TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Edmunds: March 17 Production Details / Owner's Message Compilation

Discussion in 'News' started by stopcrazypp, Jan 25, 2008.

1. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Edmunds Inside Line: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=124462

"Tesla Motors has confirmed for Inside Line that production of the delayed Tesla Roadster will begin on March 17.
    Tesla spokesman Joe Powers said production will ramp up in a "slow cadence" of about one car per week. "We'll be getting the processes down and getting a feel for the build of the vehicle," he said. "The eventual rate will be 40 cars per week. That is realistic based on what Lotus has committed to. We'll get there eventually. The question is, how soon can we ramp up to full production? I would say we'll get close to full production in late 2008." "

Many of you have already known the production date, and another thread already mentioned this, but since that thread has turned into a long comment/speculation of the new transmission, I decided to start this new thread. It seems they will start with 1 car per week starting on March 17, and will eventually reach 40 cars per week.
    Article also says: "Originally, the Roadster was to have been equipped with an electric motor with a two-speed electrically actuated manual shift transmission and could sprint from zero to 60 mph in under 6 seconds."
    That's incorrect, as originally it should be 4 seconds.

I've also decided to compile most of the articles about the email to the owners and about the production details announcement, mostly with interest to the comments. Again, most of the people continue to show skeptisim about Tesla in the comments and you have the whole "vaporware" tone to the articles too. Seems most of the blogs expect Tesla to die soon. However, I am under the impression that the owners (ie the ones who put down the money for the car) don't feel the same way, with the communication between owners and Tesla being excellent so far. The ones making the comments about Tesla dying only seem to be outside speculators.
    Of special interest is The Truth About Cars' "Tesla Birthwatch" series. I'm sure alot of you will get a good chuckle from the views/speculation of those who are far outside the owner's circle. Click the "Tesla Birthwatch" link near the top of the TTAC article I posted to see what I mean.

Production Announcement:

Autoblog: Tesla Roadster to begin production on March 17th - Autoblog

TTAC: Tesla Birth Watch 28: Could This Be the End… | The Truth About Cars

Owner Mail:

Jalopnik: Industry News: Tesla Fixes Transmission Woes, Sets Production Date, Claims They're Not Dead Yet

Autoblog: Tesla finds a solution to transmission troubles - Autoblog

Autobloggreen: Breaking: Tesla has a solution for their transmission woes: get rid of it! - AutoblogGreen