TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Economist article

Discussion in 'News' started by malcolm, Mar 13, 2009.

1. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Yes - that one has been mentioned a couple of times this week (see here and here).

It's amazing just how much publicity this announcement has got. I've seen it in every paper I've picked up - from the free London rags to the broadsheets. It's been on BBC news and radio and now here too.

While it probably isn't "the missing piece of the electric-car jigsaw", I'm happy for that myth to persist while the hydrogen crowd are still peddling their one perceived advantage...

3. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Yeah this isn't exactly news to me either. Altair nano had already basically achieved the same thing (really quick charging) a long time ago. This doesn't fundamentally change the situation, except maybe on the side of battery longevity.

What would really change the situation was 100x the energy density or 100x less cost per kWh rather than 100x the power density. Even 2x the energy density would be good enough since that'll put the Roadster at ~500 miles of range. The cost per kWh I think will gradually decrease with mass production.

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Agreed, this is great news for getting a pro battery vibe into the zeitgeist.

The more publications it's in the more likely that when a group of people are talking about electric cars and someone gives the pro-hydrogen/anti-battery spiel that someone in the bunch will speak up and say "I hear they (MIT) has made a battery that charges in a few seconds".

Now cue the group to have nodding heads and chirps of approval. "Well that will change everything", "If they can do that...", "Wow, even better...

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Cycle life is also something that needs to improve.
    They are just barely "good enough" right now, but will become more sell-able with improvements in these areas:

• Cycle life
    • Calendar life
    • Cost / kWh
    • Weight / kWh
    smaller size is good too, but probably not as critical.

I hope the improvements aren't just gradual. There is always hope that a technological breakthrough will make a big jump at any time. There are certainly no shortages of announcements of lab tech that sounds promising.

---
    I heard one problem with ultracaps is that they tend not to hold on to their charge long enough to be a good storage system. As a buffer for quick acceleration or regen capture, yes, but as a primary "traction pack" storage technology they need to be able to hold a charge for months.

6. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Yes I realize that, that's why I said this:
    If this technology leads to the kind of life of a ultracap it would be a new achievement, but they haven't done a lot of cycle life testing so that is still a question.

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Good stuff on cycle life here:
    dod.gif

stresses.gif

And here:

age_temperature.gif

I keep reading about "Thin Film" Li-Ion showing very high cycle life.
    For instance, here:
    Worldwide Nanotechnology Thin Film Lithium-Ion Battery Market Shares Strategies, and Forecasts

Excellatron - the Company

ATP-NIST_clip_image004.jpg