Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Echo Auto In Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you noticed very high data usage on Alexa app when using Sirius-XM? I hit 1.6 GB in ~2 or so weeks data usage by the Alexa app (1 hour per day in car streaming XM). I stopped using Echo Auto for a week and data usage seems back to normal. I wish there was a selection for lower bitrate. One can only can select quality normal, high or max (XM app... not sure if this affects Alexa streaming).

i haven't noticed anything like that, but i'm not in the car that much. i work from home so i don't have a really long commute, and i don't use the echo that often anyway...

7F3F75C8-B2B6-4262-A775-1527D4F69644.jpeg
I gave up waiting and bought an Amazon Input instead.

So I broke down and ordered an Echo Auto on fleaBay.... arrived this morning and I just set it up. Thing is dang near perfection for what I want.

I was able to choose Apple Music as the default music library, and SiriusXM as the default streaming option in Alexa settings. This is perfect.

"Alexa, tune to Classic Vinyl" - will play from SiriusXM streams.
"Alexa, tune to New York Yankees" - finds the Yankee game on SiriusXM.
"Alexa, play some Billy Joel" - will play from my Apple Music library.

The Model 3 just got about 20x more media-functional for me. I was REALLY missing SiriusXM, and honestly, using the app on my phone is a non-starter. One of the advantages of where Tesla put the charging pad (I have a Nomad pad there) is that it's just far enough away to encourage me to be completely hands-free. I'm trying REALLY hard to live that mantra .......

Have you noticed very high data usage on Alexa app when using Sirius-XM? I hit 1.6 GB in ~2 or so weeks data usage by the Alexa app (1 hour per day in car streaming XM). I stopped using Echo Auto for a week and data usage seems back to normal. I wish there was a selection for lower bitrate. One can only can select quality normal, high or max (XM app... not sure if this affects Alexa streaming).

is it only the XM app+Alexa or Alexa by itself?

I'll probably just stream Amazon music, but have a limited VZW data plan

I just installed my Amazon Echo Auto in my M3. Decided, for now, to use the rear USB and vent for mounting. Would love to see it centered under the main UI display with a magnetic mount - so I could close the center console door that covers the phone wireless charger bays, without having to detach it. Need to engineer something that would work so I could see the blue and red K.I.T.T.-like horizonal light when it's activated. :D Anyway, here are some pictures of the rear mount. BTW, minimal delay from saying Wake word to input tone. BTW, you can say, "Alexa <insert command> without waiting for the confirmation tone and it works just fine. No need to wait for the confirmation tone as there must be a voice buffer attached to the eight mic system. So far, I'm lovin' it!
ea2.jpg
ea1.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Kleenerth3
I just installed my Amazon Echo Auto in my M3. Decided, for now, to use the rear USB and vent for mounting. Would love to see it centered under the main UI display with a magnetic mount - so I could close the center console door that covers the phone wireless charger bays, without having to detach it. Need to engineer something that would work so I could see the blue and red K.I.T.T.-like horizonal light when it's activated. :D Anyway, here are some pictures of the rear mount. BTW, minimal delay from saying Wake word to input tone. BTW, you can say, "Alexa <insert command> without waiting for the confirmation tone and it works just fine. No need to wait for the confirmation tone as there must be a voice buffer attached to the eight mic system. So far, I'm lovin' it!
View attachment 447753 View attachment 447755

Found a better place for it! Note: The delay can be set in the Alexa app. Just swing it to zero! Disregard the terrible UI reflection on the piano black console...

4234D30D-5D42-4D3E-A3A5-672528616F05.jpeg
C0E1B9B6-CDA5-4DB3-BBA2-623892466982.jpeg
655FF273-4CFB-4EAB-B603-DF3FBBA61967.png

image.jpg

Last edited:
That is the wire from the usb hub going to the cigarette plug in the armrest console

Two follow up questions -

1) Why didn't you use a black wire for the 12v to USB hub so "the run" was less "visible"? Temporary run, perhaps?
2) Why the addition of the Qi receiver (for the Echo), when you could have easily run a short black micro USB cable to that hub following the same path down to the cubbie below?

I think the overall install might have looked a bit cleaner (no bulking pad under the Echo, visible orange wire, etc.) with black 12v to hub wire, no Qi pad). Cool idea though to get power up top without a cable, however!