TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Economist article on Tesla and its Gigafactory announcement

Discussion in 'News' started by dauger, Feb 27, 2014.

1. dauger

dauger Member

2. gpetti

gpetti Active Member

"A series of battery fires also briefly dented sales growth last year."

Did the "series" of battery fires make any difference whatsoever to sales growth?

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

None whatsoever, since they've been production constraint throughout. I believe there was a temporary drop in the rate of reservations.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Major factual error in that per wise reasonable article, quote: "In about three years Tesla will launch the Model E, a small saloon with a range of perhaps 400 miles..."

Oops.

5. Seattle

Seattle Member

perhaps they are guessing the range of a smaller car with an 85kwh battery? I wonder about the range of the model E. Does everyone think it will be less than the M.S.?

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Elon has stated multiple times it will be at least 200 miles. I assume that will be with the "base" battery and there will be optional longer range battery sizes.

7. dauger

dauger Member

It's like as if this Detriot-based Economist writer read my comment on the first article because he's written another today:

Tesla's gigafactory: Driving ahead | The Economist

focusing on the Gigafactory and its potential effect on battery pricing. Still he adds more FUD than I think appropriate.

8. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

As if selling solar panels to Californians would be analogous to selling refrigerators to Eskimos ...

9. claytorj

claytorj Member

Maybe split this off to a separate thread, since it's a separate article? I would have missed this one if I didn't come back to this thread!

10. dauger

dauger Member

I wasn't sure how TMC etiquette applies since this felt like a spinoff or follow-up article to me, published only a few days later. I'd be happy to repost.