Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Editorial: Why it is safer to have creep mode ON rather than OFF.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think OP was making a comment in regards to the model x owner that claimed unintended acceleration as well as some model s crashes in parking lots. It does seem that some new owners may be hitting the accelerator thinking they are in reverse. Maybe these folks are overwhelmed with the completely new drive of a silent, powerful, stationary EV - education is the solution.

Ok, maybe I didn't articulate what my point was clearly enough. Creep Mode ON means that the car moves on its own if your foot is not on the accelerator pedal. My point (and really the only point I'm making; i.e. Ok to discard all other commentary) is that if Creep Mode is OFF, and the car is at rest (0 mph, not moving), you have a unique situation where the all 4 gear positions (drive, reverse, neutral, and park) become indistinguishable without looking at the dash. And this introduces a small risk for accident for an inattentive or inexperienced Tesla driver. Whereas with Creep Mode ON, the fact that the car isn't moving eliminates the possibility that it's in drive or reverse. Yes, the driver still has to be attentive, but perhaps it is an easier to be aware that the car is moving than to be aware of the gear indicator on the dash.

Reactions: gaswalla
Ok, maybe I didn't articulate what my point was clearly enough. Creep Mode ON means that the car moves on its own if your foot is not on the accelerator pedal. My point (and really the only point I'm making; i.e. Ok to discard all other commentary) is that if Creep Mode is OFF, and the car is at rest (0 mph, not moving), you have a unique situation where the all 4 gear positions (drive, reverse, neutral, and park) become indistinguishable without looking at the dash. And this introduces a small risk for accident for an inattentive or inexperienced Tesla driver. Whereas with Creep Mode ON, the fact that the car isn't moving eliminates the possibility that it's in drive or reverse. Yes, the driver still has to be attentive, but perhaps it is an easier to be aware that the car is moving than to be aware of the gear indicator on the dash.
I disagree. With creep mode on and you are at a stop sign on a hill and the moment you take your foot off the brake pedal, the car will move in the direction of the slope not based on the gear the car is in.

Reactions: JeffK and gaswalla

Right, but should people be optimizing safety systems for when a car is stationary in a parking lot vs say...driving?

• Disagree
Reactions: AUSinator
I disagree. With creep mode on and you are at a stop sign on a hill and the moment you take your foot off the brake pedal, the car will move in the direction of the slope not based on the gear the car is in.
I was about to bring up a similar point. I park in a hilly area and my current ICE car is an automatic with creep and it is not a reliable indicator of what gear I am in because of the hills. I have to be either be mentally aware of which gear I selected or I look at the dash.

I do get his point that it is somewhat useful in flat areas. However, the advantage I see is slightly different. In a flat area, you can park a car with your foot on the brake pedal alone using creep and never worry about over-application of the throttle.

@commasign, I see the value in what you're suggesting. It would make the vehicle more predictable with Creep Mode on. The fact that most members are focusing on how one gets into this situation, rather than on the subject you're trying to convey, is quite humorous. Look a squirrel.

Until I get my vehicle and play around with both settings, I'm not sure which option I'll go with, but I definitely see the advantage of what you're suggesting.

• Disagree
Reactions: newtman
yeah, this thread seems to have comments from folks who don't understand the car. The car does not go off or into Park just because your are in creep and you hit the brakes. Take your foot off the brakes, and the car creeps forward --- until you crash
It creeps forward until you hit the accelerator to move forward, right? Why would the car would NOT move?
If you know you aren't moving, then your panic should cause you do do nothing.
If you are moving forward slowly, then your panic is likely to cause you to stomp on a pedal.
Given this, in the above scenario, regardless of gear and whether you are moving... no creep is as safe or safer depending no the scenario.

I will agree, however, that creep can be an indicator of whether you are in forward or reverse.

However I would argue that having creep on is something that frequently "necessitates immediate action" and rushes the driver (e.g. I notice I'm moving) where as no-creep more often allows the driver to thing through their actions.
Hence I actually believe no-creep is safer overall, particularly now that the Teslas have a decent hold mode that holds the car when you aren't using a pedal.
I'm not accustomed to one-pedal driving yet, so my right foot will be on the brake when I am at a light or stop sign...it's second nature for me and my ICE-driving background. It sounds like if you use regen to slow down and come to a complete stop (your timing has to be spot on?) it's possible that you don't have any feet on any pedal while at the stop sign/light? Then, at what point would the car go creeping if the creep mode is "on"? Or would it not come to a complete stop at all if you used regen to slow down??

Can't wait to try these scenarios out. When I test drove the X, I used the brakes to stop at lights/signs. And creep mode was on. It is what I'm accustomed to.

I always have creep ON. It is safer in a tight parking spots than trying to control finer movements through foot and accelerator. Also in stop and go traffic it allows one foot driving using just brake pedal which is less stressful and safer.

Reactions: wooter