s how it’s supposed to be used out of the box.

It’s not clear to me what you are doing to try and set the unit up.

Are you sure the iPhone 5 is even supported?

Reactions: Bmac
Does not pair well, constant reconnect, rebooting, glitching.
Well, Apple is know to not support old products. In fact some would argue that they intentionally cripple them through iOS update to encourage you to buy a new unit. First it is performance degradation (purposeful or not), then come breaking API changes so your favourite app no longer work on older iOS, but your old device cannot be upgraded to new iOS (even though that may cripple performance).

I have one. You pair it to your phone. The phone is the only thing paired to your Tesla. It works great, I wish I could talk to my Tesla like I do to the Amazon device in it.

"(remember the battery life fiasco)"

And the CPU throttling fiasco for years before they admitted it was to push phone sales. I stopped buying Apple devices for that reason long before they were caught.

Oh I so wish if Tesla voice command is better. I would be so cool to properly speak to the car and do stuff with it. The existing voice control isn’t very good and takes way too long to activate.

Tesla (or your car’s name), activate autopilot.
Tesla, turn up the heat to 22 degrees
Tesla, navigate, play, open sun roof, activate sentry mode etc...

Whenever Alexa comes up in conversation I can tell whose over the age of 50

This thread didn't play out well for Tesla. Since the discussion regarding Apple's planned obsolencence updates was started here, Tesla has done everything Apple was doing - they secretly removed battery capacity via OTA, they secretly slowed down cars, and when caught they issued an insulting "it was to protect the battery" excuse despite the fact that it's still under warranty and we paid real money for the things they're removing from our cars.

This thread didn't play out well for Tesla. Since the discussion regarding Apple's planned obsolencence updates was started here, Tesla has done everything Apple was doing - they secretly removed battery capacity via OTA, they secretly slowed down cars, and when caught they issued an insulting "it was to protect the battery" excuse despite the fact that it's still under warranty and we paid real money for the things they're removing from our cars.
I had quite the opposite experience. My car got faster with uncorking, and only lost 5% battery capacity after nearly 90k driven (most of that in the first 40k).

In fact Tesla has been known to unlock any reserved capacity in disasters to aid evacuation whenever possible.

There is no reason nor history for them to intentionally cripple their cars without good reason. If they have to reduce charge rate or power, then they should deserve the benefit of the doubt that it is needed for a good reason simply based on past behaviour.

Past behavior does not make Tesla look good. They reduced supercharging rates for 90kwh owners and never gave it back. "Sorry, dud battery!" They took Ludicrous launches away for the same reason they've now taken away Performance and 20% of our battery's kwh capacity - because they felt like it and don't want to explain why. They have a long history of choosing to lose lawsuits over doing the right thing, it's not like controversial nefarious actions are new to Tesla.

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

If they aren't stopped your will be downgraded too, cars with your battery have already been downgraded and tesla isn't stopping. Enjoy your free uncorking while you still have it, because you don't know what day you'll lose it.

The same process Tesla used to unlock disaster area batteries is now being used to take away upgrades we paid for.

I'm very happy to hear of your inexperience to these problems and I wish it was the same for all owners.

I have an Garmin Speak (with Dashcam) that is like the Echo Auto. It works quite well with my iPhone Xs MAX. My phone stays connected to the car, and the audio comes through perfectly.

I always wonder about people who use an old phone and complain that it does not work. This reminds me of a review of an old Garmin GPS where the reviewer did not test the Bluetooth functionality (the best feature of the GPS) because his phone consumed too much power while Bluetooth was turned on.