TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Economist: the death of the internal combustion engine

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by NigelM, Aug 12, 2017.

1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

https://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21726071-it-had-good-run-end-sight-machine-changed-world-death

Great article, an easy read while reaffirming some simple facts....

• Like x 5
  2. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

"Charging car batteries from central power stations is more efficient than burning fuel in separate engines"

Not so clear cut.
    Central power plants that combust coal or oil are all less efficient than the Prius ICE
    Some NG plants are a good 25% more efficient than a Prius ICE, some are less.

I love my EVs because they run off my PV. If my cars had to run off the nearby coal stack I would not be happy.

3. kort677

kort677 Banned

the ICE cars might be having "heart troubles" but they are a long way from becoming terminal. EVs in time will get larger batteries at lower costs and when you can get a decent level of charge in the same time and at as many locations that you can fuel an ICE car then the ICE cars will then be on "life support"

4. voyager

voyager Member

Now tell Uncle Donald...

• Disagree x 1
  5. kbM3

kbM3 Member

Are you sure? Are you comparing against an Ioniq electric and accounting for all the energy requirements to refine the gasoline for the Prius (well to wheels)?

6. bak_phy

bak_phy Member

"Charging car batteries from central power stations is more efficient than burning fuel in separate engines"

Probably only strictly true when coming the same fuel. E.g. It's more efficient to have a central coal power plant than to have one in every car.

7. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Saw this earlier on Twitter feed from @dpeilow :

DHLeCzrXsAAI9EK.jpg-large.jpg

Pick apart the fact that these are UK based numbers, but I'll be willing to wager that even in the US emissions are significantly lower vs ICE/Diesel vehicles already and overall US power generation is getting slowly but surely greener....

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1