Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ecotricity CCS charge Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys

Tried to get my car convenience charged at the nearby Ecotricity. It's by a Starbuck's and it's often on "free vend". I'm not sure if it's a fault or whether Starbucks for the bill to attract customers.

Anyway, my housemate's i3 carted no problems.

I tried charging about 4 times and it failed every time (screenshot attached).
As far as I can see there is no way of reporting the fault or anything like that. So two questions:
1- Is this a widespread problem and I should avoid Ecotricity chargers (annoying, as most motorway chargers are with them)
2- Is there any point in reporting it, and if so how should I do so?

Thank you for your help :)

IMG_0159 (1).jpg

Seems that ecotricity is a waste of time and only worth bothering with if it’s the only option. If your not with them for electric then they charge 39p vs the instavolt at 35p which are much more reliable, even if it’s free you’d probably waste a load of time with their reliability problems.

You can phone or tweet them about ones that don’t work.

I’ve used two different Ecotricity chargers for the M3 without a problem. One was A/C Type 2 (Donnington Services) one was CCS (M6 Toll Norton Canes). They do tend to cover lots of motorway services which can be convenient so I wouldn’t write them off, but I wouldn’t want to be relying on it. Not cheap and not super fast (generally 40-50kw).

I’ve not bothered trying them with the M3, but when we had the Kona electric earlier this year I tried four different Ecotricity chargers, and all failed just like the OP within a minute or so of starting to charge.
I don’t think they are very compatible with the CCS standard. Even four years ago when we had the Leaf (and all the Ecotricity chargers were free to use) they were terribly unreliable. It’s a great shame they got in early and seem to have a near monopoly on the motorway service areas.
I’ll avoid them like the plague now.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Hi guys

Tried to get my car convenience charged at the nearby Ecotricity. It's by a Starbuck's and it's often on "free vend". I'm not sure if it's a fault or whether Starbucks for the bill to attract customers.

Anyway, my housemate's i3 carted no problems.

I tried charging about 4 times and it failed every time (screenshot attached).
As far as I can see there is no way of reporting the fault or anything like that. So two questions:
1- Is this a widespread problem and I should avoid Ecotricity chargers (annoying, as most motorway chargers are with them)
2- Is there any point in reporting it, and if so how should I do so?

Thank you for your help :)

View attachment 460598
I had exactly the same error on the ecotricity CCS at Shrewsbury some weeks ago so you're not alone. I thought maybe it was the Tesla software version. Maybe not.

I had exactly the same error on the ecotricity CCS at Shrewsbury some weeks ago so you're not alone. I thought maybe it was the Tesla software version. Maybe not.
This is the one in Shrewsbury, funnily enough.

Glad it’s not just me, then. Was worrying that my car had some sort of fault...

I’ll see if I can find some way of reporting it to then (for what it’s wort)

My understanding is that the Ecotricity pumps were CHAdeMO (with some financial support from Nissan) and subsequently converted/upgraded to CCS. That upgrade is the problem as, for whatever reason, it doesn't work on some (maybe most?) EV brands, so if not working for Model-3 then worth avoiding Ecotricity. As said that's a pity as they are at pretty much all MSAs. I have used Ecotricity CHAdeMO without problem.

Ecotricity are in the process of changing the CCS pumps, and rollout has started at some locations. I am not aware that Ecotricity themselves have published "where", but there are lists on the web - dunno how reliable they are. A quick Google found this list (with ID of converted Pump)

1239 Beaconsfield
1003 Birchanger Green
1115 Chieveley
1322 Ikea Exeter
1141 Knutsford Northbound
1041 Leicester Forest East Southbound
1055 Michaelwood Southbound
1163 Scotch Corner
1069 South Mimms
1254 Tebay Northbound
1075 Warwick Southbound

some of those are also Supercharger sites, so perhaps some kind soul could give them a try to see if any better?

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
My understanding is that the Ecotricity pumps were CHAdeMO (with some financial support from Nissan) and subsequently converted/upgraded to CCS. That upgrade is the problem as, for whatever reason, it doesn't work on some (maybe most?) EV brands, so if not working for Model-3 then worth avoiding Ecotricity. As said that's a pity as they are at pretty much all MSAs. I have used Ecotricity CHAdeMO without problem.

Ecotricity are in the process of changing the CCS pumps, and rollout has started at some locations. I am not aware that Ecotricity themselves have published "where", but there are lists on the web - dunno how reliable they are. A quick Google found this list (with ID of converted Pump)

1239 Beaconsfield
1003 Birchanger Green
1115 Chieveley
1322 Ikea Exeter
1163 Scotch Corner
1069 South Mimms
1254 Tebay Northbound
1075 Warwick Southbound

some of those are also Supercharger sites, so perhaps some kind soul could give them a try to see if any better?

Im in Leicestershire so I will pass LFE soon and will try it.

1239 Beaconsfield
1003 Birchanger Green
1115 Chieveley
1322 Ikea Exeter
1163 Scotch Corner
1069 South Mimms
1254 Tebay Northbound
1075 Warwick Southbound

I can confirm Leicester Forest East Southbound works for me. I use it every Friday evening to top up for the weekend. Used it 5 times and only once have i had a free vend, the app would display "Error on the pump" so just pressed a few buttons on the Charger screen and it just connected and no payment taken!. All the times i have used it, it has connected fine (Touching my wooden desk while saying this!)

Leicester Forest East can get busy someimes as only 1 CCS charger. Usually Leaf's using it on ther trips down south for the weekend.

And that’s about what the Ecotricity chargers are worth - nowt ;)

You got to hand it to them tho, most motorways services have some form of charging facility (mostly Ecotricity who "I think" started the trend at Welcome Break services) and this gave/gives comfort to all EV drivers or longer journeys because of this infrastructure that Ecotricity started.

They just need to rip out the old ones and get more upto date (and better looking!) versions that don't have problems

Reactions: Roy W.
35p per KW is steep

Agreed, but its still cheaper than ICE, so folk with home charging the occasional "expensive" road trip charge shouldn't be a concern as obviously more infrastructure is needed (government could be helping out there ... it has the choice of sponsoring EVs more, or paying to clean up pollution and NHS bills ...)

Folk with no home/work charging (brave, at this time in the EV gestation, IMHO) would be better off with destination chargers, as constant rapid-charging of battery not ideal.

because of this infrastructure that Ecotricity started

I agree, kudos to Ecotricity. Trouble is that they have lost money on it ever since, so are cash starved to now have to replace them :( but I think they deserve that chance.

But all-the-rest need to become like Supercharger - plug-in and walk-away. I have only had to do a handful of 3rd party charges, over nearly 4 years, and none of them comes close to Supercharger, My worse was at Ecotricity; took me 20 minutes to start CHAdeMO charge (2x failures at first pump, and then success at second pump, didn't even have to move car as the cable reached). All that time was taken up with filling in the APP to do an adhoc payment. Three times. From scratch each time, nothing pre-filled. Clearly if you are an Ecotricity customer, with an RFID, it would be better ... but that was my first Ecotricity charge after nearly 3 years of ownership (I'd even kept the APP updated on my phone "just in case"). Might well be my last, on that experience.

they obviously have no interest in keeping it going long term

They are in the middle of a rollout of new pumps ... so disagree with your "no interest". Would have been good if they started sooner, and anticipated CCS charging from Model-3, iPace, eTron, ECQ ... but until the iPace arrived I'm not sure they knew that they had a real problem with [CCS compatibility of] their CCS conversion kits (might be cutting them too much slack, the i3 had already had trouble IIRC). Either way, at best they reacted slowly and that may now cost them in the race. They have monopoly (still, I think?) on MSA sites, so ought to be able to turn that to profit.

I think the biggest problem is the scant number of stalls that these 3rd party vendors are putting in. Ionity looks the best (in terms of "Plug-in and walk-away" and high speed charging), but they are installing 2 and 4 stall sites. Way too short sited [Edit: Freudian slip, I'll leave it!]... but their rollout is expensive of course ... The last 4-stall site Tesla did was in 2015, only a year after they built their first one. And now Tesla have done a "software fix" to ramp up the power at most existing ones ... Come On Competition, you aren't even in the race ... but you are needed!

BP are gouging the market on price (outrageous adhoc price, unless you take out a monthly subscription, which then needs about 2000 miles charging to break even - are there that many people, with home charging, who need 2,000 miles p.a. road-charging?, and who will always be able to find a convenient BP pump?), whereas BP could easily afford to run a loss leader and completely see off the competition in a few years.

Buy Hey! I'm just an armchair critic of course ...

They are in the middle of a rollout of new pumps ... so disagree with your "no interest". Would have been good if they started sooner, and anticipated CCS charging from Model-3, iPace, eTron, ECQ ... but until the iPace arrived I'm not sure they knew that they had a real problem with [CCS compatibility of] their CCS conversion kits (might be cutting them too much slack, the i3 had already had trouble IIRC). Either way, at best they reacted slowly and that may now cost them in the race. They have monopoly (still, I think?) on MSA sites, so ought to be able to turn that to profit.

I know their update from last month mentioned replacing old ones but based on their track record I take what they say with a pinch of salt but if they do replace the current chargers then perhaps there is hope for increased use from Tesla owners.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
You got to hand it to them tho, most motorways services have some form of charging facility (mostly Ecotricity who "I think" started the trend at Welcome Break services) and this gave/gives comfort to all EV drivers or longer journeys because of this infrastructure that Ecotricity started.

They just need to rip out the old ones and get more upto date (and better looking!) versions that don't have problems
You’re absolutely right David. I’ve nothing against Ecotricity as a company. In fact for the first year or so that I had the Leaf all of their chargers were free to use, so I was a regular customer. Unfortunately even then the experience was very frustrating, mostly due to broken chargers. I’ve lost count of the number of times we stopped in the Leaf on one side of a road to charge, only to find a dead charger. We’d then cross the access road to the other side to use the other charger. Once we did that and the charger on the other side was also dead! It certainly made a real feature out of range anxiety :confused:

I applaud them for being the front runners, but I really don’t think they’ve ever maintained the network to the required degree. Their “office hours” support is another example. Any network worth its salt should be offering 24/7/365 support.

Reactions: davidmc