Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Editorial: Comparing the base 2019 Model S 75D to the base 2013 Model S 60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

commasign

TeslaAdviceBlog.com
Aug 31, 2013
Davis, CA
Note: I made similar posts about 6 months ago and 18 months ago, but as usual Tesla made a lot of changes since then.

It can be hard to keep track of all the changes Tesla has made to standard features, options, and pricing over the years, so let’s looks at how the current base 2019 Tesla Model S 75D compares to the old base 2013 Tesla Model S 60. First, the 2019 Model S priced at $76,000 is only slightly more expensive than the 2013 Model S which was priced at $69,900 when accounting for 6 years of inflation (US Inflation Calculator). Then there are numerous improvements and refinements to the car:

• Autopilot 2.5 hardware and safety features (front and side collision warning and avoidance, blind spot detection and warning, lane departure warning, speed limit display, automatic high beams; software upgradeable to Enhanced Autopilot and hardware upgradeable to Full Self-Driving)
  • 3rd generation premium front seats, 12-way power adjustable and heated
  • 4th generation premium rear seats with improved headrests and side bolsters
  • 48 amp charger (instead of 40 amp)
  • 2nd generation Media Control Unit
  • Integrated dashcam
  • 3-position LED dynamic turning headlights
  • Updated graphite-colored interior trim accents
  • Refreshed/redesigned exterior styling with new front fascia and improved aerodynamics
  • Improved higher resolution center instrument display
  • Improved higher resolution rear camera
  • Improved sun visor and new lighted vanity mirrors
  • Improved rear doors opening width
  • Improved chargeport door with auto-closing
  • Improved HVAC system with HEPA filter and bioweapon defense mode
  • Fit and finish refinements with decreased road and cabin noise
  • 2 rear USB ports
  • Supercharging capability included
IMG_6227.jpg

But wait… There’s more! The following items are now standard but were at some point paid upgrades/options/retrofits: (Note: This is admittedly a gross exaggeration as these items were never all available at the same time and represent the peak individual item pricing, leaving out the progression of intermediate price reductions and discount/free bundling that has occurred over time; but the point remains that a base 2013 Model S 60 does not have any of these items included whereas a 2019 Model S 75D does):

• Performance inverter with P85-matching 0-60mph acceleration time of 4.2 seconds (instead of 5.9 seconds) – $10,000
  • 75 kWh battery pack with 259 mile EPA range (instead of 60 kWh with 208 mile EPA range) – $8,500
  • Dual motor all-wheel-drive - $5,000
  • Smart air suspension – $2,500
  • Technology package (navigation with real-time traffic, auto-presenting door handles, power folding mirrors, homelink, driver profiles, daytime running lights, automatic liftgate) – $3,750
  • 4G LTE internet connectivity - $500
  • Leather/faux-leather seats - $1,500
  • Extended leather/faux-leather trim - $2,500
  • Premium sound system - $2,500
  • Premium interior lighting – $1,000
  • Fog lights – $500
  • Alcantara headliner – $1,500
  • Wood decor – $650
  • Parking sensors – $500
  • Premium center console with rear cupholders – $1,250
  • Parcel shelf – $250
  • Glass roof – $1,500
  • Aerodynamic 19” wheels – $2,500
Total (peak) value of upgrades/options/retrofits – $46,400

In summary, not only is the base 2019 Model S about the same price as a base 2013 Model S (when accounting for inflation), it also comes with numerous improvements and refinements, plus $46,400 in "free" upgrades!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ChadS and bpjod
Fit and finish refinements with decreased road and cabin noise

Only one tiny asterisk to that. I just got a brand new base 75D as a loaner while my 60 is at the service center. Yes, the car feels more substantial and the road noise is noticeably reduced. But the motor noise is certainly more present. Probably about twice as present as a result of that D on the badge... And the frunk goes from being very capable storage space to becoming a receptacle for the charging gear and little else.

All this to say that I wish there was still a base model with just rear wheel drive. I just had to be that guy :) And I will keep the yacht floor while I am at it, thank you very much.

Fantastic list in any case! Very interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: commasign