TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Eclipse - glass roof + polarized shades?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by hariclt, Aug 19, 2017.

1. hariclt

hariclt Member

So the proper eclipse viewing shades are sold out all over town and I figured just using the all glass roof - plus some good polarized sunglasses would be enough protection? Thoughts?

Thx

2. GregKo

GregKo Member

You will need more then that. Still to bright to view the sun directly. I tested.

To make it work, I added 6ND filter paper X2 layers plus polarized glasses. Works on X (top of windshield) and S all glass roof.

3. Off Shore

Off Shore Supporting Member

Short road to permanent blindness. #14 or darker welding filter, ISO certified glasses or a pinhole camera. (Pinhole camera is easy--look it up.)

4. hariclt

hariclt Member

Thanks for the response - did you do something scientific or just eyeballed it?

5. GregKo

GregKo Member

Just edited my post above to include what worked.

6. snellenr

snellenr Member

IMG_0275.JPG

A simple pinhole eclipse viewer, guaranteed to prevent blindness while you monitor the eclipse's approach to totality...

7. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

Thank you! That's an excellent design. I just made my own, fashioned after that!

8. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

You can just use a pasta strainer it will make dozens of pinholes or even better, watch the eclipse in a forest, the leaves on the trees will create thousands of pinholes. It is a magical experience. Most people look for an open meadow to see the eclipse, but a forested area is better. eclipseTreeClose.jpg

• Like x 1
  9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

ABSOLUTELY NOT. Seriously. Do not do that.