Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Effect of speed, air conditioning, and wheels on range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

T34ME

Mar 31, 2016
Inland Empire
Tesla has put an interactive calculator on the Model S page that allows you to play with differences in speed, air conditioning, and wheel size and their effect on range. I hope that they will put a similar calculator on the Model 3 page in the near future. Realize that calculations for the MS may not extrapolate exactly to the T3 but it does give a clue for what we might expect from the T3. Go to the MS page and play with the variables yourself, it is very interesting!

Increasing the speed on the MS from 60mph to 70mph reduces range by ~17%. I would think that increasing speed from 65mph to 75mph would have an even larger impact on range.

If one maintains every other variable constant, turning on the a/c at 90F out side temperature as compared to leaving the a/c off at 70F outside temperature, decreases range by ~4%. Turning on the heat at a lower outside temperature has an even greater impact on range.

Increasing the wheel size from 19" to 21" while other variables remain constant decreases range by ~2%

Increasing all, speed from 60mph to 70mph, turning on the a/c when outside temperature is 90F, and increasing wheel size from 19" to 21" has a COMBINED decrease in range of ~23%!

For comparison,I expect that driving my Model 3 at 65mph, with the a/c on at 90F outside temperature, and using the aero wheel covers on 18" wheels will give me a MINIMUM of 15% to 20% better range than someone driving 75mph, with the a/c on at 90F outside temperature, with the 19" sport wheels.

YMMV.

Tesla has put an interactive calculator on the Model S page that allows you to play with differences in speed, air conditioning, and wheel size and their effect on range. I hope that they will put a similar calculator on the Model 3 page in the near future. Realize that calculations for the MS may not extrapolate exactly to the T3 but it does give a clue for what we might expect from the T3. Go to the MS page and play with the variables yourself, it is very interesting!

Increasing the speed on the MS from 60mph to 70mph reduces range by ~17%. I would think that increasing speed from 65mph to 75mph would have an even larger impact on range.

If one maintains every other variable constant, turning on the a/c at 90F out side temperature as compared to leaving the a/c off at 70F outside temperature, decreases range by ~4%. Turning on the heat at a lower outside temperature has an even greater impact on range.

Increasing the wheel size from 19" to 21" while other variables remain constant decreases range by ~2%

Increasing all, speed from 60mph to 70mph, turning on the a/c when outside temperature is 90F, and increasing wheel size from 19" to 21" has a COMBINED decrease in range of ~23%!

For comparison,I expect that driving my Model 3 at 65mph, with the a/c on at 90F outside temperature, and using the aero wheel covers on 18" wheels will give me a MINIMUM of 15% to 20% better range than someone driving 75mph, with the a/c on at 90F outside temperature, with the 19" sport wheels.

YMMV.

What's with all the fake hyperlinks? ;)

Wow 23% range decrease for just going 70mph and with A/C on?? No wonder during my occasional San Diego to Irvine drive, I have seen only two Teslas outside San Diego. Even though they are only 75 miles apart. I was hoping that my long range M3 would be sufficient for this trip(weekend soccer tournaments). Now I think I'll have to take my ICE for these trips.

• Disagree
Reactions: mhan00 and RobertF
Wow 23% range decrease for just going 70mph and with A/C on?? No wonder during my occasional San Diego to Irvine drive, I have seen only two Teslas outside San Diego. Even though they are only 75 miles apart. I was hoping that my long range M3 would be sufficient for this trip(weekend soccer tournaments). Now I think I'll have to take my ICE for these trips.
Perhaps you have not seen many Teslas because there are not many right now, relative to other cars. This 150 mile trip should be no problem; no charging required, even with the standard battery model if you start with 100% charge.

Perhaps you have not seen many Teslas because there are not many right now, relative to other cars. This 150 mile trip should be no problem; no charging required, even with the standard battery model if you start with 100% charge.

In San Diego, I think ever 10-15th car is a Tesla(or it seems). On the freeway, you can find one any time you look. You just don't see too many leaving town going north towards Orange County.

Presuming you are sincere, if you drive 70mph with the a/c on and 90F outside temperature with the 18" wheels it might decrease your range by 15 or 20% according to the MS calculator. Let's assume the worst case scenario of 20%. The LR version of the Model 3 is rated at 310 miles. On your theoretical trip that means a range of 248 miles (310 - 20%). Say you leave home with a 100% charge and you want to return home with a 20% charge remaining. That means you have a range of 198 miles (248 x 80% (100% - 20%)). You can easily make your theoretical round trip without recharging.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61

YMMV.

This is very helpful, thanks.

Would you suppose that the percentage increase in cost per mile, would be very nearly the same, as the percentage decrease in range (under the circumstances you proposed)?

Scannerman

Presuming you are sincere, if you drive 70mph with the a/c on and 90F outside temperature with the 18" wheels it might decrease your range by 15 or 20% according to the MS calculator. Let's assume the worst case scenario of 20%. The LR version of the Model 3 is rated at 310 miles. On your theoretical trip that means a range of 248 miles (310 - 20%). Say you leave home with a 100% charge and you want to return home with a 20% charge remaining. That means you have a range of 198 miles (248 x 80% (100% - 20%)). You can easily make your theoretical round trip without recharging.

Of course I am sincere. First of all I don't just drive at 70mph. I am more of a 75-80mph type of person. I am sure that is another 10% drop. But I can learn to drive with some zen.

Plus when I am in there, my son's games are sometimes 20-30 miles from each other, plus in between games we step out for lunch, that could be another 10-20 miles. If need to use the supercharger, I need be able to get to it. That could be another 10-30 miles. So little by little it adds up.

In an ICE, I would not have to think twice how much freeway speed would limit me later. With an EV, you truly have to plan ahead. I'll try this trip soon enough and find out. We have six games planned this coming weekend. Maybe Musk can lend me test car. :)

Reactions: jsmay311
Of course I am sincere. First of all I don't just drive at 70mph. I am more of a 75-80mph type of person. I am sure that is another 10% drop. But I can learn to drive with some zen.

Plus when I am in there, my son's games are sometimes 20-30 miles from each other, plus in between games we step out for lunch, that could be another 10-20 miles. If need to use the supercharger, I need be able to get to it. That could be another 10-30 miles. So little by little it adds up.

In an ICE, I would not have to think twice how much freeway speed would limit me later. With an EV, you truly have to plan ahead. I'll try this trip soon enough and find out. We have six games planned this coming weekend. Maybe Musk can lend me test car. :)
I think the calculator on the Tesla website assumes you are averaging 70mph. I've lived in California my entire life and I speed as much as I can and I don't think I've ever managed to actually average 70mph on a trip. I just did a trip from SF to Napa , it's about 160 miles total and my average speed was 45mph. Also, remember you'll get some additional range with regen breaking.

You may try to drive up to 80 mph on those highways, but you will not AVERAGE that speed unless you are driving from 1 AM to 3 AM. More like 65 mph or perhaps a lot less, which means close to 300 miles on a full charge. So 150+30+20=200 miles, NO PROBLEM. On the way home there is a Supercharger station, no extra miles or complex planning needed.

This is very helpful, thanks.

Would you suppose that the percentage increase in cost per mile, would be very nearly the same, as the percentage decrease in range (under the circumstances you proposed)?

Scannerman
Not sure I understand your question. But if you mean the cost of electricity per mile, THAT DEPENDS! I make a 150 mile round trip at 65/70mph a couple of times a month to visit DD (dear daughters). I will make that trip at no cost of electricity because I have Solar City on my roof and I recharge for "free."

Learning to drive an EV will require a learning curve. Let's take your theoretical 150 mile round trip (I realize that it may vary depending on location of soccer games). The difference in driving that 150 miles between 65mph and 75mph is 18 minutes total. Would you rather slow down to 65mph and take 18 minutes longer or speed up to 75mph and then spend 20 to 30 minutes extra at an SC? Each one of us will decide which scenario works best for us. And as others have said, you will average much less than 75mph on the typical trip.

Good luck at the games and have fun.

Reactions: DR61