Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Effect of 0 range for several weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So even though I don't own the car anymore, I get notifications from the Tesla app about my recently sold P85D. We sold it about 3 weeks ago and it the app started to alert me that the car needed a charge about 2.5 weeks ago. The car sat in the dealer's lot with 0 miles range showing, then they charged it to about 10 miles range a few days ago and moved it to a wholesaler's lot in Hayward, where it sits with, again, 0 range.

I should probably just delete the app, but I was wondering whether the lack of charge will affect the car. It was a very reliable, solid car for us and whoever buys it will have a great car, but if the lack of charge has any ill effects I sort of feel obligated to post the VIN to warn buyers who may frequent the forum.

...0 range...

The first symptom you would see is the inability to charge the car back up again, not because of the dead main battery but because the main battery would sacrifice the 12V battery and kill it so the main battery can survive in a dormant state.

The fact that you can connect to that car means its 12V is alive and the main battery still has some more time to live.

• Informative
Reactions: Eclectic
The VIN is 69152.

I guess we got lucky with the price...the dealer who we traded it to gave us $53k and then tried to sell it for $56k, dropped it to $55k and then sent it to auction.

Assuming that the 0 range on the battery isn't going to hurt it, anyone looking for a P85D+ should keep an eye out for this care. Like I said, we never had a single problem with it and it's a + with the next gen rear seats (and it's green). Someone will get a pretty good deal on this when the auction folks (or the place that buys it) put it back on the market.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D