Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Edinburgh SR+ pickup, minor body issues, impressions and other thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the experience share... i am due any day now to pick up at edinburgh.

How much notice did you get? when did you order?

Ordered 16 July. Pickup 28 September.
I was given my appointment email on 17 September. Admittedly I phoned them and asked and they said "oh your car is in Europe and you can get it" and 30 minutes later I got the appointment email.
They called the day before the pickup to confirm the appointment and give me my reg for insurance.

To my eyes my headlights point a touch low, but I've only ever had halogen lights before, so the contrast isn't so pronounced as with these.

I might get Tesla to check them for me when they look at my high level brake light.

I have blanks, 69 plate. Even though i can "turn them on".

Don't miss them

Although it slightly bothers me that a 40k car doesnt have something as simple as front foglights (which get fitted almost as standard to everything these days). I don't actually think i've ever used front fogs on any of my cars ... plenty of people seem to use them as additonal lights though which isn't what they're for.

There is, deep in the config somewhere. But it comes with lots of warnings about not being able to put it back to the carefully calibrated factory settings after etc. Might be a charge visit if you need them and don't like the results

i find the autoheadlights on the model 3 to work really well and they are bright. will see how it goes in the foggy season but I think it's OK

I think it depends on the road. Very pleased first time we tried, but not so great yesterday on different roads and conditions. At one point we pulled up to a lit roundabout from an unlit stretch and they were remained full on. Not sure if we have been flashed a few times - they sometimes seem to turn off a bit later than I would but, just because you can see headlights infront of you doesn't mean they are being affected by them, ie dual carriage way, it wanted to put high beam on when I would not have used it. No idea if it would have affected the oncoming cars. A bit slower than me to put on too, plus they don't (yet) have ability to sense cars around a corner (from glow on surrounding features) like we do, so a few times, lights back on then immediately off as a car comes around the corner.

Better light than our VW Passat though - they were awful.

Hey all. A brief account of my experience picking up in Edinburgh on Saturday.

There were 5 cars in our group. We got time with a demo car. We were showed about and our apps were set up automagically.
Our cars were outside and were 'big revealed'.

My white SR+ had no paint issues but did have some bodywork issues. Two doors were misaligned and the front bumper had a slight misalignment. I told this to the handover people and they immediately took the car into the service centre and very quickly fixed it. This was a fantastic result as it meant not having to bring the car back or running the risk of not having the car. It must be said that I think 3 out of 5 cars had issues. I showed some misalignments to other people and one guy with a red one had a weird paint dripping smudge on his one mirror and a schuff mark on his 'fender'.

The car itself is fantastic. The SR+ is plenty fast. It gives you that rollercoaster acceleration feeling when you put your foot down. It sits on the road really well and is incredibly responsive.
Navigate on Autopilot (I bought FSD) works well. I used it to drive up to Aviemore on the A9. It's a dreadful road full of roadworks. NOA did everything, including dealing with the roadworks, just fine. The only niggle is that you need to confirm it's lane changes.

I've received the v10 update (yesterday). It now shows more road information and I think it's autopiloting even better. I still need to test Autopark. It definitely can't do roundabouts yet imho.

Charging has been OK. I tried Edinburgh, Perth and Aviemore. I wish it was a bit quicker but in each case my battery was fairly full.
I also tried some public chargers. They seem more hit and miss. A lot of them show "disabled" and on a 50kw charger I only got 24kw with the battery at 31%. But hey, it's free in Scotland so I watched some Netflix on the MCU to pass the time.

Audio is pretty good but not mind blowing. I understand that there are some unused speakers in the car that will get enabled with future updates.

Summon, albeit just backward and forward, has been far more useful than I ever thought it would. A got parked in by a BMW yesterday and instead of trying to squeeze into the door I simply reversed the car out and got in. (My kids thing the car is magical because it can do this)

I have a small issue with the steering wheel squeaking. I've seen youtube videos of people fixing this by sticking wd40 down a hole on the steering wheel. I'd rather let Tesla do this, so I've booked a SC appointment for this week.

The car came with a type 2 charging cable, a mobile charging cables that runs off mains/3pin plug and an emergency/roadside kit. I bought some floor mats from NextdayCarMats. They fit in perfectly and has already caught a lot of sand and leaves.

I'm using a Podpoint at home. I've had some issues but it was fixed 'remotely'. That seems to be doing fine. It was a treat warming the car up this morning before going to work and it just running the heating off the charger.

All in all - I'm glad I didn't spring for the more expensive versions of the car. This one is plenty. Handling is great. NOA is very helpful. Range seems fine with all the superchargers about.

The Edinburgh staff are also incredibly helpful and friendly.

How do they fix misalignment like this at the time?

Ordered 16 July. Pickup 28 September.
I was given my appointment email on 17 September. Admittedly I phoned them and asked and they said "oh your car is in Europe and you can get it" and 30 minutes later I got the appointment email.
They called the day before the pickup to confirm the appointment and give me my reg for insurance.

Ahh cheers. sorry for the bump, but im just back from holiday, still no contact I was predicting hearing whist i was away and having to land on saturday morning and go straight to get it jetlagged, but no. I need to phone today i think!

I ordered mine the week after you, so really hoping its not much longer. My current car goes back to finance company on wednesday so if i dont hear pretty soon looks like i might need to hire something.