Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Edit color increased the price [Making a change to a saved order increased price to current price]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I placed a model 3 RWD order on 9/23 at the price of $39,990. Hearing the silver paint color is now available at no additional cost I edited the car on11/24 to change the color from white to silver. I checked FAQ to learn that I could edit the color, there was no mention that it would change the car price. When I edited the color the website did not show anytype of checkout/summary page showing the change in color and the total pricing. When I checked email later that day I had an email confirmation with the color and the price was changed to the recurrent price $44,990. I am contacting Tesla to get the price changed back to $39,990 as I do not think Tesla in any way communicated the change in color would increase the price. Has anyone had a similar experience and best ways to resolve with Tesla?

I placed a model 3 RWD order on 9/23 at the price of $39,990. Hearing the silver paint color is now available at no additional cost I edited the car on11/24 to change the color from white to silver. I checked FAQ to learn that I could edit the color, there was no mention that it would change the car price. When I edited the color the website did not show anytype of checkout/summary page showing the change in color and the total pricing. When I checked email later that day I had an email confirmation with the color and the price was changed to the recurrent price $44,990. I am contacting Tesla to get the price changed back to $39,990 as I do not think Tesla in any way communicated the change in color would increase the price. Has anyone had a similar experience and best ways to resolve with Tesla?
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that was a $5k paint color change and almost 0% chance you'll get your old price back. You make ANY change to an existing order, the price gets updated to the current pricing.

Reactions: voxel and rpiotro

Just read about this happening to another guy on Reddit. He said he was going to sue them....Yeah sadly i have to agree with the guy above me. Your down the creek without a paddle. I called because I wanted to change the colour a few weeks after I placed the order. They told me I would be charged for the colour upgrade AND the price increase since my order. so an extra 3300. 1300 CAD to goto black and 2k price increase. I do think that the wording on the website is junk as it makes you think you can make changes without affecting the price other than the cost of the upgrade but that's clearly not the case. Always remember at the end of the day they have a production problem not a demand problem. You can try to fight but you will lose.

Reactions: Sackmonkey
If I understand it correctly the silver is now included as a "base" color option at TODAY's prices. Expecting to get it added at no charge if you ordered before the price increase isn't reasonable. That's almost equivalent of me calling them up and demanding a power lift gate at no charge because the latest (more expensive) model has one included. That sucks that the order edit page doesn't include any mention of price changes when you do it - I'd expect they would revert your order back to its original but I guess it depends on how far into the process they are in the build.

Actually, yes they did, its in your order agreement. I looked up the order agreement specifically because someone in the model Y subforum complained of something similar.

Also, that color was not "free", the price had went up by more than the cost tesla used to charge for that color, and they decided to make that color available to people who paid that fee.

This entire discussion already happened (along with me posting the text from teslas order form showing specifically that any change can make the price adjust.

I will link that thread here, and will be locking this thread as this discussion has already happened. It can be continued in the thread I am linking to (as its the same discussion, and further along).

Status
Not open for further replies.