TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ecology - this is a first for me

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by birdsaresmarter, May 18, 2014.

1. birdsaresmarter

Black widow spider babies hatched from rear wheel well yesterday. Never knew she was in there. We are nature heavy here, don't use any pesticides, so having other spiders running all over and living in crevices of cars is "normal". Was apparently tucked up far enough so car washing didn't bother her.

Funny coincidence: some local entomologists recently said they want to come to our garden to collect various insect specimens. Too bad they didn't come yesterday as they could have had the whole batch. Although I will say it was fascinating to watch them floating out on strands of web carried by a gentle breeze. A little like charlotte's web.

After this experience I do think I'll have to adopt a practice of periodically taking a long stick or something and running it around these spaces to discourage permanent residence or at least detect where the sticky webs may be present, to be aware. Ewwwwww. Cue: Yobigd :wink:

2. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Uggh.
    With exactly that in mind, as we prepared to return to Alaska a few weeks back, I very thoroughly power scrubbed all the interstices of my 14k-lb dump trailer that sat enticing Arizonan black widows all "winter" long. The moment I started that project, I discovered a big fat one, so I knew this was going to be time well spent.

It's not that black widows would survive in AK....but I didn't want them to be here even for one summer season.

Uggh.

Back to Teslas - I would like to learn what others know of the perils, if any, of power washing the underside of the Model S. I'd think there'd be no concerns different from those you have to take with other vehicles, but that may not be the case. Maybe just dump a gallon of BlackWidownsRn'tUs in yer local car wash detergent dispenser? :rolleyes:

3. birdsaresmarter

Yeah, would also be curious to know because obviously I have been very careful to avoid using much water/liquids in any areas beyond normal exterior body/wheel washes, and I don't want to go the pesticide route. I have thought to myself "well, they obviously would have had to engineer the car for moving at high speed through rain". However, a power washer pointed at certain openings under the car is probably a different ballgame than driving through weather.