Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Edited: Apple as a worthy competitor, benevolent partner, or benevolent acquirer?

Would you rather see Apple as a worthy competitor, a benevolent partner, or a benevolent acquirer?

• Worthy Competitor

• Benevolent Partner

• Benevolent Acquirer

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This Poll Has Been Updated

Made a poll to gauge the opinion of the TMC community in light of the on and off Apple discussions. This poll is updated to add a third choice: benevolent partner. The first poll was too polarizing. The third choice offers a middle ground, while still being realistic.

Many folks have expressed the desire for a "none of the above" option. I agree that this would be the ideal choice for Tesla investors (myself included). But then there would be no point of conducting the poll, as everyone (myself included) would choose that option. The purpose of the poll is to ascertain what investors would prefer if Apple indeed chooses to enter the EV (and autonomous/smartcar) market. If you wholeheartedly don't believe that Apple will enter the market, then you can either not vote or perhaps you can consider it as a total hypothetical. Below is a link that summarizes publicly available reports on Apple's activities in the EV/smartcar market.

Apple Car: It's no secret, Apple's actively working on Car tech

I want to emphasize that the choice of competitor above is qualified by being "worthy" and not simply a second rate competitor. Not saying that either Apple or Tesla will win, but that Apple will at least give Tesla a run for its money, as opposed to the compliance EVs by legacy OEMs. And like Tesla, Apple would compete effectively on all three fronts: EV powertrain, autonomy, and carOS. They would at least design the cars and maybe even manufacture them if not license to a 3rd party manufacturer. We don't need to get into further details, as the term "worthy competitor" is sufficient to get the point across.

I made the poll to be viewed only after voting (to be more honest IMO). But if you folks feel that the results should be viewed before voting, let me know below. If enough people feel this way, I will change it (if I am still able to).

You can change your mind after you vote. Your individual votes are not displayed publicly.

If you have any other thoughts or feedback, please comment below. Thanks!

Edit: For those wondering, Benevolent Partner could mean many things (short of actually acquiring Tesla in whole). For example: Apple makes a cash investment and remains a silent partner; Apple and Tesla partner on just software and carOS; A more deep partnership involving R&D on autonomy and perhaps even EV powertrains; Manufacturing and/or logistics partner; etc. (whatever else you may think of).

Results from the prior poll (thus far):

If you had to choose, would you rather see Apple as a worthy competitor or benevolent acquirer?

Worthy Competitor: 17, 58.6%

Benevolent Acquirer: 12, 41.4%

Last edited:
A comprehensive history of Project Titan (Apple's "secretive" car project):

Apple Car: It's no secret, Apple's actively working on Car tech

"Reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo also believes that Apple is still working on an Apple Car that will launch between 2023 and 2025. Kuo believes the car will be Apple's "next star product" with Apple able to offer "better integration of hardware, software and services" than potential competitors in the automotive market, with Apple-designed chips manufactured by TSMC."

There is also timeline at the end of the article:

October2019
Oct 18 Quanta Reportedly Supplying Apple With 'Autonomous Driving Solutions'

July2019
Jul 22 Apple Hires Former Tesla Engineering VP With Expertise in Car Interiors

June2019
Jun 28 Jony Ive Once Insisted on Apple Car Without a Steering Wheel
Jun 25 Apple Confirms Acquisition of Self-Driving Vehicle Startup Drive.ai
Jun 6 Apple Reportedly in Process of Acquiring Self-Driving Vehicle Company Drive.ai

April2019
Apr 17 Apple Reportedly Seeking LiDAR Sensors With 'Revolutionary Design' for Self-Driving Vehicles

February2019
Feb 27 Apple Confirms 190 Layoffs From Self-Driving Car Project
Feb 21 German Report Says 'Apple Car' Could Arrive in Form of Electric Van
Feb 20 Apple Shares White Paper on Self-Driving Car Safety
Feb 13 Apple's Self-Driving Car Performance May Not Be So Bad After All
Feb 12 Apple Reports Self-Driving Car Disengagements to DMV, Earns Worst Rank

January2019
Jan 30 Second Apple Employee Accused of Stealing Apple Car Details
Jan 24 Apple Cuts 200+ Employees From 'Project Titan' Autonomous Car Team

December2018
Dec 17 Apple Hires Former Tesla and Microsoft HoloLens Designer Andrew Kim

October2018
Oct 21 Apple Signs Lease for Large Manufacturing Facility in Milpitas, California
Oct 19 Apple Self-Driving Car in Manual Mode Involved in Minor Collision That Wasn’t Driver’s Fault on October 15
Oct 17 TSMC to Remain Sole iPhone Chip Supplier, Could Provide ARM-Based Chips for Mac in 2020, Apple Car Chips in 2023

August2018
Aug 31 Apple Autonomous Test Vehicle Involved in Accident on August 24
Aug 14 Kuo: Apple to Launch Apple Car in 2023 to 2025
Aug 10 Former Tesla Lead Engineer Doug Field Returns to Apple to Work on Project Titan

Last edited: