Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Echo Auto In Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have mine in the phone dock on the passenger side. it seems to work well enough there after a few glitches the first day...although it is pretty slow after the wake word. i feel like i'm waiting a good 2-3 seconds after saying "alexa" before it allows me to do anything else...

8D10AFB2-4D70-4945-94A9-621B59215277.jpeg
I found a great spot to mount it, right at the front edge of the armrest. It’s hidden and out of the way, and wire is unseen when armrest is closed. Just had to tape down the lock release button, which is really not needed. However, the adhesive is not strong enough to hold the magnetic mount for long. Still trying to figure it out.

Get some super velcro from Lowes. It will hold it.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot.

So I'm still messing with how it works. When my phone is connected to the car where I can play music from my phone through the cars speakers, Alexa works fine. However, when I'm listening to the radio or streaming music from the car's apps, Alexa seems to respond as the lights flash but I cannot hear her response. My phone is still connected through bluetooth for phone calls. What am I doing wrong?

So I'm still messing with how it works. When my phone is connected to the car where I can play music from my phone through the cars speakers, Alexa works fine. However, when I'm listening to the radio or streaming music from the car's apps, Alexa seems to respond as the lights flash but I cannot hear her response. My phone is still connected through bluetooth for phone calls. What am I doing wrong?

you won't hear her respond unless you switch to the phone input. she can't change the input for you.

View attachment 431255 I found a great spot to mount it, right at the front edge of the armrest. It’s hidden and out of the way, and wire is unseen when armrest is closed. Just had to tape down the lock release button, which is really not needed. However, the adhesive is not strong enough to hold the magnetic mount for long. Still trying to figure it out.

just put it in the phone dock. the adhesive holds it there just fine and it looks like it belongs there...the only downside is that you lose one of the phone chargers.

XlNE4pw.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
you won't hear her respond unless you switch to the phone input. she can't change the input for you.

just put it in the phone dock. the adhesive holds it there just fine and it looks like it belongs there...the only downside is that you lose one of the phone chargers.

Yikes, then echo auto is not much use to me then as more than half the time I'm listening to the radio or Tesla's streaming music.

I rarely use that phone caddy, so always have the lid closed. If the above is true, I'm probably going to uninstall it. Procrastinated too long so can't even return.

Yikes, then echo auto is not much use to me then as more than half the time I'm listening to the radio or Tesla's streaming music.

I rarely use that phone caddy, so always have the lid closed. If the above is true, I'm probably going to uninstall it. Procrastinated too long so can't even return.

it works with the lid closed, as long as you switch to phone input. it's not that difficult to tap the screen twice when you want to have her do something...

alright then, but you're going in with unrealistic expectations. there's no current protocol that would allow her to change the input for you. nothing on the market is going to do what you want it to do.

New Audi e-Tron has Alexa integrated from the factory, along with Car Play and Android Play. That's probably the only way for it to be seamless like I was hoping. It'll be nice if Tesla could add those, not sure if it's even possible.

New Audi e-Tron has Alexa integrated from the factory, along with Car Play and Android Play. That's probably the only way for it to be seamless like I was hoping. It'll be nice if Tesla could add those, not sure if it's even possible.

it's possible if they add it as an option in the software in the car...there is no aftermarket product now (or ever) that will be able to do that.

I just got my Amazon Echo Auto finally and installed it into my model 3!
It seems to work. How well it integrates with the car is what I want to discover.
It connects to your phone via Bluetooth and your phone connects to the car via Bluetooth.
The audio sounds OK and and I was able to get : "Alexa play channel 6 on SiriusXM" to work.
Of course, you need the internet subscription to Sirius.
There is no speaker in the echo, so you have to select "phone" on the car to hear her.View attachment 421050

It comes with a base a base that is adhesively attached to the car and magnetically attached to the Echo.
So I attached it to the underside of the phone storage area and ran the USB cable down the hole to a USB power strip that I had previously installed.

You can also see my scanner and my IC-7100 Ham radio down in the bottom.
I have a single wireless charging pad for the cell.

JJ
One thing I just discovered. The Alexa app will only display the Siriusxm channel on the Tesla screen. If you run the Siriusxm directly on your phone, it will display the song name and artist on the Tesla screen.
This is also true if you play Siriusxm on your echo show. I wish they would update the echo and the Android app.

Reactions: crackers8199
One thing I just discovered. The Alexa app will only display the Siriusxm channel on the Tesla screen. If you run the Siriusxm directly on your phone, it will display the song name and artist on the Tesla screen.
This is also true if you play Siriusxm on your echo show. I wish they would update the echo and the Android app.

yeah, this is annoying and i'm going to suggest it to them as a feature add. it's especially annoying when trying to listen to a sporting event...if you use the xm app, it shows the score. via echo auto, it does not.

yeah, this is annoying and i'm going to suggest it to them as a feature add. it's especially annoying when trying to listen to a sporting event...if you use the xm app, it shows the score. via echo auto, it does not.

Have you noticed very high data usage on Alexa app when using Sirius-XM? I hit 1.6 GB in ~2 or so weeks data usage by the Alexa app (1 hour per day in car streaming XM). I stopped using Echo Auto for a week and data usage seems back to normal. I wish there was a selection for lower bitrate. One can only can select quality normal, high or max (XM app... not sure if this affects Alexa streaming).