TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Edmunds - Price with Options is available

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rlawson4, Jan 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

I can't find the link at the moment. It came up under the context of Motor Trend Car of the Year and that the Model S would be competing with other cars for 2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year.

2. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

For VIN purposes, at a minimum, it will have to have a model year.

One source confirming the 2013:
    Cars Direct

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

#23 AnOutsider, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
    my turn to pick nits :)

Hardly a source for accurate info on minute details. I'm watching the video now to see if I can find where he says it.

*edit* searched through some videos, but still can't seem to find where it was said. Perhaps it was said by someone else off-camera? :confused:

4. engle

engle Member

Edmunds replied:

Hi,

Thanks for sending us this information and your pricing spreadsheet, we did receive a few questions regarding the Tesla Model S and we are looking back over our information. As for the issue regarding the $7500 tax credit, this is a government rebate for Electric Vehicles in general and not just for Tesla. Chevrolet and Nissan like to advertise their prices on the Volt and Leaf with the tax credit baked into their msrp as well. We also have these vehicles listed at the MSRP before the tax credit also. If you purchase any of these vehicles you will pay the dealer the full MSRP price before the tax credit and it will be up to you to claim the tax credit with the government.

Please let us know if we may be of any further assistance.

Kind regards,

Sheldon Kung
    QA Analyst

They still have gross misteaks like no "technology" package. Now I have to try to wake-up kbb.com to start listing the Model S!

5. smd

smd Member

I wonder how long it will take for Edmumds True Market Value to be below MSRP.

6. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

A rhetorical question, I presume?! As long as Tesla's supply stays behind demand, there's no haggling allowed :smile:

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#27 brianman, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
    With Edmund's configurator, I don't even know where to start pointing out issues.

I'll pick a simple one: Signature doesn't list Red as an option for the exterior.

Their "video review" has the "spy video", rather than using any of the wide variety of videos (such as the October event and test drives) that have all been floating around. The spy video that has the interior completely gutted (looks like C-3P0 in Ep1) and the rear bumper absent is the best they could do? Weak.

If anybody from Edmund's happens to see this post, I'll help you out:

tesla model s - Bing Videos
    "tesla model s" - Google Search
    - Yahoo! Video Search

Bonus points for choosing a video that has a beta vehicle.

Tip: the side mirrors (simple teardrop) and wheels (9 spoke) tell you it's a prototype body rather than a beta.

8. Dan5

Dan5 Member

#28 Dan5, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
    Edmunds reply:

Thanks for sending us this information, we always appreciate user feedback. We are having some glitches in our website displaying some of the Model S information and we are in the process of fixing them. Answers to your questions are as follows:

1. Tesla was very vague about the model years of the Model S which is why we released it as a 2012, but after further research we will change it to 2013.

2. Tech Package is available and only on the Base and Performance styles. The Signature styles come standard with this package and it will not appear in the option section.

3. The base Model S with 40 kwh battery is a late availabilty style, which makes all the the options (upgraded batteries) associated with it late availability as well.

4. There is a site glitch that is not displaying the correct price for the 19" and 21" Wheels.

5. There is a site glitch that is not displaying the correct price for San Simeon Silver paint.

6. Signature Red is available as a no charge color on the Signature styles.

7. Decor Accents (trim options) are currently not displayed on our site.

I really don't agree with how they are handling either the tech package
    Should have made it an option for base and performance AND an option that CAN NOT be removed from the Signatures) or the flagging the 85 kwHr as a late availability
    I would have had the "base" be the 85 kwHr and then flagged the 60 and 40 as options with a price subtraction and a flag both as late availability.

Sent an email back to them explaining:
    If for example, you are number 2,000. if you decide to get the 85 kwHr battery, you will receive it in order (NOT late availability, if everyone in front of you gets the 85 kwHr battery, you'll be the 2,000th person to get the non-signature Model S)
    If you decide to get the 60 kwHr battery, you will receive your car AFTER all the 85 kWhr have been produced (from a certain cut off- not sure what the cut off number is, if there is one)
    If you decide to get the 40 kWhr battery, you will receive your car AFTER all the 60 kwHr have been produced (from a certain cut off- not sure what the cut off number is, if there is one)

9. rlawson4

rlawson4 Member

#29 rlawson4, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
    2012 Tesla Model S Sedan Base Price With Options

Edmunds has responded. They have added the tech package. I think it is right now. Of course, those who have the spreadsheets should check the numbers for accuracy. I am pleased they have corrected it. For the configuration I have chosen the page seems to be right. I do have a tax question (I think covered in another thread.) The car I want comes out to 89750 when configured. Then I get the 7500 tax credit. I assume (please correct me) that my sales tax is based on 89750 not 82250? Also, I assume I will be paying my regular 7% Dekalb County GA sales tax? I think I will get some of that back because GA has an EV credit.

Lastly, there are several proposals to get rid of the 7500 tax credit because people don't want government subsidizing electric cars. I do not want our government ever picking winners and losers. So, I would end all subsidies. I am very conservative on this issue. However, I want EV's to have a level playing ground, so for now there should be the subsidy. We already subsidize the price of gasoline through billions in military spending and the lives of young men and women. The lives alone cannot be valued in dollars. The dollars spent are in the billions. The real price of gasoline must include the price of our military spending to secure the oil supply. So when we end the subsidy I will certainly support ending the tax credit.

10. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

Yes, sales tax on 89750. There'd be no mention of the 7,500 tax credit when you are at the Tesla store to pickup your car. Getting that credit is your (or your CPA's) headache come April 15 (or earlier) when you file your returns.

11. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Though remember that you can, by thoughtful tax planning, manage your deductions and/or quarterly estimated payments so that the $7500 is in your pocket, rather than having to wait for a check next year.

12. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

Georgia gives a $5,000 tax credit making us the second most green-friendly state after Colorado (no sales tax).

If you register the car in DeKalb then I think you pay the 7%. Unless of course it is like Amazon.com and there is no sales tax :)!

13. engle

engle Member

They still have it as the 2012 Tesla Model S, instead of 2013. I actually like that, so people know it will be produced this year.

They seem to have used my spreadsheet to correct it. When you press info next to the 60 or 85 kWh Battery options, it lists the same basic drivetrain specs I listed on the spreadsheet I sent them. The options and prices for Base model are now 100% correct, except they don't allow you to make your free Décor Accent selection. They also let you select both wheel options at the same time, which is not important, IMHO.

The most blatant error is the Model S Performance (my favorite one :biggrin:) is missing from the list of Available Models!

Signature has several misteaks:

1. All 4 exterior colors have $0 MSRP -- they try to charge for San Simeon Silver Metallic and Shasta Pearl White.
    2. The "No Preference" radio buttons for Exterior and Interior don't automatically toggle properly. (Also true of base model.)
    3. The White Interior color swatch looks grayish - not white.
    4. You can't choose your Décor Accents
    5. 19" Aerodynamic Wheels w/All-Season Tires are a "free downgrade" - not a $1,500 option on Signature.

Signature Performance has the above except for Décor Accents - since it only offers Carbon Fiber, plus 21" Wheels w/High Performance Tires is also a "free downgrade" - not a $3,500 option.

I don't think the Signature errors are that important, since U.S. signatures are sold out. I emailed the above to Edmunds, anyway, in the interests of total accurancy. I also think they should indicate "Signature" and "Signature Performance" limited to only 1,000 vehicles in the U.S., and is sold out as of *date*.

They have a laundry list of spec under the "Reviews & Specs" tab for each model. I don't have the bandwidth to check them all, perhaps someone else can who does?

Thanks to all who emailed Edmunds to get it fixed! It's ~95% correct now. Should we start using the Consumer reviews: link under "Reviews & Specs" tab to review our factory rides? :wink:

Russ

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The USA gives gas and oil companies direct subsidies of $41 billion a year.

15. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Interesting number. Is there an official source for it?

16. rlawson4

rlawson4 Member

Thanks for the information on the tax credit. I was unaware of the amount.

17. strider

strider Active Member

That is likely not an error. With the Roadsters, Tesla didn't go by "model year" like every other car manufacturer. My car was built in November, 2010 so with any other company that would have been a 2011 model but my title says 2010. Roadsters are identified by "version" instead. We'll see what they do w/ Model S.

18. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

I don't have one, but I do know how I'd start computing it. I can rattle off the tax deductions given to oil companies (start with percentage depletion on fully depreciated wells, then move on to "domestic production deduction"), and the IRS has numbers for how much deduction comes from each of those. The sub-market royalty rates on federal oil & gas leases come next...did you know that a large portion of the supposedly "owned" oil and gas rights in the US are actually leases *which terminate within 5 years*, and the federal government is charging vastly sub-market royalties, because the oil companies keep getting Congress to extend the leases to the previous leaseholders at the same submarket rates, over and over? (To be fair, I don't think the rates were submarket *in the 1920s* when the leases were first issued; it's the endless extensions which are a blatant subsidy.) The Bureau of Minerals Management would have numbers which could be used to estimate the loss due to below-market royalty rates.

Those are some of the big ones, though someone may know of other major oil subsidies I don't know about.