TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Edmunds Insideline Model S Full Test

Discussion in 'Model S' started by teslasuperfan, Sep 18, 2012.

1. teslasuperfan

teslasuperfan Member

2012 Tesla Model S Full Test

The beat the EPA 265 mile range in two separate drives!

They used Elon's car, the same one MotorTrend folks used in their range tests from LA to Vegas and back. Unlike MotorTrend, they drove in full comfort of the A/C and prevailing highway speeds.

They actually think Model S is in the same class as Porsche Panamera and Maserati Quattroporte, quite a class up from Audi A6, BMW 5 series or E class.

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Beat me by 2 mins :)

Great review. None of the pointless "let's test the range with the air con off" crap.

3. Adm

Adm Active Member

Looks like Elon thinks the performance version isn't sporty enough.

4. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Great review. Dan Edmunds not only got almost all of the facts correct, the article is so much better written than most of the others I've seen. It truly was a pleasure to read.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

So, performance sport?

6. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

That explains why his car has the Michelin tires...

7. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

Perhaps this also explains the alcantara on the dash and the special stitching (appears to be white threads).

8. TheAustin

TheAustin Model S: P2009 P85

Edmunds Inside Line review of the Model S

2012 Tesla Model S Full Test

Music to my ears:

"With 265 miles of EPA-rated range on tap, we're sitting here munching our lunch and admiring the view with a battery that's still more than half full. We'll make it home comfortably the same way we got here — at prevailing freeway speeds, with the A/C on and the stereo thumping.

Why so confident? Because yesterday we drove the Tesla 267 miles on a single charge, and it was on our suburban city test loop, which includes plenty of stop-and-go driving along the way."

[Insert smiley face here!]

9. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Like I said in other thread they say say 12 hour charging time at 40 amp,but I thought it was about 8?

10. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

I'll reply here as well I guess...

220V x 40A = 8.8kW
    85kWh / 8.8 kW = 9.65 hours... probably more like 10 hours for a full range mode charge (since it charges more slowly at the end).

11. Bearman

Bearman Member

From the Tesla site their calculator says it takes 9:26 from completely empty to full on a range charge.
    Screenshot_2.jpg

12. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

This shot makes the black Model S back on the table for me. So far, colors on the table are ... all of them!

2012_tesla_model-s_actprf_ft_911121_717.jpg

13. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

So basically their 12 hours is way off:
    There's a catch, though, as most homes don't have the excess capacity to support a dedicated 100-amp breaker. For that reason the HPWC is compatible with service as low as 40 amps, the same as most SAE Level 2 power supplies. At this level the Model S will refill itself in 12 hours.

14. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

I still think black is the best color on the Model S (although it does not have a bad color available to it) When I was on the list, my configuration in "My Tesla" was always black.

15. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

a 40A breaker can only be used @ 32A continuous. That is where they are getting 12 hours from. :)

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Every time you change your mind on your color you should change you avatar car color so we can keep track!

17. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Well, I don't have enough time to change my avatar that frequently. :tongue:

18. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Tesla needs a media relations person who can clearly communicate charging information to the media...as this will affect sales to some degree for a technology misunderstood or not understood by the majority of the world. They need to communicate:

-Vast majority of drivers are fine with a NEMA 14-50 which can be installed for as little as $50 and as much as about $1K depending on length of line run, expertise of the homeowner, etc.
    -Supercharger network of high speed chargers is coming soon.
    -HPWC/100A connection is only needed for those who nearly deplete their battery and need a "quick turnaround" on the car.

It's the little things like this that get lost on the "non-believers" and end up dominating comments sections of website articles.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla needs a media relations person who can clearly communicate charging information to the media...as this will affect sales to some degree for a technology misunderstood or not understood by the majority of the world. They need to communicate:

-Vast majority of drivers are fine with a NEMA 14-50 which can be installed for as little as $50 and as much as about $1K depending on length of line run, expertise of the homeowner, etc.
    -Supercharger network of high speed chargers is coming soon.
    -HPWC/100A connection is only needed for those who nearly deplete their battery and need a "quick turnaround" on the car.

It's the little things like this that get lost on the "non-believers" and end up dominating comments sections of website articles.

19. chrisn

chrisn Member

Review doesn't actually say this. They use the Panny GTS for performance compare and mention that the car is as big as a Quattroporte, but they don't make any qualitative comparison to the other cars you mention.