Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EEstor ultra-capacitors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re: Ultracapacitors?

Brent said:
Because it's in the French papers, this article last April seemed to escape much notice among anglophones. Plus, I haven't seen any of the promised prototypes since its publication.

Babelfish gave me this: http://tinyurl.com/yun7uf

Babelfish has improved a lot, most of the article is actually comprehensible.

Most interesting part to me. . . They are projecting 2/3 the volumetric energy density of li-ion. So hypothetically you could drop these into a Tesla Roadster and get about 150 miles range, lighter weight, fast recharge, and indefinite service life. Not bad.

However, it should be apparent that they don't even have a demonstrable prototype yet, and they are quite a few years from finding their way into products of any kind.

Re: Ultracapacitors?

Much of the volume of Tesla Motor's battery pack is given over to cooling and other subsystems. I wonder whether a nano-capacitor of the same size would store the rough energy equivalent, such that the lower energy density is made up for by larger volume? Additionally, would it be possible to integrate safely a nano-capacitor into the core structure of a car? Given the capacitor's lifespan, you really wouldn't need to think about replacement, so they might go into some fairly unconventional places.

At the same time I got that news article, I saw this one...
SoCal Heat Wave Strains Power Grid - Forbes.com
Makes me wonder about the impact of a couple thousand "fast charge" cars on the grid.

In certain areas it might pose a problem, but not necessarily. The way I imagine it, fast charge stations would charge a premium for the privilege, so only those who have to use them would do so. Most likely, these fast charge stations would not try to pull all that power from the grid at once, but would charge up stationary banks of NanoSafe's, or Ultra caps, or something at night at reduced rates. Then When you plug into the fast charge "pumps" you're pulling last nights energy from the batteries or caps. Maybe :p

Remnants_of_a_Ghost_Town.jpg

RE:

I have always thought Tesla should be using the "dual" system of Ultracaps and Lith batts to reduce the strain of stop and go driving on the cars chemical based power source.

At the same time I know that Elon studied Ultracaps in college so I would think he would be able to look at the current technology and determine if it is ready for prime time yet.

Supercaps. The sexy science.

There would certainly be a lot more engineering required to integrate ultra-caps. One point brought up is that the voltage range from 'full' to 'empty' is much greater, so your PEM/inverter electronics would be more complicated.

Then there is the price/availability question...

I have always thought Tesla should be using the "dual" system of Ultracaps and Lith batts to reduce the strain of stop and go driving on the cars chemical based power source.

Problem is, current ultracaps may not suffice. They bring too little on the table to be worth the effort, cost, added complexity and possible points of failure.

One point brought up is that the voltage range from 'full' to 'empty' is much greater, so your PEM/inverter electronics would be more complicated.

Has anyone found out what could be done? Wide range DC/DC converters are supposed to be inefficient - efficient only in thin voltage range.

Sometime ago I was thinking of dynamically reconfigurable ultracap grid. When fully charged it would be mostly parallel connections, then as it discharges, the connections would reconfigure into serial ones keeping the outcoming voltage higher. Trouble is, this could be done as long the ultracap-storage still contained most of the total charge.

Sometime ago I was thinking of dynamically reconfigurable ultracap grid. When fully charged it would be mostly parallel connections, then as it discharges, the connections would reconfigure into serial ones keeping the outcoming voltage higher.

From my semi-naive standpoint that sounds like an idea with some potential.

The Lockheed Martin article offers huge potential. Downside is lack of a prototype.

Assuming EEStor produces a battery (or equivalent) that gets > 500 mpc why would the volt even require an RE? Would be simpler and less expensive to make it a pure EV.

Hope WhiteStar decision makers are aware of EEStor’s progress.

Lockheed has not seen a working prototype but said that qualification testing and mass production of EEStor's system is planned for late 2008.

I was hoping at least they've seen some actual product as those test were also planned long time ago. I am not counting on them any more. If they will come out with something then great, otherwise we'll just live with LiIon.

The Best is the enemy of the good. How very true.