Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Economy 7 charging for the M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to set the % charge required by time? eg i leave for work at 9am and want it to be 80% charged. I plug it in at 5pm the night before and it works out when to start charging to achieve 80% by 9am

No, with the standard Tesla software you can only specify a start time and final percentage charge. So you have to work it out for yourself, which you soon get the hang of.

You can schedule the start time for charging in the car (in half hour increments), but not the finish time (although you can set a percentage charge limit e.g. 80%).

I think they’ve missed a trick by not allowing you to set a finish time.

not sure about that ...

I have STOP TIME set to prevent car charging after E7 finishes (using TeslaFi scheduler, but any of the 3rd party ones will do that).

7 hours @22 MPH (you get more miles on M3 than MS) = 150 miles ... I have to come home "very empty" to actually need to charge more hours, and there is risk that my journey tomorrow needs the range.

Plus: if I come home below 20% I charge immediately anyway, to avoid the battery being left at low SOC until E7 starts.

A 20% to 90% charge can be done, pretty much, in 7 hours ...

My schedule turns the car off at end of E7 every day ... I have to remember to DISABLE that if I need longer charging on a specific night ... sometimes my spouse is taking the car tomorrow and doesn't tell me she needs full range, sets the charge to 100% ... and my scheduler cuts it off at the end of E7 ...

E7 electricity is 2P per mile driving cost, non-E7 is, say, 4P. If the car charged an extra hour or two, Peak, a couple of times a month it isn't a significant amount of cost ... but the hassle of NOT having a charge, when you need it, is definitely a nuisance.

I was planning on using the API to start/stop charge depending on my Solar PV insolation curve

Zappi wall charger is probably the easiest way to achieve that?

Is it possible to set the % charge required by time? eg i leave for work at 9am and want it to be 80% charged.

No. And I don't think I would want to ... if car needs 4 hours charge, thus starts at 5AM (instead of midnight) and then knowing my luck we would have a power cut at 5:05. I would prefer to charge to 90% at the earliest (Off Peak) opportunity.

I charge to 90% normally. My overnight schedule is set to change Limit to 80% at 11:55. Car is set to start charging at beginning of E7 periods (which alters Winter/Summer, so you have to remember to change that each time the clocks change ...). The car will start charging regardless ... so even if internet down / whatever worse case it will charge to 90% rather than 80% (i.e. if it never received the Internet command)

I then have another schedule to change limit to 90% an hour before I leave for work, and force the car to start charging. The aim is to have the battery warm (in winter) just before I set off because it has been charging for the previous hour.

If we had a power cut during part of the night, and the car was only charged to 80%, rather than 90%, that would rarely be a problem for me.

And then I have the schedule to stop charging at end of E7 period.

Additionally I have a set of schedules for charging to 100% - to use before a "big trip". That is:
Set limit to 100%
Wait 5 minutes (TeslaFi will retry for 5 minutes if it fails first time)
Start charging
15 minutes before departure turn Climate on
15 minutes after departure turn it off (if I still haven't left!)

but I have to remember to disable the other Charge Limit tasks, if their timing conflicts with my "Big Trip"

It would almost certainly be much easier to skip the complex-schedule thing altogether and just use what the car provides - i.e. "Start charging at XX;XX and charge to X%" ... but I'm a geek ... but I think Tesla have got it right - the "KISS" principle.

Zappi wall charger is probably the easiest way to achieve that?

But its a smart charger and in a few years, people may well be regretting that they got one. Its probably a few hours work to add insolution curve tracking to my existing PV monitoring system.

I'm probably going to get a Tesla charger - its not smart, can have a 7m tether and can be combined with a second one to load share. About as smart as I need, except an on off switch to stop a school parent racking up on my drive whilst they wait for their kid - but at least they wont be polluting me keeping their engine idling - oh quite possibly as it will likely be a phev.

Personally, I'm going to wait and see how things pan out for real before I look at introducing anything smart to my charging infrastructure (I'm talking about you Mr smart meter man who keeps trying to convince me to swap) - there may be a reason why an EV trial apparently disabled some chargers overnight just to gauge reaction of the participants.