Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Echo Auto In Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did. I designed it myself. In Virginia, many of the public libraries will 3D print for free so that’s what I did.

Very nice! If I may ask, what's different about the Input vs. Auto, other than availability? I assume the Input connects like a Dot, meaning it uses wifi to connect to the phone, which must be set up as a hotspot to work and uses BT to connect to the car; whereas the Auto doesn't require "Hotspot" enabling on the phone, but rather BT to the Alexa app on the phone. The phone then connects to the car via BT, and not Auto. Is this correct?

Very nice! If I may ask, what's different about the Input vs. Auto, other than availability? I assume the Input connects like a Dot, meaning it uses wifi to connect to the phone, which must be set up as a hotspot to work and uses BT to connect to the car; whereas the Auto doesn't require "Hotspot" enabling on the phone, but rather BT to the Alexa app on the phone. The phone then connects to the car via BT, and not Auto. Is this correct?
First, I am happy to give the 3D design to anyone who wants it.

The difference as I understand is that the echo auto connects to the phone and streams through the phones Bluetooth where the echo input requires you to connect the car via Bluetooth meaning that you can’t take a phone call as your phone is not longer connected to the car. That was a messed up explanation so I hope it makes sense.

Reactions: vickh
the Input does not let me do voicecalls if not connected via audio cable. That's a bummer since I was hoping to have a single input voice commands rather using my phone (have to unlock it via finger print)

The difference as I understand is that the echo auto connects to the phone and streams through the phones Bluetooth where the echo input requires you to connect the car via Bluetooth meaning that you can’t take a phone call as your phone is not longer connected to the car. That was a messed up explanation so I hope it makes sense.

that's better I did at the same time :) I'm bummed out since I missed replying to my Auto invite. Hope they resend or maybe someone here has one for sale..

Did you 3D print a custom tray for your Echo Input?
Just finishing up one for the Echo Auto as well...

M3_Center_with_Alexa_Auto_v2 v4.jpg

Thank you for the offer! Will let you know, if I can find a local library with printing capability. What software is used in case Modifications are needed or desired! Thanks again and great job!
I use fusion 360 which is free for hobbyists. I could probably print one for you if you need it. Modifications are not that easy as there is a pretty steep learning curve. I am far from an expert so it takes me a while to do them. Happy to make the changes. This one has a cutout so you can see the blue light if I didn’t mess it up!

I use fusion 360 which is free for hobbyists. I could probably print one for you if you need it. Modifications are not that easy as there is a pretty steep learning curve. I am far from an expert so it takes me a while to do them. Happy to make the changes. This one has a cutout so you can see the blue light if I didn’t mess it up!

Funny, that's the exact modification I would have made! I think you may need to notch the forward edge of the tray (like the attached), so you can easily open the wireless charging/phone holding door under the display. Not sure if the dimensions allow for the Echo Auto mount to be located and centered under this forward facing notch in the tray, so the bar LED can see seen when looking forward, and so glasses can still be stored in the tray. Do you know? BTW, thanks for the offer - I might just take you up on it and will cover your costs, of course.

Attachments

• tray.JPG
    tray.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 130
Funny, that's the exact modification I would have made! I think you may need to notch the forward edge of the tray (like the attached), so you can easily open the wireless charging/phone holding door under the display. Not sure if the dimensions allow for the Echo Auto mount to be located and centered under this forward facing notch in the tray, so the bar LED can see seen when looking forward, and so glasses can still be stored in the tray. Do you know? BTW, thanks for the offer - I might just take you up on it and will cover your costs, of course.
That’s an easy enough change to make but I almost never lift the charging tray so I didn’t need it. I currently have the previous design for the echo input and it works great with plenty of room for it to sit flush. The height of the “auto” is 13mm so even if it didn’t fit you could always make it a few mm deeper.

If you don't mind sharing the files, I'd appreciate it. My brother has a 3D printer so I can ask him to print it for me... or, I'll go get a 3D printer myself. Been looking for an excuse anyway ;-)

Thanks so much!!

Yes, it worked fine there, but I wanted to see the horizontal led bar.

What about mounting it high up on the windshield, using one of those EZ Pass type of holders? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MCKZW46

Could put some kind of a magnetic piece on that so you can take it on and off easily instead of using those velcro type fasteners. Tap power from the mirror assembly (which is always on like the console USB, I understand) or grab it from VC Left in the driverside kick panel and route it up the A-pillar and headliner if you want switched (which I've already done for my radar detector, so I may consider that path if I decide to want the Echo out in the open.)

I received mine over the weekend. I had an extra right angle micro usb cable for the phone dock, so I switched out the USB C cable which I had no use for. I just dock the Alexa in the right phone slot and it fits perfectly. And like many others have said, for SiriusXM, the thing is 100% worth it. But of course, just watch, Elon will get Sirius streaming all sorted out finally and the Alexa will just be used for the occasional weather check. But for now, it's great

welp. got to use it all of one day. Setup was easy and did a couple test commands for SiriusXm and Apple Music.
but, went to leave this morning for work and the Echo kept saying it was trying to connect to my phone.
checked the bluetooth settings and it showed connected, but the thing still wouldnt connect.

i was running late for work so i did have any time to troubleshoot the issue. Will see if it connects when i leave this afternoon

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc