Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Edmunds Review - Teslaraiti follow up. I'm not the only one.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pretty much repeats most of what I've been saying for the past couple months through several prior posts and supports why, sadly, after 9 years in a Tesla, my current Model S will be my last, at least for while.

Hideous watching him try to handle that steering wheel on tight turns! Constant inadvertent touches of the wipers, blinkers, horn. That thing has to be one of the most poorly designed pieces to make its way into a modern vehicle. Tesla again, trying to fix a problem that didn't exist in their attempt to create driverless cars that for the next several years, are still going to require DRIVERS!! Too much, too soon. All other cars have gotten easier to operate, being MORE driver friendly. The Model 3 took a large step backward. Apparently a sacrifice many are willing to accept for the minimalist interior. The Model S, takes a HUGE step backward in the same respect, doubling down and then some on all the reasons I hated the Model 3 and went back to the Model S, which to me, for my use, being that I work out of my car for half the day, is a perfect blend of function and future. If having a car with the quickest acceleration in the world is of most importance to you, then there's no better option than the Tesla Model S Plaid. If having a car that still accelerates better than 90% of the cars on the road, which describes almost every other high-end EV on the market or coming to the market very soon and functions better in every other aspect with far more driver friendly functions, luxury, build quality, etc, then just about every other offering makes more sense and for less money than the $150,000 Plaid. For $50,000 less, you can get the Long Range Model S with more range and only 0.8 seconds slower 0-60 times (Plaid tested in real world at 2.3, not 1.99). LR is 3.1 0-60.

Teslarati attempts to defend Tesla and the bad Edmunds review by quoting other reviews. However, fails to mention that those other reviews, despite being overall favorable toward the new Model S, still had the same exact complaints about the Model S (Build quality, driver function, the yoke, etc). But, because most reviewers fear that Tesla will not let them be reviewers of their products anymore, all unbiased reviews still end up being biased as these guys never want to bash a car completely in fear that they may be blacklisted by the manuffacturer. Happens with all cars, not just Tesla.

Even posters on the forum that come to defend the Tesla say "it's great, it's great", but then add the "but, this and this could be better", referring to all the same things most others are complaining about. Just comes down to what's most important in a car to each particular owner / driver and what sacrifices are deemed to be worth it. Don't get me wrong, the Tesla Model S is an absolutely incredible car in its own right. And here's my "but", the sacrifices have increased and for me in particular, too much so to outweigh the positives, hence my decision to move on for now.

I dunno, I only have a couple hundred miles on my car, but I haven't inadvertently pressed a button yet. The yoke is different than a wheel, but I was able to adapt to it relatively quickly (my driveway has a few tight turns at 10-20mph). It's a non-issue. The build quality is far nicer than my previous Ses. Everything said in the video makes me wonder if he really actually drove the same car I am, as it all just seems counter to my experiences.

Honestly, I wrote it off as clickbait for ad revenue or Edmunds being scared they aren't relevant anymore, so they made this video so everyone on forums would talk about them again. I don't know about anyone else, but I haven't been on their site in years.

I dunno, I only have a couple hundred miles on my car, but I haven't inadvertently pressed a button yet. The yoke is different than a wheel, but I was able to adapt to it relatively quickly (my driveway has a few tight turns at 10-20mph). It's a non-issue. The build quality is far nicer than my previous Ses. Everything said in the video makes me wonder if he really actually drove the same car I am, as it all just seems counter to my experiences.

Honestly, I wrote it off as clickbait for ad revenue or Edmunds being scared they aren't relevant anymore, so they made this video so everyone on forums would talk about them again. I don't know about anyone else, but I haven't been on their site in years.
The only real difference in the Edmunds review is that they concluded it on a down note, while most others conclude on a positive note, changing the tone of the review results. However, in reality, nearly EVERY review has had the same commentary, both praise and dislikes of the refreshed Model S. Simply perception. Edmunds, to their credit, also gave much praise to the car. They just concluded it more sourly than do most of the others.

And again, for most drivers, that simply commute to and from work, the complaints are less of an issue as they come up less frequently. For those, like me, that spend half the day, or longer, in the car, then the functional issues come up far more frequently. So, one negative review does not mean it will be a horrible experience for all, just like one positive review does not ensure that the car will be the best thing on the planet for all. Naturally, like anything, it's all subjective based on each particular owner / driver's personal needs for their own personal driving demands. A lot of people like a green car, while a lot of people don't.

The only difference here is that, the downsides to the refreshed Model S have been touched upon in almost every single review, rather than just one particular user. So, it simply comes down to how much that sacrifice offsets the positives for each particular buyer.

To me it appears to be modeled after a F1 steering wheel. The guy was exaggerating his movements with the yoke to make a point. Just because he didn’t get the hang of it on test day in the rental model S, does not mean an astute owner with lots of seat time will have the same problem. And one foot rollout is the industry standard.

To me it appears to be modeled after a F1 steering wheel. The guy was exaggerating his movements with the yoke to make a point. Just because he didn’t get the hang of it on test day in the rental model S, does not mean an astute owner with lots of seat time will have the same problem. And one foot rollout is the industry standard.
I think the bigger point is, it's still awkward when having to quickly do full wheel turns. Sure, you'll get used to just about anything and adapt. But, for me and many others, when spending $150,000 on a car, you don't want to have to "get used to it". For the majority of the public, they would prefer the comfort of a full steering wheel, me included. Also, the wheel / yoke being much wider also adds to the awkwardness as your hands are further apart, making much bigger movements, which is less comfortable as well.

The video is not wrong in the fact that Tesla likely did it because of the very reason we're having this discussion. The fact that we're having it at all is exactly what Tesla wants. Tesla doesn't do conventional advertising. While 99% of the public have absolutely no "need" for a 9 second family sedan or SUV, it is a capability that no other car has and keeps people talking. Just as the yoke/joke thing does. It's an absolute certainty that Tesla WILL at some point offer a full steering wheel.

Right now, all manufacturers are struggling to produce cars due to parts shortages. So for now, Tesla can't build enough cars to satisfy demand. However, once parts are available again and they can ramp back up production figures and get their current backlog, then all the moms or business people that won't even think of purchasing a car with that thing (and there are many) will start to hurt Tesla's bottom line. Just prior to that will be when Tesla offers a full wheel to appeal to all, not just a niche group. My guess is that the horn will move back to the airbag, the shifter and blinker situation will be improved.

In the meantime, Tesla is LOVING the fact that everyone's talking about a Tesla. As they say, bad press is better than no press.

Screenshot_20210907-191717.png

Screenshot_20210907-191730.png

I think the bigger point is, it's still awkward when having to quickly do full wheel turns. Sure, you'll get used to just about anything and adapt. But, for me and many others, when spending $150,000 on a car, you don't want to have to "get used to it". For the majority of the public, they would prefer the comfort of a full steering wheel, me included. Also, the wheel / yoke being much wider also adds to the awkwardness as your hands are further apart, making much bigger movements, which is less comfortable as well.

The video is not wrong in the fact that Tesla likely did it because of the very reason we're having this discussion. The fact that we're having it at all is exactly what Tesla wants. Tesla doesn't do conventional advertising. While 99% of the public have absolutely no "need" for a 9 second family sedan or SUV, it is a capability that no other car has and keeps people talking. Just as the yoke/joke thing does. It's an absolute certainty that Tesla WILL at some point offer a full steering wheel.

Right now, all manufacturers are struggling to produce cars due to parts shortages. So for now, Tesla can't build enough cars to satisfy demand. However, once parts are available again and they can ramp back up production figures and get their current backlog, then all the moms or business people that won't even think of purchasing a car with that thing (and there are many) will start to hurt Tesla's bottom line. Just prior to that will be when Tesla offers a full wheel to appeal to all, not just a niche group. My guess is that the horn will move back to the airbag, the shifter and blinker situation will be improved.

In the meantime, Tesla is LOVING the fact that everyone's talking about a Tesla. As they say, bad press is better than no press.
So you have this opinion not ever driving a new Model S?

Reactions: K5TRX and SO16
Edmunds review reflects how much they were paid.

So many people tell me they would not buy a new Tesla due to the yoke....with no first hand experience.

I agree - it is not perfect. IMO - the buttons could be improved but I enjoy my commute more in my plaid than my P85D by a huge amount.

All of this would go away if they simply had a regular wheel option…. There was even one designed which could be seen in the configurator months ago. Was yanked away/not implemented last minute.

Personally, I am young and don’t mind learning something new. I think the Yoke is cool. I like the idea of no stalks and buttons on the wheel. But my grandfather at 76? He needs a wheel at minimum. He’s not going force himself to relearn something like this after over 50 years of muscle memory. Plenty of people like this who just aren’t interested in adapting around something like this.

Reactions: juanmedina
All of this would go away if they simply had a regular wheel option…. There was even one designed which could be seen in the configurator months ago. Was yanked away/not implemented last minute.
THAT'S THE PROBLEM. As the video indicates, Tesla in no way shape or form did it because it's better. They already know damn good and well that at least 80% of drivers on the road won't touch it. And as I noted, at which time that parts shortages are no longer and they are able to produce more cars, then they will absolutely offer a full wheel, at least as an option. In the meantime, it was done for this exact reason. People are talking about and constantly talking about it. EXACTLY what Tesla wanted.

Can almost guarantee that when that time comes, the buttons will be changed around as well. The place of them on the wheel is horrible.
As I noted in another thread, this was a problem that didn't exist and they tried to fix something that wasn't broken. I love new innovation. This was an opportunity to make it great, especially as it relates to the confines we're in with a Tesla. Just a little more thought before doing it could have gone a long way and they could have really made it cool AND practically functional.

Just like with AutoPilot, you can no doubt expect to hear people who crash their cars to find a way to blame it on the car because half the wheel is gone and they couldn't turn in time! What was it last week, a guy blamed the car because auto pilot didn't stop him from nailing the throttle instead of the brake pedal, it was autopilot's fault since it didn't turn itself on and prevent him from making a mistake!

Reactions: Wol747 and QUBO
Except for the most important aspect of an F1 steering wheel: it's not 2.33 turns lock-to-lock.

If Tesla boosted it so it never went past 90deg like in a F1 car it would be the proper application of this design rather than some poser "look at me" trick that severely impacts the fundamental performance of steering in a negative fashion. This is akin to stating that "Hey, Falcon Heavy has no windshield so why does Model S need one?" in terms of relevance.

I would have paid MONEY to have a round wheel and stalks as an option over the yoke. Literally would have paid money to get what is essentially a standard feature. Tesla missed out on additional revenue opportunity as I suspect I would not have been the only one..

alternatively? Could have made yoke an optional feature reserved only for the Plaid drivetrain, since its so great and groundbreaking and all...