Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Efergy Energy Monitor System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pictures were taken with 1 CT Loop. Yesterday, I tried with 2 - setting voltage to 120V and the error is less pronounced (around 21.6kW reported) . Efergy tells me it might be related to the "power factor" but I don't feel this is the problem here... I'm not running big AC motor that shift the phase here...

The conductors are really close to one another... But since using both CT yield 50% of the error, my feeling is that I might have 1 defective CT.

I'll try it out tomorrow with one CT.. the 2nd one I have and check for errors.

I doubt that it is power factor either, besides any descent power meter these days should deal with any power factor correctly. On top of that, the Tesla chargers meet some pretty strict power factor and THD requirements for Europe.

I doubt that it is power factor either, besides any descent power meter these days should deal with any power factor correctly. On top of that, the Tesla chargers meet some pretty strict power factor and THD requirements for Europe.

Same here. That would figure to a power factor of 0.8 or so. I can't imagine Tesla would opt for that given some of the restrictions around the world.

Always been a fan of eGauge monitors. Hold up to 30 years of data, easy to backup and upgrade firmware, displays line voltage among other variables. If you have solar it can even be setup to run a sun output meter to make sure your array is dialed in and a wind speed indicator for wind generation comparison. 12 CTs per unit and the units can be daisy chained. Configurable to notify in the event of an abnormal power signature for specific devices (early warning of a heat pump, well pump or other appliance failure. Can be setup to notify in the event of power draw or shutoff (EV charger usage or say a basement freezer fails)

Ok.

Turns out I have 1 defective CT.

They are shipping a new one right away. Great service.

Quick followup on this old thread.

I never received the replacement CT. After contacting them about it, they refuse to send me another one for free. That "great service" comment was done a bit early I guess.

I'm dumping the system and installing an eGauge3 : https://www.egauge.net/products/EG3000/

It's an order of magnitude more expensive but I'll be monitoring a lot more stuff.