Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EDR remote access for privacy data request

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello.

I own a 2022 Model Y, and was involved in an air bag deploying collision last week. Since I was using autopilot, my insurance company suggested that I request privacy data to get an EDR. Unfortunately, no data came back for the date of the incident. I think this might be because the vehicle is off after the incident. I'm not entirely sure why it's off since the battery is more than half charged. It seems like it might be a safety feature after the accident.

I've read in the manual that the data can be retrieved through cables or possibly remotely. Given that the cables are expensive, I'm looking into how the data can be accessed remotely. Do I need to have the vehicle powered on for an extended period of time while the data is requested? Or will the data transmit automatically if the vehicle is on for a day or so? I don't think there's a good way to coordinate data retrieval with Tesla since I'm not even able to find a customer support number for something like this.

Any help or advice will be appreciated. Thank you!

Serious collisions trigger the high voltage battery pyro fuse to blow, disconnecting it from the rest of the car’s systems. This is why your car is “dead” despite having a charge - your low voltage battery is dead and has no way to charge. The car will certainly need to be powered on in some fashion to transmit data over the network or locally.