Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Economist: the death of the internal combustion engine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://www.economist.com/news/lead...ood-run-end-sight-machine-changed-world-death

Great article, an easy read while reaffirming some simple facts....

Charging car batteries from central power stations is more efficient than burning fuel in separate engines. Existing electric cars reduce carbon emissions by 54% compared with petrol-powered ones, according to America’s National Resources Defence Council. That figure will rise as electric cars become more efficient and grid-generation becomes greener. Local air pollution will fall, too. The World Health Organisation says that it is the single largest environmental health risk, with outdoor air pollution contributing to 3.7m deaths a year. One study found that car emissions kill 53,000 Americans each year, against 34,000 who die in traffic accidents.

"Charging car batteries from central power stations is more efficient than burning fuel in separate engines"

Not so clear cut.
Central power plants that combust coal or oil are all less efficient than the Prius ICE
Some NG plants are a good 25% more efficient than a Prius ICE, some are less.

I love my EVs because they run off my PV. If my cars had to run off the nearby coal stack I would not be happy.

the ICE cars might be having "heart troubles" but they are a long way from becoming terminal. EVs in time will get larger batteries at lower costs and when you can get a decent level of charge in the same time and at as many locations that you can fuel an ICE car then the ICE cars will then be on "life support"

"Charging car batteries from central power stations is more efficient than burning fuel in separate engines"

Not so clear cut.
Central power plants that combust coal or oil are all less efficient than the Prius ICE
Some NG plants are a good 25% more efficient than a Prius ICE, some are less.

I love my EVs because they run off my PV. If my cars had to run off the nearby coal stack I would not be happy.
Are you sure? Are you comparing against an Ioniq electric and accounting for all the energy requirements to refine the gasoline for the Prius (well to wheels)?

Probably only strictly true when coming the same fuel. E.g. It's more efficient to have a central coal power plant than to have one in every car.

Saw this earlier on Twitter feed from @dpeilow :

DHLeCzrXsAAI9EK.jpg-large.jpg

Pick apart the fact that these are UK based numbers, but I'll be willing to wager that even in the US emissions are significantly lower vs ICE/Diesel vehicles already and overall US power generation is getting slowly but surely greener....