Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Effect of Lift Kit on Model Y Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mountain Pass Performance offers a 1.75" suspension lift kit for the Model Y. I'm looking for some first-hand feedback on the impact on range. I've seen speculations and guesses, but I'd really like to hear from someone who has experienced the difference.

Andrew

Have you watched i1 Tesla’s vids on his lift?

Thanks! Yeah, that was not exactly good news, but neither is it an ideal representation of what I am curious about.

He claims to have gotten about 350 Watt-hours/mile. I typically get around 250 on the highway with my stock long-range, dual-motor. At that rate he is realizing something like 70% of my current range. I will be driving at more like 65 miles/hour (105 km/h) which saves a bit, no roof rack saves a bit more, and stock tires are probably a little more efficient.

The video is informative, but I still need to see data on just the 1.75" lift to make a decision. I desperately want to lift the car for ground clearance in the snow. The lift kit ain't cheap, and when you factor in installation and wheel alignment it would be an expensive PITA to install the lift kit, find the impact untenable, and undo everything.

Reactions: gt2690b
I will just mention that I have a 2017 Model S. I put snows on it and it was the best car I've ever driven in the snow. I've had Pathfinders, 4Runners, Audis, Bmws, etc. The S, weighing so much, went through anything and everything with zero drama. Was just a tank. I live in Denver and go to the mountains frequently for reference. My neighbor with his lifted Yukon was amazed as I powered through 12" of snow without issue.

Thanks! Yeah, that was not exactly good news, but neither is it an ideal representation of what I am curious about.

He claims to have gotten about 350 Watt-hours/mile. I typically get around 250 on the highway with my stock long-range, dual-motor. At that rate he is realizing something like 70% of my current range. I will be driving at more like 65 miles/hour (105 km/h) which saves a bit, no roof rack saves a bit more, and stock tires are probably a little more efficient.

The video is informative, but I still need to see data on just the 1.75" lift to make a decision. I desperately want to lift the car for ground clearance in the snow. The lift kit ain't cheap, and when you factor in installation and wheel alignment it would be an expensive PITA to install the lift kit, find the impact untenable, and undo everything.

Reactions: David99
I just want to chime in on this. I did the MPP lift kit with spacers on my OEM Induction 20’s, and went with Yoko X-CV in a beefy 285/45/20 setup. I also have the OEM roof rack on my Y.

I will be removing the lift kit, the rack, and going with a smaller tire. Or buying 19’s and having my current setup as my mountain/camping setup only.

The pros are that it’s definitely a more comfortable ride. The larger tire definitely makes the suspension feel on the more plush side. It also looks pretty cool.

However, the cons are that I took a HUGE range hit. Definitely not worth it for me since I spend most of my time driving around SoCal streets and freeways. Also, the tire rubs a bit on the wheel liner at full lock turns. I’ve average 370 kw/h for 16k+ miles.

Attachments

• IMG_3054.png
    IMG_3054.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3055.png
    IMG_3055.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9480.jpeg
    IMG_9480.jpeg
    662.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9479.jpeg
    IMG_9479.jpeg
    713.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9215.jpeg
    IMG_9215.jpeg
    381.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 70002272851__323A9EE3-B012-46AE-9A9B-54F8723A77BC.jpeg
    70002272851__323A9EE3-B012-46AE-9A9B-54F8723A77BC.jpeg
    386.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3053.jpeg
    IMG_3053.jpeg
    569.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Informative
Reactions: David99
I just want to chime in on this. I did the MPP lift kit with spacers on my OEM Induction 20’s, and went with Yoko X-CV in a beefy 285/45/20 setup. I also have the OEM roof rack on my Y.

I will be removing the lift kit, the rack, and going with a smaller tire. Or buying 19’s and having my current setup as my mountain/camping setup only.

The pros are that it’s definitely a more comfortable ride. The larger tire definitely makes the suspension feel on the more plush side. It also looks pretty cool.

However, the cons are that I took a HUGE range hit. Definitely not worth it for me since I spend most of my time driving around SoCal streets and freeways. Also, the tire rubs a bit on the wheel liner at full lock turns. I’ve average 370 kw/h for 16k+ miles.
Wow this is good info. I thought about selling my OEM induction 20s but after reading your post I guess I will do a similar set up (285/45/20) for summer. I just don't know if I can do it without the lift kit and spacers...

I wonder how much of the efficiency hit was from the lift vs the tires? The OEM rack is negligible, I think I saw a few percentage extra lost if that. When I first installed my Ohlins coils and 19s, prior to adjustment they sat pretty high. I didn't notice much of a range decrease either, but, too many different things going on to to be sure.

I wonder how much of the efficiency hit was from the lift vs the tires? The OEM rack is negligible, I think I saw a few percentage extra lost if that. When I first installed my Ohlins coils and 19s, prior to adjustment they sat pretty high. I didn't notice much of a range decrease either, but, too many different things going on to to be sure.
i put the lift kit on within a month of taking delivery (nov 2021)... my lifetime (55k miles) is 272wh/mi and i generally run 235/60/18 winter (blizzaks) and 245/55/18 summer (various) ... the winters are cold here in Colorado so i'm pretty happy at 272 with a lift kit

Last edited:
i put the lift kit on within a month of taking delivery (nov 2021)... my lifetime (55k miles) is 272wh/mi and i generally run 235/60/18 winter (blizzaks) and 245/55/18 summer (various) ... the winters are cold here in Colorado so i'm pretty happy at 272 with a lift kit

I was seeing 270s with the 21s, stock! That's not bad at all. I didn't see a huge decrease in range when I put my 19" winters on or when the crossbars went up...but the ski rack is killing efficiency.

Reactions: gt2690b