Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Edmonds Inside Line: Suspension Walkaround

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2012 Tesla Model S Signature Performance Suspension Walkaround

Very in depth and technical analysis of the Model S suspension.

Great article. Thanks. I think this was mentioned before but I like the talk about the unreleased sport package
Our Signature Performance Model S was equipped with a Sport package that hasn't yet been released for production. How can we tell? The Schrader valves we saw on all four Bilstein monotube shocks are only found on so-called "take-apart" shocks that are used in development. These valves allow the gas to be removed easily so the shock can be taken apart quickly in the field, rebuilt with different valving, then re-gassed.

I'd assume that will be made available later as an upgrade but wonder what else it will include other than tire upgrades and maybe some suspension changes.

Re the "sport/custom suspension": The way I'm reading it is that maybe it doesn't really give any advantage, but this kind of "upgraded" suspension is actually something that was used in testing/development so that they could empty/refill the pneumatics for testing? And then they just let it sit there since it was funtional? Or am I reading it wrong - maybe it does enhance the suspension somehow?

Yikes I hope I can upgrade mine!

Would they really take my tires back and exchange them?

By the time they come out with the performance+ suspension (and at this time there is NO plan) then I'm sure your tires will have worn to the point that wider tires can be bought. The rest is changes in shocks, bushings, etc which should be relatively easy for the backyard mechanic to swap out.

I was hoping that the MSP would come with performance suspension as well as the performance motor. I believe the Tesla website at one time stated that it came with performance tuned suspension. The current suspension is amazing as it is though!

This article is very interesting. Seeing the internals, in depth.

I noticed the air intake (or exhaust ?) that seems to be in front of the wheel on this picture :
fe_9171213_600.jpg

I am afraid this will get clogged when driving in snow / slush.

Anybody know what this is for ?

Anybody know what this is for ?

My assumption is that air flows from the heat exchangers to there to reduce the drag. In the Alpha cars that vent was by the side badge but I guess it was either too hard to manufacture or it had harmonics problems that weren't solvable so it got moved to the wheel well location. Snow and ice would do a good job of clogging it but you're not going to be setting any range records under those conditions anyway so perhaps it's a non-issue. We won't really know until we get some owner feedback.