Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ecovelocity - Low-Carbon Motor Festival in London

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the risk of this becoming a one-man thread, is anyone thinking of going along to this show? Tesla will be present, according to the website.

Mere hours after I'd bought non-refundable tickets for the show, my wife tells me that we're booked in to an unavoidable and immovable family event on the same day.

Any offers for a family ticket to Ecovelocity for Saturday 10th September? PM me if you're interested.

Kevin, Nikki and others visited today. Seems like they had a good day (they are on the way home now).

Nik and I will be there tomorrow (also Leaf driver "EV Tornado"). Anyone else? Send me a PM if you want to meet up.

Good to meet you on Friday Nik. I had a great time - bumped into many other regulars from the EV scene. I hardly had any time to myself!

Here's a recording of the debate that Robert Llewellyn hosted on Saturday.

Props to the guy from Nissan for the succinct answer to the hydrogen question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roadster there:
297799_10150323704832801_18790602800_8049029_823924337_n.jpg

That brickwork is stunning.

The whole building is stunning. It is right on the river (Thames), in an open space, with the bridge and railways passing close by at optimum viewing distance. It was the landmark I used to find the right bridge, when I grew up there (thankfully after it had finished production and spewing pollution out of its stacks).

Sian made an excellent point that I've never heard of before (although I'm sure it's been discussed here somewhere and I've missed it.) Batteries in cars should be two-way, so you can charge them up during the day off solar or wind and use the power for your house at night if the car is idle (which would be great all winter, really, since the car is in the house all the time if it's too snowy outside). Her specific point was slightly different from mine. It seems she suggested that electric cars could be charged up at night and used as reserve power during the day if left plugged into the grid, presumably to offset cloudy or windless days in areas where the power was primarily alternative. That would actually take load off the grid. Yes, it would decrease battery life, but it would certainly be interesting if I had my own solar panels, the grid went down in a CME nightmare situation, and I could charge all day and power my building by night using the car, with enough left over for travel.

Looks like it's getting a facelift? Keeping the font wall and making a new building behind it maybe?

That was done with an LA landmark or two. Goodyear and Helms buildings

edit:

from your link:
The station is the largest brick building in Europe and is notable for its original, lavishArt Deco interior fittings and decor.[SUP][5][/SUP]However, the building's condition has been described as "very bad" by English Heritage, who include the power station on its Buildings at Risk Register.[SUP][6][/SUP] In 2004, while the redevelopment project was stalled, and the building remained derelict, the site was listed on the 2004 World Monuments Watch by the World Monuments Fund.[SUP][7[/SUP]

2nd edit
The proposal sparked protests from those who felt that the building would be too large and would be an eyesore, as well as worries about the pollution damaging local buildings, parks and even paintings in the nearby Tate Gallery. The company addressed the former concern by hiring Sir Giles Gilbert Scott to design the building's exterior. He was a noted architect and industrial designer, famous for his design of the red telephone box, and of Liverpool Anglican Cathedral. He would go on to design another London power station, Bankside, which now houses the Tate Modern art gallery.[SUP][5][/SUP]

Also famous because of it's visit by a pig.

Last edited:
Good to meet you on Friday Nik. I had a great time - bumped into many other regulars from the EV scene. I hardly had any time to myself!

Props to the guy from Nissan for the succinct answer to the hydrogen question.

Likewise. I got to drive a Leaf, an Ampera, the Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4 (Diesel-Electric) and ride in a Citroen C0. I passed on the Renault Fluence due to having to leave early, and the battery position makes it unsuitable even for doing the weekly shopping. No boot space is all well and good in a Roadster or a Karma, but this is a regular-looking four-door saloon.

I agree with you regarding the Ampera, and I have good experience with Vauxhall vehicles, but the 4-seat configuration makes it a non-starter for me. I liked the Leaf a lot, but I would need to really consider how I could plan around the range issue. The Hybrid4 power train was very nice, the ICE bit was as smooth as all PSA diesels and the transition from battery to ICE was seamless. For the the family car, I think either this or the forthcoming 508RXH may be the way forward.