TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Effect of MS hitch installation on trade-in

Discussion in 'Model S' started by pmc1, Mar 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. pmc1

pmc1 Member

I'm pondering whether to install a torklift ecohitch in order to carry a couple of bikes on my 2016 refresh MS. I've read the threads about them and it seems like the installation is fairly straightforward. One concern I have is what potential problems this might cause if I choose to trade in the car later on.

I've read where Tesla sometimes decreases the trade in value vehicles with aftermarket mods as they must restore the vehicle to factory specs. I'm curious if anybody with a trailer hitch install has any experience with trading the vehicle in to Tesla (rather than a third party) and if there was any impact on trade-in value.

Thanks.

2. George Jetson

George Jetson Member

Wondering the same thing. I have a 65 pound e-bike that is not going on a roof rack.

3. whitex

whitex Active Member

Remove the hitch before getting a trade-in estimate?

• Like x 1
  4. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

No impact - private party makes it more marketable, Tesla will remove it - to reset the car to stock - completely idiotic. I have had them on all three Model S's - with no issues. I have three 48 volt 15 amp Pedego Electric Bikes that we carry on the back - 2 on my car and one on my wifes.

5. pmc1

pmc1 Member

Good info. My concern was more around the hole that they cut in the underside of the bumper. Does Tesla subtract the cost of a new bumper (I'm sure it's very reasonably priced... ) from the trade in value?

6. George Jetson

George Jetson Member

Can you recommend a good bike rack for my Stromer ST2? Stromer2.png

7. kort677

kort677 Banned

I had the torklift installed on my car and if properly installed it wouldn't be very visible. when I traded in my car it was never mentioned, and the inspector did note it because I pointed it out. some would consider it to be an upgrade

8. kort677

kort677 Banned

FWIW
    the install is not the easiest thing to do, what the torklift video doesn't show you is all the work it takes to get the rear bumper panel off and reinstalled.
    as for trade in it was no issue for me.

9. pmc1

pmc1 Member

To george's question, i've read about the yakima fullswing that a lot of people have and like. Supposedly very sturdy and swings out when loaded so you can access the hatch.

I'm encouraged by what i'm hearing of people's experiences. Just to clarify though, did those of you who responded trade in to tesla directly or to a third party person/dealer?

10. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member