Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eco Hitch or Stealth Hitch....or other?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phantasms

Mr Self Destruct
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2019
White Mountains, NH
Hey guys.

I've decided to hold off on the Y and wait for the Cybertruck. In that case I need to fix the only issue I have with my Model 3, not being able to transports my families three bikes. I have a Thule hitch rack that I used to use with my Tahoe.

I have a late 2018 car with no wiring or hole underneath.

Which hitch setup should I get? I'm not a mechanic but I'm reasonably confident in my abilities. Last month I disassembled my passenger door to install a new mirror after my better half had it abruptly meet the garage. I don't plan on ever towing anything, just using the rack with two adult bikes and one kids bike.

1. So which one?
2. How much do I have to be concerned about tongue weight? I'd guess I'm looking at 200-250lbs of downward force all in.
3. I heard I can buy the newer plastic underside with the hitch hole from the parts department. Does that really bolt right in on a 2018 without issue? Anyone have the part number? Anything else I need for that retrofit?
4. How does the AP system handle something right up behind it while driving? Any issues there?
5. Anything else I need to know?

Much appreciated!

Best,
Gene

Great video on this topic, the Tesla setup gives you more including the tow package on the screen and the wiring. Let’s you disable all of those nags with the sensor. I was wanting to go with the $300.00 after market deal but then I saw this video:

I would 100% go with a Tesla tow package for my Model 3, no matter the price, is such a thing existed. I'm pretty sure this only applies to the Model Y. I admit, I spend 30 seconds watching the video above so maybe I'm jumping the gun here. lol

I would 100% go with a Tesla tow package for my Model 3, no matter the price, is such a thing existed. I'm pretty sure this only applies to the Model Y. I admit, I spend 30 seconds watching the video above so maybe I'm jumping the gun here. lol
Watch the whole video, lots of good info.. and he also stated if you just want a bike rack then the $300.00 deal will be great for you.

Its too bad the 3 doesn’t come with the Tesla tow hitch.

Fred

Reactions: phantasms
The Tesla tow package is only on the European Model 3. I had the Torklift Central EcoHitch on my 2018 LeMR. And the new pan with the slot will fit your car as my car was rear-ended and they installed a new hitch but I didn’t need the cover anymore. They no longer make the pan without the slot. You will like that hitch. It doesn’t show unless the receiver is in. I can’t remember what the tongue weight limit is since I only carried a single bike. Look online at Torklift central.com. It has all the information.

• Informative
Reactions: phantasms
Hey guys.

I've decided to hold off on the Y and wait for the Cybertruck. In that case I need to fix the only issue I have with my Model 3, not being able to transports my families three bikes. I have a Thule hitch rack that I used to use with my Tahoe.

I have a late 2018 car with no wiring or hole underneath.

Which hitch setup should I get? I'm not a mechanic but I'm reasonably confident in my abilities. Last month I disassembled my passenger door to install a new mirror after my better half had it abruptly meet the garage. I don't plan on ever towing anything, just using the rack with two adult bikes and one kids bike.

1. So which one?
2. How much do I have to be concerned about tongue weight? I'd guess I'm looking at 200-250lbs of downward force all in.
3. I heard I can buy the newer plastic underside with the hitch hole from the parts department. Does that really bolt right in on a 2018 without issue? Anyone have the part number? Anything else I need for that retrofit?
4. How does the AP system handle something right up behind it while driving? Any issues there?
5. Anything else I need to know?

Much appreciated!

Best,
Gene

Similar car, similar concern. I went with the Torklift. It was a shorter wait and cheaper.

2. Regarding tongue weight, I have no data, but I’m skeptical about three bikes. I have a Yakima Singlespeed (1 bike), and I put the other two on the roof. Keep in mind it won’t just be the tongue weight, but also the height of the receiver off the ground and the length of your hitch. Three bikes would need to be pretty high up to not bottom out on a slope.

3. I’ve heard that as well. Already had a hole cut. It looks fine, plus I bought the Torklift detachable cover, plus receiver hasn’t come out yet. 😂

4. Proximity alert will be on all the time with the bike present. I don’t think AP cares, but I don’t really use AP so not sure.