Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Edmunds.com test car failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hate to hear that...they had a pretty early version of the S, I wonder if they'd had the 12v battery update?

Yes, it has been replaced once before. Item 4 on our Sept. 2013 service ticket consists of four service bulletin corrections, one of which was the replacement of the 12V battery. The part number is listed as 1024463-00-A. Seven other associated fasteners and terminal clamp adapters were replaced along with it.

FYI: our Model S has a VIN in the low 4600's and had 18,822 miles on it at the time of this latest fault.

As for the author recalling his dealership experience, please don't read anything conspiratorial into that. Matt's just saying he's driven enough unfamiliar cars over the years that he thought he'd have no trouble finding neutral in a car he hadn't driven before.

Last edited:
Yes, it has been replaced once before. Item 4 on our Sept. 2013 service ticket consists of four service bulletin corrections, one of which was the replacement of the 12V battery. The part number is listed as 1024463-00-A. Seven other associated fasteners and terminal clamp adapters were replaced along with it.

As for the author recalling his dealership experience, please don't read anything conspiratorial into that. Matt's just saying he's driven enough unfamiliar cars over the years that he thought he'd have no trouble finding neutral in a car he hadn't driven before.

Except that selecting neutral in the Model S is different from any other car I've ever seen. Putting it in "N" works fine as long as you stay in the driver's seat, but as soon as you get out it puts itself back into Park--unless you put it in Tow Mode using the menus in the center screen. This is something I didn't really think about until I was causing a huge problem at the car wash because every time I got out of the car it would put itself into Park and mess up the machine.

Maybe he did that, but from the text and description it doesn't sound like it. It sounds more like he tried to put it in N, got out, and got frustrated when the car (seemingly) wouldn't go into Neutral.

I don't ascribe any conspiracy theory to the dealership experience, though; I just don't think it's relevant.

- - - Updated - - -

Amazing coincidence that this gets posted today, just before earnings announcement.

And I think it is a coincidence. They tweeted about it a few days ago, and I'm sure it takes some time to post the actual story.

I don't think Edmunds.com is much of a market-mover.

It's a bummer that they are seeing so many quality issues with their Tesla. My experience with my Tesla has been fantastic. My VIN is in the 1600s and I haven't had any issues or service visits yet. I have about 16100 miles on mine.

So, what is the process of getting the car out of the road?

Put the car in tow mode, push to the side of the road? I wouldn't want to push a car that could get rear-ended.

I think in most cases, the car should have enough momentum to glide to the side of the road. Maybe Tesla can add a safeguard that if there is a failure occuring and there is no acceleration available, the car is automatically shifts into neutral to give the maximum amount of momentum to carry forward.

This happened to my P85 the first morning after I took delivery, but was in my car garage and not on the road. I actually was able to get the car into drive after about I hour and get it to the service center for the battery replacement. VIN 19846.

still loving the car though!!!!!!

Gotta have a little more tolerance when you are "on the bleeding edge" with technology.

Based on their account of what occurred, I highly doubt we are talking 12 V failure. Most likely the HV pack will need replacement. Wonder if they have an A pack?

Edit: VIN in the 4000s most certainly has a B pack.
Most of these failures are inverter related, and some take out the main battery fuse(that's why Tesla replaces the traction pack).

Would love to know how old/new (read: what's the VIN) of the test car Edmunds was given.

One lesson for me at least from this story:

• Consider buying some flares.
• Consider buying some high-reflection hazard triangles

I kinda wish Tesla would include these things as a safety kit. Some European manufacturers do or at least used to.

I keep a reflective safety triangle in the trunk -- originally came with a BMW that I did Euro Delivery with in 2001. Sometime before then, BMW no longer included safety triangles in US-spec cars, unless you did a Euro Delivery, where they are required by law...

In most (all?) European countries you are required by law to have a reflection hazard triangle in your car.

Yep... Those laws now also require reflective safety vests to be carried in the car. Ikea sells the vests in their US stores now too...

I don't understand, are you complaining that Edmunds are reporting that their car had a problem, on a blog where they discuss their experiences with the car over the period of a year, the whole point of which is to document ownership of the car and any issues that might come up?

Guess what guys, these cars have problems and they will get reported. And for better or for worse, they are more interesting that Cobalts, Tauruses, Prii, Pacers, Darts or whatever, and so will capture more attention.

I've had great luck with my Model S so far. My 12v battery was replaced proactively a few months ago.

Frankly, my reading of the Edmund's article was factual and unbiased. He never drew any major conclusions like, "this car is totally unreliable," etc., but he reports on what happened with the car and points out that there's an issue with putting the car in neutral when it's electrically dead.

I bet Tesla gets it fixed before the weekend.

Still on the original 12V at 18,000+ miles. The only major issues have been the replaced charge port and master charger, and alignment. As a comparison, my 2004 Prius' major issues were the car dying while driving (software fix during the early days), inverter coolant pump, and HID headlights. Given the differences in resources available between the two companies, I have a pretty good idea of which company built the better car.