Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Echo Auto In Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The device appears a bit klugey as connections can drop and come back. It allows uses up a lot of data so I'm not sure it is worth using too much. It did make me appreciate the OEM capabilities of the Model 3 more though!

use data when not using? I wonder if it's same for an echo input and if there's a setting option for that

There seems to be a lot of settings for this is the Alexa app on your phone. Not sure about the one you mention.

something to minimize being a data hog. I usually turn off error reporting.

I wish Tesla would just open up the LTE to BT/wifi sharing ( and charge for premium access) e.g ATT already has an unlimited consumer car hotspot plan for $15/mo (but not for Teslas :( )

Last edited:
Mine's been rock solid with its connection to my iPhone XS running 13.1 (I have a developer profile so I've been on it since it was released to testers.

Only issue was with the original 13 update that forced all existing bluetooth connections to be re-confirmed. I unpaired the Echo from bluetooth settings as well as from the Alexa app and re-paired it once. It's been fine since.

Mine's been rock solid with its connection to my iPhone XS running 13.1 (I have a developer profile so I've been on it since it was released to testers.

Only issue was with the original 13 update that forced all existing bluetooth connections to be re-confirmed. I unpaired the Echo from bluetooth settings as well as from the Alexa app and re-paired it once. It's been fine since.
FWIW, I've been running 13.1 as well. My XS shows 4 BT connections. Amazon sent me these steps to fix in the meantime... Perhaps they will help others here.

"
Hello,

Follow the below steps:

Force close and restart the Alexa app, wait 30 seconds and make a new request.

If that does not work, close the Alexa app and restart your iphone.

If still the above steps doesn't resolve the issue, please follow the below steps:

Unplug the power cable for 45 seconds from your Echo device.

Go to your phone's Bluetooth Settings > unpair/forget Echo Auto from paired devices list.

Plug back the power cable power to Echo Auto.

There will be a prompt starting with " Echo Auto should play TTS - "Hello! Let's get rolling...". If you do not hear the TTS or a sweeping orange light after 20 seconds, then hold down the action button for 8 seconds to put the device in setup mode. Device will say TTS "Now in Setup Mode..."

Open the Alexa app > Devices > Add Device > Amazon Echo > Echo Auto.

Follow the instructions in the Alexa App. "

I'm getting one of these just for SiriusXM.

I tried using the new automations in iOS 13.1 to add one that would launch Sirius and start playing as soon as my phone connected to my car BT, but all it does is prompt me and I have to click on the notification for it to actually run. That's not very convenient.

I also tried using Siri to run the shortcut from my watch but apparently there is some issue with iOS 13.1 and watchOS 6 that prevents Siri Shortcuts from running from the watch.

So now I'm moving on to Alexa. I'm hoping the Echo Auto supports the SiriusXM skill.

I'm getting one of these just for SiriusXM.

I tried using the new automations in iOS 13.1 to add one that would launch Sirius and start playing as soon as my phone connected to my car BT, but all it does is prompt me and I have to click on the notification for it to actually run. That's not very convenient.

I also tried using Siri to run the shortcut from my watch but apparently there is some issue with iOS 13.1 and watchOS 6 that prevents Siri Shortcuts from running from the watch.

So now I'm moving on to Alexa. I'm hoping the Echo Auto supports the SiriusXM skill.
It does.