Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Effect of cold on range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have recently bought a 2015 P85D with 43k miles on it. During my commute this morning (6am), when the outside temperature was 39F, the watt per mile was about 140 higher than the usual. Normally, on the same commute the car takes 350w/mi but today it took 490w/mi.

Is this normal or should I get the car checked as it’s under full 4 year warranty?

• Disagree
Reactions: CyberShy
I have recently bought a 2015 P85D with 43k miles on it. During my commute this morning (6am), when the outside temperature was 39F, the watt per mile was about 140 higher than the usual. Normally, on the same commute the car takes 350w/mi but today it took 490w/mi.

Is this normal or should I get the car checked as it’s under full 4 year warranty?
That sounds about right. How long is your commute? It takes a while for the battery to warm up.

CPO, I drive about 30 mins also and I've found that using Range Mode helps a little but you will be Regen reduced for about 20 miles. For those of us that aren't dealing with very cold areas it helps by it not turning the battery heater because it lowers the set point of it.