Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Edmunds tests 5% Power increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen a few of these videos, still not a huge fan of how they're represented, we have to make some assumptions that the testing is fair.

One thing in Tesla testing favor here is that EVs aren't particularly impacted by temperature changes, humidity changes, etc.

However, their (and others) testing still doesn't address a lot of possible variability:
1. Tire condition for launch (probably not huge given AWD and how much Tesla hooks), however, warmer ground temp makes a big difference. Considering it's now May, likely they tested the original test when the ground temp was much cooler.
2. SoC for the tests. Even 10% battery change can have large differences.
3. Winds can change performance significantly.

I really want to see a test that is effectively the following:
1. Tesla shows new update available, tester doesn't update. Battery at 90% SoC.
2. Tester runs 1/4 mile tests (average of 3)
3. Tester immediately performs update
4. Tester charges car back to 90% SoC
5. Tester runs second 1/4 mile tests (average of 3)
Assumption above: Weather/Wind hasn't changed

That's the fairest and closest test. It sounds like this test had months in between them, the variability of 0.1 seconds in a 1/4 mile is within the margin of tire/wind differences. Given the minimal power change, any test not done back to back at any different SoC isn't really valid.

Last edited:
I've seen a few of these videos, still not a huge fan of how they're represented, we have to make some assumptions that the testing is fair.

One thing in Tesla testing favor here is that EVs aren't particularly impacted by temperature changes, humidity changes, etc.

However, their (and others) testing still doesn't address a lot of possible variability:
1. Tire condition for launch (probably not huge given AWD and how much Tesla hooks), however, warmer ground temp makes a big difference. Considering it's now May, likely they tested the original test when the ground temp was much cooler.
2. SoC for the tests. Even 10% battery change can have large differences.
3. Winds can change performance significantly.

I really want to see a test that is effectively the following:
1. Tesla shows new update available, tester doesn't update. Battery at 90% SoC.
2. Tester runs 1/4 mile tests (average of 3)
3. Tester immediately performs update
4. Tester charges car back to 90% SoC
5. Tester runs second 1/4 mile tests (average of 3)
Assumption above: Weather/Wind hasn't changed

That's the fairest and closest test. It sounds like this test had months in between them, the variability of 0.1 seconds in a 1/4 mile is within the margin of tire/wind differences. Given the minimal power change, any test not done back to back at any different SoC isn't really valid.

Agree, that is the ideal way of testing. 0.1 gain at 1/4 mile is within margin of error, but the change in 0-60 is there.(with same tires).

I am looking back at their previous test, they did test in April 2018 with 19 inch continental which gave 5.1 seconds 0-60. and same 1/4 mile as current test.

So improvement from then to now.. only by 0.1 seconds from 0-60 with different tires( Continental 19inch vs 18inch Michelin). Probably they would see slight improvement if they switch to continental and test it now.

That's what originally quoted by Tesla in 2017. Now, there is no spec anywhere telling what is actual HP.
Again, what is quoted and what you get may be different. Many BMWs are under rated for example by sizable margin.

I thought that was for LR-RWD, and I thought Edmunds was using LR-AWD which I understand to have horsepower closer to 350. I kind of felt LR-RWD = 250, LR-AWD = 350, PERF-AWD = 450 before. Those are just estimates but almost a 100 hp difference between levels. I don't care enough to research it.

I get paid too much to do your research for you. However, I can direct you to Youtube.com, where the search bar will fulfill your every fantasy, for free.
Yeah, your statement is funny. All those are amateur video without proper test equipment, and none I saw are for RWD either.
I was hoping to see proper tests from established organizations, not someone putting an iPad and measuring.... Lol I can do that too.. :)

FYI, I watched this video previously.

• Disagree
Reactions: alexGS and Triplett
Oh ya, because that useless Edmunds video really set the bar for controlled scientific testing.....perhaps you should try and focus on the ACTUAL POINT that I made; that the Edmunds video is a little late to the party.

Clearly you have NO idea what equipment DAErik uses.

Regardless of what you think of DAErik's video, it beat Edmunds to market by 30 odd days. That's the ACTUAL POINT.

Oh, and I can explain why almost all of the videos don't feature the lowest performing RWD model.

• Disagree
Reactions: chinnam3
Oh ya, because that useless Edmunds video really set the bar for controlled scientific testing.....perhaps you should try and focus on the ACTUAL POINT that I made; that the Edmunds video is a little late to the party.

Clearly you have NO idea what equipment DAErik uses.

Regardless of what you think of DAErik's video, it beat Edmunds to market by 30 odd days. That's the ACTUAL POINT.

Oh, and I can explain why almost all of the videos don't feature the lowest performing RWD model.

I see you have no idea that Edmunds have their own test track, and proper equipment to do that testing. I do appreciate DAErik's providing his input, and nothing wrong with doing his tests with what he has. But I would trust some one with proper test track and equipment.

Oh, and about lowest performing RWD, you know that those are the first to be manufactured, isn't it? And do you know Edmunds got that car very a year and half ago. I guess not.